Observations of the Random sort

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Sandy » 17 Jan 2018, 17:07

thoreau wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 17:04
What's next? Accusing a man of assault because he didn't realize that the naked woman who voluntarily sucked his dick wasn't interested in doing anything sexual?
Look, the second time she sucked his dick, he should have picked up on the subtle irony.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jan 2018, 17:17

Williams never complained publicly, people were upset on her behalf. Though I would totally get if she and the actors (all of whom also just collected SAG minimum) were upset at Wahlberg. Basically the complaint would be, "We all sucked it up to make sure everything got done and you're asking for overtime. Stop being a bitch and suck it up too."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Jan 2018, 17:42

Mo wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 17:17
Williams never complained publicly, people were upset on her behalf.
Fair enough.
Though I would totally get if she and the actors (all of whom also just collected SAG minimum) were upset at Wahlberg. Basically the complaint would be, "We all sucked it up to make sure everything got done and you're asking for overtime. Stop being a bitch and suck it up too."
That part I get. From what I've seen, he accepted a lower rate than usual in exchange for some say in casting of other parts. I'm guessing that he saw this as Oscar bait and wanted to help shape it, and was willing to trade money for potential accolades. It's totally fair for his co-workers to be all "Hey, everyone else put in extra time to make this project work, you pushed for more money when you supposedly cared so much about making it happen. Choose, dude!"

I just don't think it's a discriminatory pay gap.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jan 2018, 18:33

Sandy wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 11:23
nicole wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 07:39
Marky Mark may be the bigger star but did you somehow miss the death of Heath Ledger and stuff dude? I mean I don’t expect you to know she is LV’s current spokesmodel but she’s extremely famous.
I'm not a Movie Guy, I don't watch the oscars, and am a pretty good representation for "person who isn't into film" name recognition.
I'm maybe more of a Movie Guy than Sandy, maybe not, but I still don't know her by name. Perusing IMDB, I think the only things I saw her in were Oz the Great and Powerful (I don't recall almost anything about the film and don't know why I ended up there, even, so probably because friends wanted to go and I got dragged along) and Species.

Like I can't even remember that her first name is Michelle.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Jan 2018, 18:54

The first time I noticed her was in Dick, for realz.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 17 Jan 2018, 20:57

This is a generational thing. Every goddamn person between the ages of 25 and 40 (and every woman between 25 and 50) knows who she is. Dawson's Creek was fucking inescapable. I'm a little surprised Thoreau doesn't recognize her, since he's so desperate to tie the '90s up in his basement and make a skinsuit out of it, though.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jan 2018, 21:00

Kolohe wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 18:54
The first time I noticed her was in Dick, for realz.
I noticed parts of her from the advertising (but didn't see the movie titself).
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 17 Jan 2018, 21:07

Shem wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 20:57
This is a generational thing. Every goddamn person between the ages of 25 and 40 (and every woman between 25 and 50) knows who she is. Dawson's Creek was fucking inescapable. I'm a little surprised Thoreau doesn't recognize her, since he's so desperate to tie the '90s up in his basement and make a skinsuit out of it, though.
I had no idea other than "that name sounds vaguely familiar". I could say the same thing about Wahlberg, though.

But I'm pretty sure I've never seen any of Dawson's Creek at all.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Jan 2018, 21:09

Shem wrote:
This is a generational thing. Every goddamn person between the ages of 25 and 40 (and every woman between 25 and 50) knows who she is. Dawson's Creek was fucking inescapable.
Then call me Mr. Miracle, because the only things I know about the show are 1) James Van Der Beek standing in a boat and 1) a Paula Cole song was involved. I couldn't identify a single other performer, male or female, involved in the production, and I only remember the lead was Van Der Beek because I glanced at wikipedia.

(Well, I know that people of a certain age think the show invented casting twenty-somethings as teenagers, but that's just kids being stupid.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 17 Jan 2018, 21:19

Eric the .5b wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 21:09
Shem wrote:
This is a generational thing. Every goddamn person between the ages of 25 and 40 (and every woman between 25 and 50) knows who she is. Dawson's Creek was fucking inescapable.
Then call me Mr. Miracle, because the only things I know about the show are 1) James Van Der Beek standing in a boat and 1) a Paula Cole song was involved. I couldn't identify a single other performer, male or female, involved in the production, and I only remember the lead was Van Der Beek because I glanced at wikipedia.

(Well, I know that people of a certain age think the show invented casting twenty-somethings as teenagers, but that's just kids being stupid.)
Another miracle man here.

edit: just googled Michelle Williams. I'm not sure I've ever seen her before.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 08:11

I don't understand why Bob Dole got the Congressional Gold Medal. He doesn't strike me as a particularly notable figure.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Jan 2018, 08:16

Eh, he's done enough stuff at different points in the life to get it as an end of tour award.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jan 2018, 08:30

Shem wrote:
I didn’t even realize she was on Dawson’s Creek so now I hate her. What a terrible show.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jan 2018, 08:32

Man realizing Michelle Williams was the blonde bitch is a trip.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 08:39

Kolohe wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 08:16
Eh, he's done enough stuff at different points in the life to get it as an end of tour award.
Isn't that his Presidential Medal of Freedom? Though that was a bit of an epic troll by WJC.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 18 Jan 2018, 10:23

JVdB is great on Don't Trust The B. I never watched Dawson's Creek.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jan 2018, 10:27

Shem wrote:This is a generational thing. Every goddamn person between the ages of 25 and 40 (and every woman between 25 and 50) knows who she is. Dawson's Creek was fucking inescapable. I'm a little surprised Thoreau doesn't recognize her, since he's so desperate to tie the '90s up in his basement and make a skinsuit out of it, though.
I've certainly heard her name but I never watched Dawson's Creek because it's not a TV genre that I've ever really liked.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jan 2018, 10:31

I learned all I needed to know in the first episode, which is about how blond guys fall for blonde chicks and not their brown-haired girl-next-door long-term quasi-love interests.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Jan 2018, 12:00

Dangerman wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 10:23
JVdB is great on Don't Trust The B. I never watched Dawson's Creek.
Ditto.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 12:07

If she hated her time on Dawson's, would you reconsider your assessment?

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Jan 2018, 12:41

nicole wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 10:31
I learned all I needed to know in the first episode, which is about how blond guys fall for blonde chicks and not their brown-haired girl-next-door long-term quasi-love interests.
Even though BHGNDLTQLIs will do freaky shit you can't even imagine. And blonde chicks won't even consider until college.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Jan 2018, 14:09

She's really good at acting tho. I sometimes confuse her with Carey Mulligan.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 18 Jan 2018, 14:10

Shem wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 12:41
nicole wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 10:31
Even though BHGNDLTQLIs will do freaky shit you can't even imagine. And blonde chicks won't even consider until college.
Ha. All Swedish exchange students will stick their finger up your butt.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Jan 2018, 14:10

Holy sht - Carey Mulligan is married to the lead muppet in Mumford & Sons.

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jan 2018, 14:30

I've only actually seen her in two things, the first episode of Dawson and the movie But I'm a Cheerleader, and I have no memory at all of her in that.