Observations of the Random sort

Eric the .5b

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Nov 2017, 12:37

the innominate one wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:53
If pwn becomes a recognized word, is it the only English word without a vowel or is w now sometimes a vowel in English?
My guess would be that w becomes an alias of o, sometimes. I'm sure there's a term for that, but I don't know it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Nov 2017, 12:52

Sandy wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 12:11
We need sensible trolley control legislation stat. No one's lives should depend on the ethics of philosophy majors.
I believe it will be part of automated car legislation.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Nov 2017, 12:54

"pwn" and "pwnt" comes from PC online multi-player comp, where you would want to let someone know that you 'own' or 'owned' them. But 'p' and 'o' are so close on the keyboard that you'd often hit the other by mistake when you are flaming someone in chat at full speed, so it was common to see both. Using 'pwn' elsewhere was cant for a while, then entered the more general lexicon.

The other vector is that being "owned" is when you take root or admin from someone. Then you own them, they've been owned, etc. "And now I own them" is the conclusion of a lot of DefCon pen test presentations. Given that a lot of these types are exposed to online gaming culture, using 'pwn' is a logical extension.

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Nov 2017, 12:56

06 Nov 2017, 12:00
Can you elaborate or provide a link, please?
Don’t blame me if reading this makes you long for death

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/11/ ... t-morality
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Nov 2017, 13:03

Os daw pwn yn air gydnabyddedig, ai'r gair Saesneg yn unig heb eiriadur neu a yw weithiau yn guadel yn Saesneg?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Nov 2017, 13:08

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 13:03
Os daw pwn yn air gydnabyddedig, ai'r gair Saesneg yn unig heb eiriadur neu a yw weithiau yn guadel yn Saesneg?
I didn't realize you are a filthy Welshman.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 06 Nov 2017, 13:49

06 Nov 2017, 11:53
If pwn becomes a recognized word, is it the only English word without a vowel or is w now sometimes a vowel in English?
Well, it wouldn't technically be the only English word without a vowel; there is nth. There's also tsk, although that's kind of cheating, as is (IMO) cwm (it's a wholesale lifting of Welsh orthography).

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 14:33

nicole wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 12:56

Thanks. I already long for death, so this shouldn't be a problem.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 15:01

JD - I forgot about nth and hadn't considered tsk at all.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

JD

Post by JD » 06 Nov 2017, 15:42

There are a lot of onomatopoeic terms with no vowels, but like I said I think it's kind of cheating to consider them as words: brr, grr, hmm, etc.

dhex

Post by dhex » 06 Nov 2017, 19:48

The amount of people who film themselves committing crimes and then toss it up on YouTube is amazing.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 19:51

Just had my first encounter with someone looking to "do stuff with men" in a park. I neglected to ask whether any fee was involved.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Nov 2017, 21:44

nicole wrote:

More along the lines of wanting to Charlie Hebdo Current Affairs.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 22:23

nicole wrote:

At first I wondered what you were talking about but the stupidity in the article sneaks up on you and really snowballs toward the end. It does make a few worthwhile points, imo.

Kind of dumb: it might be "fair" (depending on one's definition of fair) to draw lots to decide which 3 of 10 people get medicine to survive an epidemic but that doesn't mean that's the smart move. It might be smarter to choose to save the chemist that can synthesize more of the curative.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 22:31

I read what I thought was an interesting variant of the trolley problem but for hard core pro-lifers. Something to the effect of: you're protesting at a Planned Parenthood clinic when a fire breaks out. Everyone evacuates ahead of you except a five year old child. You can help the child escape or you can can grab a stack of dishes from a freezer holding an untold number of embryos, but you only have time for one of those.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Nov 2017, 22:36

06 Nov 2017, 22:31
I read what I thought was an interesting variant of the trolley problem but for hard core pro-lifers. Something to the effect of: you're protesting at a Planned Parenthood clinic when a fire breaks out. Everyone evacuates ahead of you except a five year old child. You can help the child escape or you can can grab a stack of dishes from a freezer holding an untold number of embryos, but you only have time for one of those.
Do they have a freezer waiting?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 23:01

Yes. Or when you grab them from the freezer, they're in a cooler with an appropriate freezing substance that will preserve them long enough to reach the next freezer. (The fire is not at the planned parenthood clinic, it's at the IVF clinic next door.)

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Nov 2017, 23:23

This argument was had on Twitter and pro-lifers said, "Well, if you'd rather save your mom than a random 10 year old, then does that mean 10 year olds have no value." Of course they ignore that in the embryo example, you're saving thousands and many people would be hard pressed to justify saving their mom over 100 children, let alone thousands.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Nov 2017, 23:57

I agree with the article that the most important feature of trolley problems and other thought experiments is to highlight the futility of simple consistent universal rules.

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Nov 2017, 06:18

The weird thing about that twitter pro life trolley argument was that people were acting like it was new. I’ve been hearing that variant for...at least 15 years?

Anyway, it’s hard for me to decide what I hated most about the essay, but it’s probably the claim that it’s morally wrong to ever consider what the value of a human life is.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Nov 2017, 06:49

I'd never heard the abortion trolley variant. It was new to me.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 07 Nov 2017, 09:29

nicole wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:56
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 19:36
Current Affairs has the highest ratio of crap to total content around these days.
Was this a reference to the trolley problem thing because that was really, really, really, really, really bad
Yes, also the architecture thing.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Nov 2017, 10:18

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 09:29
nicole wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Current Affairs has the highest ratio of crap to total content around these days.
Was this a reference to the trolley problem thing because that was really, really, really, really, really bad
I am choosing not to read the architecture one.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 07 Nov 2017, 10:54

nicole wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:18
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 09:29
nicole wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
I am choosing not to read the architecture one.
Current Affairs: you're a sociology PhD student but your real love is essays churned out by freshmen trying to hit the minimum number of words.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Nov 2017, 11:35

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:54
Current Affairs: you're a sociology PhD student but your real love is essays churned out by freshmen trying to hit the word limit.