Observations of the Random sort

Warren

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Warren » 21 Oct 2017, 20:20

dead_elvis wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 15:03
Saw this bumper sticker yesterday and realized you could also read it as "we are alone" with a typo. Turns a message of peace and hope into bleakness, as one does. The Spell Binder would be proud.

MS185_WeAreAllOne.png
Props for the Electric Company shout out.
I really want a "We Are Alone" bumper sticker.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 21 Oct 2017, 20:51

I'd rather just be alone.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Oct 2017, 22:05

OK, Mountain House Pilot Crackers are the market. They're big, round, dense crackers. They're bland in a pleasant way, have almost no salt, don't provoke thirst, and keep in the sealed gigundo-can for 30 years. They're perfect for rounding out meals and stretching out your other supplies. (Really, between their size and heft, they're more like a bread substitute.) Mountain House says they're good for a week once opened, but I've heard longer claims. I'll see how that goes as I slowly make my way through the can's contents.

I've sampled more meals, and taste-wise, Backpacker's Pantry has been winning. They also have more stuff I can actually eat (as I have to avoid beef and dairy, which cuts out a lot of freeze-dried food). However, most of it is almost as salty (or as salty) as the Mountain House meals I've tried. Not that I have a keen grasp on my normal salt intake, to be fair, beyond never having been scolded by a doctor over it.

Now, I'm looking at camping stoves, either MSR or small alcohol stoves. Supposedly you can use the latter indoors if you're burning potable ethanol, though that's rather more expensive than denatured alcohol, and I haven't seen information on actually doing so that I find trustworthy. Probably just to be used on my little back porch.

I was actually very intrigued by something called a Swiss Army Stove, which is a simple and multi-fuel device (including sticks and leaves, which I always have an abundance of). However, it turns out that if you use wood, you run a serious risk of ruining it, as it's made out of aluminum and can actually melt in a wood fire. And yeah, I found plenty of people online describing exactly that experience...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Oct 2017, 09:13

I used an MSR wind pro for several years when I was doing overnights. Always worked, no hassle. Not for indoor.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Oct 2017, 14:25

I'm just wary of storing the tanks for MSR.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 25 Oct 2017, 20:44

"PhD in Sounding" is the best username I've seen recently.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 25 Oct 2017, 20:46

That is good. And gross.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 Oct 2017, 21:28

A PhD in putting metal rods in dicks.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 25 Oct 2017, 21:38

Yes. It's a niche research specialty.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Oct 2017, 21:10

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 02 Nov 2017, 17:19

Strunk and White could be savage.
9. Do not affect a breezy manner.

The volume of writing is enormous, these days, and much of it has a sort of windiness about it, almost as though the author were in a state of euphoria. "Spontaneous me," sang Whitman, and, in his innocence, let loose the hordes of uninspired scribblers who would one day confuse spontaneity with genius.

The breezy style is often the work of an egocentric, the person who imagines that everything that comes to mind is of general interest and that uninhibited prose creates high spirits and carries the day. Open any alumni magazine, turn to the class notes, and you are quite likely to encounter old Spontaneous Me at work — an aging collegian who writes something like this:
Well, guys, here I am again dishing the dirt about your disorderly classmates, after pa$$ing a weekend in the Big Apple trying to catch the Columbia hoops tilt and then a cab-ride from hell through the West Side casbah. And speaking of news, howzabout tossing a few primo items this way?
This is an extreme example, but the same wind blows, at lesser velocities, across vast expanses of journalistic prose. The author in this case has managed in two sentences to commit most of the unpardonable sins: he obviously has nothing to say, he is showing off and directing the attention of the reader to himself, he is using slang with neither provocation nor ingenuity, he adopts a patronizing air by throwing in the word primo, he is humorless (though full of fun), dull, and empty. He has not done his work.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 19:22

Poster seen near my apartment: "WOMEN USE TO BE SACRED". (Yes, "use" not "used".)

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Nov 2017, 20:11

it's a promotional poster for that whole cali/la witchy weed princess vibe.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Jake

Post by Jake » 02 Nov 2017, 20:46

Maybe it's "WOMEN USE: TO BE SACRED" in the same sort of sense as "MOP USE: TO CLEAN FLOOR" and "DONDERO USE: NOTHING, REALLY". They just left out the colon.
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 02 Nov 2017, 21:57

dbcooper wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 17:19
Strunk and White could be savage.
9. Do not affect a breezy manner.

The volume of writing is enormous, these days, and much of it has a sort of windiness about it, almost as though the author were in a state of euphoria. "Spontaneous me," sang Whitman, and, in his innocence, let loose the hordes of uninspired scribblers who would one day confuse spontaneity with genius.

The breezy style is often the work of an egocentric, the person who imagines that everything that comes to mind is of general interest and that uninhibited prose creates high spirits and carries the day. Open any alumni magazine, turn to the class notes, and you are quite likely to encounter old Spontaneous Me at work — an aging collegian who writes something like this:
Well, guys, here I am again dishing the dirt about your disorderly classmates, after pa$$ing a weekend in the Big Apple trying to catch the Columbia hoops tilt and then a cab-ride from hell through the West Side casbah. And speaking of news, howzabout tossing a few primo items this way?
This is an extreme example, but the same wind blows, at lesser velocities, across vast expanses of journalistic prose. The author in this case has managed in two sentences to commit most of the unpardonable sins: he obviously has nothing to say, he is showing off and directing the attention of the reader to himself, he is using slang with neither provocation nor ingenuity, he adopts a patronizing air by throwing in the word primo, he is humorless (though full of fun), dull, and empty. He has not done his work.
Eh, fuck Strunk and White. They give shit advice. They don't even know what the passive voice is. Also, as I recall, they maybe fucked up the difference between "between" and "among."
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 22:20

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 21:57
Eh, fuck Strunk and White.
Words to live by.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 02 Nov 2017, 22:21

That bit I posted was a good burn!

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 Nov 2017, 19:36

Current Affairs has the highest ratio of crap to total content around these days.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Nov 2017, 20:35

I got a phone call from Mexico a short time ago. No one in Mexico should have my phone number.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Nov 2017, 20:19

So you support strong copyright all of a sudden?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 05 Nov 2017, 20:41

?

Joke?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 11:53

If pwn becomes a recognized word, is it the only English word without a vowel or is w now sometimes a vowel in English?

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Nov 2017, 11:56

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 19:36
Current Affairs has the highest ratio of crap to total content around these days.
Was this a reference to the trolley problem thing because that was really, really, really, really, really bad
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 12:00

Can you elaborate or provide a link, please?

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Nov 2017, 12:11

We need sensible trolley control legislation stat. No one's lives should depend on the ethics of philosophy majors.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren