Observations of the Random sort

JasonL

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by JasonL » 18 Jan 2018, 14:34

You no see Brokeback?

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jan 2018, 14:43

No, it was one of those things dubs saw without me for some reason and then I never saw it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 15:01

What about Dick?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jan 2018, 15:08

Nope. I went through her whole IMDb. I didn't even see the 1994 Lassie, though I may have seen her play Wilson's gf on Home Improvement.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jan 2018, 15:09

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 14:10
Shem wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 12:41
nicole wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 10:31
I learned all I needed to know in the first episode, which is about how blond guys fall for blonde chicks and not their brown-haired girl-next-door long-term quasi-love interests.
Even though BHGNDLTQLIs will do freaky shit you can't even imagine. And blonde chicks won't even consider until college.
Ha. All Swedish exchange students will stick their finger up your butt.
Can you introduce me to some?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Jan 2018, 15:22

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 14:10
Shem wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 12:41
nicole wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 10:31
I learned all I needed to know in the first episode, which is about how blond guys fall for blonde chicks and not their brown-haired girl-next-door long-term quasi-love interests.
Even though BHGNDLTQLIs will do freaky shit you can't even imagine. And blonde chicks won't even consider until college.
Ha. All Swedish exchange students will stick their finger up your butt.
I keep telling you, she's not Swedish, and it's a prostate clinic.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jan 2018, 17:37

Whoa, I didn't realize she was in But I'm a Cheerleader!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jan 2018, 17:43

Ellie wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 17:37
Whoa, I didn't realize she was in But I'm a Cheerleader!
Yeah, and it’s actually kind of weird that I don’t remember “Jen from Dawson” was in that, considering the time period.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Jan 2018, 10:03

Shem wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 20:57
This is a generational thing. Every goddamn person between the ages of 25 and 40 (and every woman between 25 and 50) knows who she is. Dawson's Creek was fucking inescapable. I'm a little surprised Thoreau doesn't recognize her, since he's so desperate to tie the '90s up in his basement and make a skinsuit out of it, though.
Excellent.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 19 Jan 2018, 11:05

Thank you. Was proud of that one.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Jan 2018, 11:39

Neither the money a movie makes nor the fame of its actors, especially if that fame is derived from TV, directly drive what they are paid. Stars get paid because studios believe they can fill seats on an opening weekend. They can parlay their last picture's success into a larger paycheck for their next film but only some genres are star-driven until they become franchises.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Jan 2018, 11:50

I'll have you guys know that my 90's skin suit is made of the leather trench coats from the Matrix.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

nicole

Post by nicole » 22 Jan 2018, 08:52

Is there anything I can do to bring this experience to my local Whole Foods because they are still always asking about what I’m going to make or do and I really hate that.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jan 2018, 13:16

nicole wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 08:52
they are still always asking about what I’m going to make or do and I really hate that.
Preach it.

It's annoying in grocery stores, but the home-brew store is the worst for this. Every friggin' time, "watcha makin'?" (in the most dude-bro voice possible). I get it, it's good for business to try to be helpful and build a community so you want to be all chatty, but I really don't feel like justifying why I have a bunch of ingredients that normally wouldn't go together. Just let me experiment in peace and without commentary.
I'm not entirely against people being cheerful to strangers in public, but still:

"Why have a cheesy grin if you are working in an awful supermarket?"
"It's the sign of either a liar or a moron"

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Jan 2018, 13:22

I think a smile and basic courtesy are essential for all front line staff but I do not like those who try to engage me in chit-chat. (Although there is a cashier that I have encountered so often at the local Walmart that we now always exchange a few comments.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 22 Jan 2018, 13:26

My feelings on this are different for grocery stores than most other places, because grocery stores are a locus of horror and it's not socially acceptable for me to tell them I'm going to go home and get intoxicated enough to stop thinking about the fact I'll have to eat again tomorrow.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Jan 2018, 13:34

I like chit chat at specialty stores like wine shops in my case, but I hate it at the grocery where they don't know anything and people make jokes about a fennel bulb being a shrub or some kind of alien life.

Is there consultative value in this interaction even potentially? If no, stfu. If yes, I applaud the attempt even if not in the mood.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Jan 2018, 13:54

nicole wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 13:26
My feelings on this are different for grocery stores than most other places, because grocery stores are a locus of horror and it's not socially acceptable for me to tell them I'm going to go home and get intoxicated enough to stop thinking about the fact I'll have to eat again tomorrow.
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jan 2018, 13:57

At the risk of overthinking this, I realize that in a grocery I don't mind chit-chat *if it seems sincere*. It's when they give off the vibe that they're just doing it because they are supposed to, or if there's a line and obviously neither of us should be taking more time than needed, that it's annoying.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Jan 2018, 15:26

I'm pretty sure the last clerk who got super chatty with me was hitting on me. While flattering, dudes aren't quite my thing.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Jan 2018, 15:28

The Google Doodle today is of Sergei Eisenstein. It should be of Eisenstein reaching across time to shake Rocky's hand.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jan 2018, 09:48

I object to being spoken to in a familiar way by anyone strange to me in all situations. The ones selling Jesus are the worst.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Jan 2018, 10:18

Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 09:48
I object to being spoken to in a familiar way by anyone strange to me in all situations. The ones selling Jesus are the worst.
This. Although I always thought that immediate-first-name-use was kind of an American thing. I have (mostly) gotten used to it, but I have been known to stop overly aggressive sales types by insisting they address me as "Mr. ______".

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 24 Jan 2018, 15:20

German publishers write book titles on spines from bottom to top, even when they're publishing in English. I realize there is no logical reason for either direction. I'm also sure the Teutonic mind has some kind of alles in Ordnung justification for doing it that way, but it still looks weird.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Jan 2018, 15:27

I think all European spines face that way. All the non-English European-language books I have do, including French, Italian and Hungarian as well.