Observations of the Random sort

Dangerman

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Dangerman » 16 Jan 2018, 14:12

Wouldn't the linked recipe show as a photo tile or whatever?

How about a social media platform that allows you to share the micro communities that you're a part of already?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 15:11

It's really dumb as far as I can tell. The picture is non linkable and there is no tile that is. There's "follow the link in bio". Which may or may not be at all obvious because tapping on the poster just gives you their feed in a different format with pics again but non clickable. You click on a dedicated link in the bio line of this page to bring up a shopping experience or recipe or whatever. The bio page gets tagged based on the original image you clicked to get to the main page, so it remembers you were looking at that waffle or whatever. I mean, bwaaa?

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Jan 2018, 15:28

JasonL wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 15:11
It's really dumb as far as I can tell. The picture is non linkable and there is no tile that is. There's "follow the link in bio". Which may or may not be at all obvious because tapping on the poster just gives you their feed in a different format with pics again but non clickable. You click on a dedicated link in the bio line of this page to bring up a shopping experience or recipe or whatever. The bio page gets tagged based on the original image you clicked to get to the main page, so it remembers you were looking at that waffle or whatever. I mean, bwaaa?
Not only that, but the (iphone) app disabled copying text from captions and bios, so even if the person puts the link in a caption, you can't actually do anything with it. It's incredibly stupid/instagram being like "lol pay me."
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Jan 2018, 15:30

(Edited to add: an unrelated complaint about Instagram) As far as I know you can view Instagram from a browser but still can only upload photos through an app, which is a weird choice on their part.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 15:32

Do I keep hearing insta is the killer app of social sales? Because, no its not. I can one tap and be in the store on bookface yo.

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Jan 2018, 15:44

I'm not sure anyone thinks there's been a killer app for that yet.

Their actual paid ads do seem to convert well to sales though. And I'm not just saying that because I'm apparently addicted to buying from them. I'm pretty sure I'm on at least my fourth or fifth purchase.

Shem

Post by Shem » 16 Jan 2018, 19:30

Sandy wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 02:03
So you can know if he deserves money for reshoots when his costar didn't/wasn't able to negotiate that into her contract.
Other way around. Williams had a reshoot clause in her contract, Wahlberg didn't. Meaning he was able to say "lol fuck you pay me." Awkward thing is, they're represented by the same agency.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2018, 20:26

Williams did not have a reshoot clause in her contract.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 20:28

I don’t understand why agents don’t act to equilibriate terms of deals.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Jan 2018, 20:36

JasonL wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 20:28
Maybe different clients have different clout? Maybe they value different things? Maybe she valued up-front pay more than terms like no extra fees for reshoots, while Wahlberg wanted different terms? Maybe a given client will have different preferences depending on how their upcoming schedule is looking?

I mean, I know there's only one answer we're allowed to run with (the people at the agency failed their Implicit Association Test) but I'd like to hear from people in showbiz before I leap to conclusions about how agents negotiate.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2018, 20:37

JasonL wrote:
This is odd, in sports, agents act to equilibriate terms of deals all the time. The reason why Garoppolo left SF is because his agent couldn't get him what he wanted in NE and still treat Brady fairly.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Jan 2018, 20:38

My understanding is that Williams voluntarily waived compensation for reshoots because she supported the goal of the reshoots.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jan 2018, 20:39

I'm so geezer. Don't twit, no instagram, won't tumbl, not gonna pin it. I actually wish I reddit, but it's too confusing for me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Jan 2018, 21:56

Warren wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 20:39
I'm so geezer. Don't twit, no instagram, won't tumbl, not gonna pin it. I actually wish I reddit, but it's too confusing for me.
Welcome to the cave, fellow troglodyte.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 22:31

thoreau wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 20:36
JasonL wrote:
Maybe different clients have different clout? Maybe they value different things? Maybe she valued up-front pay more than terms like no extra fees for reshoots, while Wahlberg wanted different terms? Maybe a given client will have different preferences depending on how their upcoming schedule is looking?

I mean, I know there's only one answer we're allowed to run with (the people at the agency failed their Implicit Association Test) but I'd like to hear from people in showbiz before I leap to conclusions about how agents negotiate.
Right. There can be lots of reasons, but its hard to figure if actual revenue value is comparable, everyone wants similar things, and there are agents in there busting up asymmetrical information for a commission.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 17 Jan 2018, 04:44

Shem wrote:
Sandy wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 02:03
So you can know if he deserves money for reshoots when his costar didn't/wasn't able to negotiate that into her contract.
Other way around. Williams had a reshoot clause in her contract, Wahlberg didn't. Meaning he was able to say "lol fuck you pay me." Awkward thing is, they're represented by the same agency.
I was unclear. I meant that she didn’t negotiate having no reshoot clause (or a fuck you, pay me clause) in her contract.

Either way the fundamental is “does he deserve money while she gets none.”

My only contribution to that is that I’ve heard of him but not of her, which is usually the metric for “who gets paid more in Hollywood.”
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Jan 2018, 07:39

Marky Mark may be the bigger star but did you somehow miss the death of Heath Ledger and stuff dude? I mean I don’t expect you to know she is LV’s current spokesmodel but she’s extremely famous.

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jan 2018, 08:21

Also, she's been nominated for 4 Oscars, including for Brokeback Mountain.

He is totally within his rights to use the Spacey situation to leverage a payday. Of course, as he discovered, it also leaves him open to a PR mess if it comes out later.

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Jan 2018, 10:44

nicole wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 15:44

Their actual paid ads do seem to convert well to sales though. And I'm not just saying that because I'm apparently addicted to buying from them. I'm pretty sure I'm on at least my fourth or fifth purchase.
weird bit on this:

insta ads regularly outperform the fuck out of social ads to an absurd degree. definitely not sure how/why, particularly for non product stuff. see it in current campaigns for summer programming. art isn't even that awesome. maybe people on insta are in more of a buying mood.

unrelated but it's also the preferred platform for "cannabis donations" in DC.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Jan 2018, 10:55

dhex wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 10:44
nicole wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 15:44

weird bit on this:

insta ads regularly outperform the fuck out of social ads to an absurd degree. definitely not sure how/why, particularly for non product stuff. see it in current campaigns for summer programming. art isn't even that awesome. maybe people on insta are in more of a buying mood.

unrelated but it's also the preferred platform for "cannabis donations" in DC.
I'm telling you, I don't know what it is, but I'm just more likely to click (tap). And then also pretty damn likely to convert.

Now, admittedly, I have also been seeing many of these same placements for like a year and only relatively recently started clicking through. But seriously, I don't even get what it is about the insta experience.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Jan 2018, 11:21

Mo wrote: He is totally within his rights to use the Spacey situation to leverage a payday. Of course, as he discovered, it also leaves him open to a PR mess if it comes out later.
This.

Yes, decoder rings, skin in games, value propositions, envy, etc. All that said, if you're in a business where image is everything and you're the only guy who negotiated a payday out of a shitty situation, you take the reputational risk.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 17 Jan 2018, 11:23

nicole wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 07:39
Marky Mark may be the bigger star but did you somehow miss the death of Heath Ledger and stuff dude? I mean I don’t expect you to know she is LV’s current spokesmodel but she’s extremely famous.
I'm not a Movie Guy, I don't watch the oscars, and am a pretty good representation for "person who isn't into film" name recognition.

What does she have to do with Health Ledger's death? I read he just self medicated and that sucked because he was great in Batman.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Jan 2018, 11:34

Sandy wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 11:23
nicole wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 07:39
I'm not a Movie Guy, I don't watch the oscars, and am a pretty good representation for "person who isn't into film" name recognition.

What does she have to do with Health Ledger's death? I read he just self medicated and that sucked because he was great in Batman.
So am I. She was his baby mama.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 17 Jan 2018, 16:27

Jadagul wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 20:38
My understanding is that Williams voluntarily waived compensation for reshoots because she supported the goal of the reshoots.
That's what I read too. She only got an $80 per diem because of SAG.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Jan 2018, 17:04

So, wait, her complaint is that somebody else got paid for work that she decided to waive the fee for? This wasn't even a matter of her agent failing the Implicit Association Test and getting her a contact that obligated her to do reshoots without pay? She chose this?

I mean, good for her for choosing it, and certainly Wahlberg made a bad move in gauging the political and PR winds. But still, if she voluntarily gives up the pay then we can't call it sexist that people paid Wahlberg for work that he didn't waive the fee on.

What's next? Accusing a man of assault because he didn't realize that the naked woman who voluntarily sucked his dick wasn't interested in doing anything sexual?

I am turning into such a grumpy old man.
--Shem