Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Shem » 17 Dec 2017, 00:20

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 22:51
Jadagul wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 21:48
Mo wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 21:47
The lesson for today. The way to get grylliade to go all, "America, fuck yeah," is a drunken rant by an antipodean.
He can't say that about our country! Only we can say that about our country!
It's one thing to bitch about the system. It's anything to blame it on the people who opposes what it's doing - or to pretend that other systems do better in ways they really don't.
Or to behave as if your system is a passive bystander trying to encourage better behavior rather than a well cared-for vassal out to enjoy the spoils of empire while tut-tutting about the consequences.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Dec 2017, 01:19

Mo wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 23:06
I was joking. Like I agree on endless war, disagree on nationalism, immigration and free trade. It's like being lectured by Brits or Europeans about American racism and also being told, "You don't look like an American."
Wasn't griping at you.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Dec 2017, 09:45

Mo wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 21:47
The lesson for today. The way to get grylliade to go all, "America, fuck yeah," is a drunken rant by an antipodean.
I was thinking something like that, but being Canadian, I was too polite to say it. :P
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 17 Dec 2017, 11:32

You don't frame a house with hardwood. You use a high quality white pine or ideally spruce. You can post-and-beam or timber frame with hardwood, although that's expensive and uncommon outside places where it's traditional.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Dec 2017, 14:45

Dangerman wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 11:32
You don't frame a house with hardwood. You use a high quality white pine or ideally spruce. You can post-and-beam or timber frame with hardwood, although that's expensive and uncommon outside places where it's traditional.
I have a thing about hardwoods, I like the way they look. I don't mind if you stain it, but it upsets me to see hardwood painted. Inside the walls is no place for hardwood.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 23 Dec 2017, 12:35

On the basis of recommendations given to me here in April, the delightfully irascible Mrs. S and I now find ourselves in Tucson. Any suggestions for sightseeing or, even more importantly, dining?
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Dec 2017, 13:09

I hear the airport is good if you want to leave Tuscon.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 23 Dec 2017, 13:19

Shem wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 13:09
I hear the airport is good if you want to leave Tuscon.
Good to know should they block the roads to prevent our departure.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 Dec 2017, 15:06

My wife and went a couple of years ago and stayed with some cousins of hers. We went to Saguaro National Park, Sabino Canyon, Mt Lemmon, the Titan missile museum, and one of the mission historic sites.

Can't help you much on food, because the cousins are vegan so we basically just ate wherever a diverse enough menu could be had.

Looking it up, I remember likely Cup Cafe downtown. (I was able to figure it out by googling 'restaurant with coins in the floor')
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 23 Dec 2017, 15:25

Solitudinarian wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 12:35
On the basis of recommendations given to me here in April, the delightfully irascible Mrs. S and I now find ourselves in Tucson. Any suggestions for sightseeing or, even more importantly, dining?
Dining: Cafe Poca Cosa.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 23 Dec 2017, 15:28

Solitudinarian wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 12:35
Sightseeing: my parents really liked Pima Air and Space Museum and the Sonoran Desert Museum. Driving up Mt. Lemmon is always good.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Dec 2017, 10:09

See if Jojo is back to where he once belonged.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Dec 2017, 22:30

Why does the state lotto drawing bits have the production values and graphics of a public access/shitty high school class project?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Dec 2017, 23:27

Someone at Fios missed a memo a dozen years ago.Image
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Dec 2017, 23:57

Mo wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 22:30
Why does the state lotto drawing bits have the production values and graphics of a public access/shitty high school class project?
Cause the only people who watch it don't care.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 26 Dec 2017, 17:03

Google is using meta data to create new data on it's maps.
https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat

Tldr;
Google has been using satellite imagery to extract "building footprints". Some with enough detail to see steps, aircon units, etc.
Google has been using street view images to extract "type of business".
It has now combined the two into "Areas of Interest (AOI)" on it's maps. I.e., areas where there are a high concentration of bars, restaurants and shops. It now colors these types of businesses orange and highlights the AOIs as orange areas on larger levels of zoom.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Dec 2017, 10:39

No thanks. You can keep your thugs at home.
ABOARD A P-3 ORION, over the Pacific Ocean — The Department of Homeland Security is increasingly going global.

An estimated 2,000 Homeland Security employees — from Immigration and Customs Enforcement special agents to Transportation Security Administration officials — now are deployed to more than 70 countries around the world.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Dec 2017, 10:46

I flew once from Halifax to DC via Toronto, and I went thru US customs in the Toronto airport before getting on the plane.

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Dec 2017, 11:25

I've done US customs in country in Canada, Aruba and Ireland. The weird thing about Canada is they require the Global Entry card, which is literally not required anywhere else.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Dec 2017, 11:31

Mo wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 11:25
I've done US customs in country in Canada, Aruba and Ireland. The weird thing about Canada is they require the Global Entry card, which is literally not required anywhere else.
I thought the Global Entry card was an alternative to a US passport. Frankly, the only reason that Canada requires a passport or Global Entry card from US citizens is the difficulty in getting them back into the US. Before the Patriot Act insanity, US and Canadian citizens could visit each others' countries without passports.

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Dec 2017, 11:49

Nope, the card can only replace photo ID, you still need a passport. You're thinking of SENTRI, which is specific to US/Canada travel.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Dec 2017, 12:26

Aresen wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 11:31
Before the Patriot Act insanity, US and Canadian citizens could visit each others' countries without passports.
I can't tell you how sad it makes me that this is no longer the case. Worlds longest unprotected border is a thing to be proud of.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Dec 2017, 13:07

I remember being able to come back from drinking as a 19 year old in Tijuana with nothing more than a driver's license.

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Dec 2017, 16:02

2017 is weird and it has given us Woke Max Boot.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Dec 2017, 16:09

Mo wrote:2017 is weird and it has given us Woke Max Boot.
On a related note, I shudder at the number of Bill Kristol tweets I've agreed with this year.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem