Observations of the Random sort

the innominate one

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by the innominate one » 15 Sep 2017, 19:12

Also, fuck Harvard and fuck the CIA.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Sep 2017, 19:47

Fellowships shouldn't be handed out to the blatantly unqualified. They made the right decision, even if for the wrong reasons.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Sep 2017, 20:17

Maybe, but they shouldn't have given one to Corey Lewandowski, either.

Not certain Manning is unqualified, because I don't know what the requirements are nor what her qualifications are, even though her Twitter feed is banal and trite.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Sep 2017, 20:23

the innominate one wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 20:17
Maybe, but they shouldn't have given one to Corey Lewandowski, either.

Not certain Manning is unqualified, because I don't know what the requirements are nor what her qualifications are, even though her Twitter feed is banal and trite.
No degree and is stupid. No fellowship.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Sep 2017, 20:36

Regardless of one's judgment of Manning, Manning did something that has inspired a lot of debate and has had significant repercussions. That makes it worthwhile to hear what she has to say, even if only to see how people who do these things rationalize it.

Not everyone who speaks should get an academic honorific.

Manning making this about being trans is just bullshit.

Harvard changing their decision in response to pressure is dangerous, even though I think the original decision was dumb.

So, bullshit all around.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Sep 2017, 20:42

I personally don't care about whether someone has a degree, I care about whether they're actually qualified to do what's expected of them. Maybe Manning is, maybe not. I care whether government officials are trying to prevent someone from having a public voice or job without valid justification.

Some other current visiting fellows

Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski

Come on.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Sep 2017, 21:02

That institute is notorious for giving positions to celebrities and rich people's children. The answer is not to give more, but to end the practice. Even better would be closing the institute that carries the name of that awful family.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Sep 2017, 21:06

I can respect that pov.

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Sep 2017, 21:57

The propublica Facebook ad story is mildly interesting. But only mildly.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Sep 2017, 00:15

dbcooper wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 21:02
That institute is notorious for giving positions to celebrities and rich people's children. The answer is not to give more, but to end the practice. Even better would be closing the institute that carries the name of that awful family.
Pretty much this, though I think it may be that the honorific is given to induce them to come and be grilled without censor on what makes them tick. This can be useful even if the person isn't that bright (Spicer, Manning) or is just lucky (Lewandowski).

Otherwise, I cosign.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 17 Sep 2017, 01:51

Former sheriff and fake medal collector David Clarke is being allowed/required to revise his thesis. If you plagiarize, you should get a zero. If you plagiarized the primary degree requirement, the degree should be revoked.

Edit: corrected spelling of Clarke
Last edited by the innominate one on 17 Sep 2017, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Sep 2017, 10:57

the innominate one wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 01:51
Former sheriff and fake medal collector David Clark is being allowed/required to revise his thesis. If you plagiarize, you should get a zero. If you plagiarized the primary degree requirement, the degree should be revoked.
What? Link?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 17 Sep 2017, 11:46

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Sep 2017, 12:02

Fake medals, fake degrees. Suits.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Sep 2017, 12:16

"They're saying certain words and phrases I should have put quotation marks around. OK, alright, fine. Maybe from a formatting standpoint the thesis isn't perfect, but the content is there."
I suspect he's right and that he'll resubmit it with minimal changes and after the media spotlight has moved on they'll reinstate his degree.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 17 Sep 2017, 14:33

I don't know about his field, but the sciences are averse to quotations. Paraphrasing is far more preferable. Even so, failing to put quotation marks around quotes repeatedly isn't a formatting error, regardless of your field. They'll probably move on after he corrects it, but that's beside the point.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Sep 2017, 12:27

The wailing and gnashing of teeth over Sean Spicer at the Emmys is making me want to side with Sean Spicer. And I would like to never side with Sean Spicer.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Sep 2017, 13:57

I dunno why anyone thinks that rolling out Spicer to be the (secondary) butt of a joke is any sort of image rehab. It doesn't change anything about him.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Sep 2017, 14:25

It lets him participate in the joke by being in on the joke. He gets it. It rehabilitates his image without any actual rehabilitation of the person who was a flak for a pretty big asshole, and was an asshole in his own right in the process.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Sep 2017, 14:26

Team tio.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 19 Sep 2017, 16:09

I'm having one of those moments where no matter how you slice or dice it, it just seems so clear that *of course* the universe *has* to be deterministic.

This usually passes. But maybe that's just because The Universe set things up that way.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 19 Sep 2017, 16:12

What is the other option?

Shem

Post by Shem » 19 Sep 2017, 16:15

It started with free will but one guy made a choice and everybody responded to that in exactly the way their brain wiring required and now it's all just a slow downhill of cause and effect until the heat death of the universe?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Sep 2017, 17:52

Shem wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 16:15
It started with free will but one guy made a choice and everybody responded to that in exactly the way their brain wiring required and now it's all just a slow downhill of cause and effect until the heat death of the universe?
So, the GOP National Convention?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Sep 2017, 18:43

dead_elvis wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 16:09
I'm having one of those moments where no matter how you slice or dice it, it just seems so clear that *of course* the universe *has* to be deterministic.
Well, to put the issue another way: what would the alternative be? What would that look like, and how could we tell the difference?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem