Observations of the Random sort

Eric the .5b

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2017, 14:59

nicole wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 06:18
The weird thing about that twitter pro life trolley argument was that people were acting like it was new. I’ve been hearing that variant for...at least 15 years?
Hell, I had an argument with Stevo here about it, years back.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 07 Nov 2017, 15:59

Eric the .5b wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 14:59
nicole wrote:
The weird thing about that twitter pro life trolley argument was that people were acting like it was new. I’ve been hearing that variant for...at least 15 years?
Who won? ;) :mrgreen:
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Nov 2017, 17:12

fyodor wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 15:59
Eric the .5b wrote:
nicole wrote:
Saffron won, and we all retired to our respective Stevo's bunks.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2017, 18:17

fyodor wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 15:59
Eric the .5b wrote:
nicole wrote:
Truce.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 08 Nov 2017, 08:24

Hm, worthwhile intertubez finds, stuff I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole anywhere else, light laff, or just random observation...
"The head of Samoa Air has defended its policy of charging passengers by their weight..."

Air Samoa charging passengers by weight? Let the jokes begin, I guess... (My first reaction was "So he's got a weight problem. What's a national airline head gonna do, he's Samoan.")

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Nov 2017, 08:58

JD wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 08:24
Hm, worthwhile intertubez finds, stuff I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole anywhere else, light laff, or just random observation...
"The head of Samoa Air has defended its policy of charging passengers by their weight..."

Air Samoa charging passengers by weight? Let the jokes begin, I guess... (My first reaction was "So he's got a weight problem. What's a national airline head gonna do, he's Samoan.")
That is actually the way airline pricing needs to be done. Total weight of passenger and luggage.

I don't think Samoa Air will be able to pull it off and even less likely other airlines will adopt it. Air travel will remain unpleasant for the foreseeable future.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Nov 2017, 18:25

I've never seen a funny College Humor video.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Nov 2017, 20:19

I lol'd through all the "If Google were a guy" series.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 Nov 2017, 22:31

the innominate one wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 18:25
I've never seen a funny College Humor video.
Minesweeper movie trailer.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Nov 2017, 23:14

No.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Nov 2017, 19:00

I ordered some socks from amazon. They were in a plastic bag that had a warning on it: "This bag is not a toy. Keep away from pets, infants, toddlers, and cheese."

I have no idea...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Nov 2017, 21:18

David Horowitz has gone full Dondero.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Nov 2017, 11:11

Mo wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 21:18
David Horowitz has gone full Dondero.

It appears the entire GOP has gone full Dondero.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Nov 2017, 11:19

Hasn't Horowitz been about ooooooooo/oooooooooo for quite some time? I remember him writing for salon.com, then having a shitfit and getting shitcanned.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Nov 2017, 11:28

Back in 2000-2001, Horowitz put a bunch of ads in campus newspapers, arguing against slavery reparations. I remember that the ads contained a mix of reasonable and dumb arguments. Not surprisingly, people got inflamed. This set up a pretext for him to market a speaking tour paid for by whatever organizations sponsor the activities of College Republican chapters. Not surprisingly, he was met with protests.

Less than a year later he was hawking a book on his experiences on the lecture circuit.

Total hack. I admire his business accumen.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Nov 2017, 11:59

thoreau wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:28
Back in 2000-2001, Horowitz put a bunch of ads in campus newspapers, arguing against slavery reparations. I remember that the ads contained a mix of reasonable and dumb arguments. Not surprisingly, people got inflamed. This set up a pretext for him to market a speaking tour paid for by whatever organizations sponsor the activities of College Republican chapters. Not surprisingly, he was met with protests.

Less than a year later he was hawking a book on his experiences on the lecture circuit.

Total hack. I admire his business accumen*.
That sounds right. I think it was shortly after that that his disagreement with Salon came to a head, and he ceased writing for them.

(*acumen)

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Nov 2017, 13:01

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Nov 2017, 14:57

Reading something, it strikes me that the very people who most object to elected judges are the same ones who get the most indignant at the idea of someone avoiding jury duty.

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 13 Nov 2017, 15:29

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 14:57
Reading something, it strikes me that the very people who most object to elected judges are the same ones who get the most indignant at the idea of someone avoiding jury duty.
Curious. Why do you think that might be?
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 13 Nov 2017, 15:40

Eric the .5b wrote:
Why are these things in any way related?
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Nov 2017, 18:53

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 15:40
Eric the .5b wrote:
Why are these things in any way related?
That's a deep mystery, bro.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Nov 2017, 18:55

Solitudinarian wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 15:29
Eric the .5b wrote:
Curious. Why do you think that might be?
Absent anything else, I assume lack of thinking about these things beyond accepting received wisdom on the issues. They've been told elected judges are bad, so they're bad. They've been told it's one civic duty to get drafted into jury duty, so avoiding it is bad.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Nov 2017, 16:55

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Nov 2017, 22:40

As the average Boomer reaches 65, only our culture's obsession with youth (and the size of the Millennials) has saved us from a savage bombardment of movies about how people at or near retirement age have the most important life experiences.

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Nov 2017, 22:59

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 22:40
As the average Boomer reaches 65, only our culture's obsession with youth (and the size of the Millennials) has saved us from a savage bombardment of movies about how people at or near retirement age have the most important life experiences.
Sure about that? Seems like every year since the Bucket List that Morgan Freeman alone stars in one of those movies. Basically ever since the Bucket List. Not to mention old people can still be action hero movies like the Expendables or RED franchises.