Observations of the Random sort

Number 6

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Number 6 »

No one's plays "Dirty Laundry"?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Even inanimate objects hate Don Henley.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Mozilla just laid off 25% of staff, including core Firefox teams. Stick a fork in it. They're focusing on "new products".

Still paying their useless CEO and Chairwoman $2.5M/year to turn it into an useless advocacy organisation.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Fuck fuck fuck.
I really don't like Chrome.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Warren wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 20:46 Fuck fuck fuck.
I guess they'll make a Firefox that uses a fork of the chrome or safari engine with a firefox style UI.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dbcooper wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 20:57
I guess they'll make a Firefox that uses a fork of the chrome or safari engine with a firefox style UI.
For my son's sake, I hope this means major market growth for Brave.
Warren

Post by Warren »

I haven't tried Safari in a while, maybe I'll like it.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 23:00
Do my kid a favor and try out Brave. If he becomes a billionaire someday, I'll steal the yacht and throw a big Gryll-at-Sea party.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 00:32
Warren wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 23:00
Do my kid a favor and try out Brave. If he becomes a billionaire someday, I'll steal the yacht and throw a big Gryll-at-Sea party.
Didn't realize your son worked on Brave! I may try that one out if I get pissed off enough at all the browsers I'm currently using.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Long ago, I argued on this forum that New York City was in for long term problems because big cities would not be needed as financial hubs because of the ability to work remotely. I can't find the original post, but here is someone who agrees with me:

NYC IS DEAD FOREVER

I think the author's first point is the key one: With Zoom and other tools, people no longer have to be in a central office.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

My company started a migration south and west into regional centers over a decade ago from Boston. I kept reading all this stuff about positive returns due to network effects in big cities and rents kept climbing but at the same time I see the same patterns in our entire client base, almost every industry I can think of is de centralizing out of mega cities. Even tech. I’m not sure what it all means. Cities are highly efficient for some kinds of things but not others, probably.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I look forward to the point San Franciscans can't blame newcomers for their problems, because nobody moves there.

Oh, who am I kidding? They'll find a way.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Highway

Post by Highway »

The question I have is how far down does this pattern go? Is it just the end of mega-metropolitan areas (NYC, LA, DFW, Chicago, DC, Houston, SF and Boston thrown in due to their space limitations)? Or does it go to the next tier (Philly, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle), or even farther down this list? Or is it a waterfall effect? People move out of the top 5 to 5-10, move out of 5-10 to 10-15, and on down the list? Or is it just People move out of 1-5 into 6-20 and it just flattens the differences?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 22:06 Long ago, I argued on this forum that New York City was in for long term problems because big cities would not be needed as financial hubs because of the ability to work remotely. I can't find the original post, but here is someone who agrees with me:

NYC IS DEAD FOREVER

I think the author's first point is the key one: With Zoom and other tools, people no longer have to be in a central office.
Yeah but concerts and parties via zoom suck ballsack, and I know that friends who move to the other side of a major city can often stop seeing each other because nobody wants a 45 minute drive home from the bar, or to have to find a whole new selection of restaurants, bars, etc halfway between. Small towns have their charms, but once you get more than 50 miles from a major airport, good museums, etc, stuff gets inconvenient. I mean automated flying cars or actual transporter technology notwithstanding, social and recreational options will still drive the attractiveness of at least some cities. And obvs any non-knowledge work and any hands-on knowledge work still has to have geographic relevance.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

This has been on my mind because with my dad as an 89-year-old self-isolating at home, and the house next door for sale for 1/2 the price of a comparable home in Frontrangia, and the possibility that I could buy it, work from home, and not skip a beat, work wise, but be available as social and living support for my dad so he can stay home longer, the two questions are, if my job ends, is a small Southern town about 30 miles from the 3rd-tier-metro state capital going to be a viable place to find work, or to sell the house if I find work elsewhere, and can I really tolerate small Southern town after ~30 years of more metropolitan living?

Right now there are few significant ethnic cuisines that are more than a 10 minute drive. In SmallSouthia, that'll get me gringo-ish Mexican, Greektalian with Pizza*, Shitty Chinese Super-Buffcoli, natch non-Cajun Southern (although NOT Southern barbecue - the barbecue joint in town advertises itself as Texas-style), Brass-and-Glass, and basic fast food with exactly one fast-casual burger joint. Real BBQ, Thai, Indian, Japanese, and maybe some other mid-major ethnic foods are 30-50 minute drives. And while I know the Indian is good, I can't vouch for the rest. I have no idea how far to Middle-Eastern, Ethiopian, Korean, or non-generic Mex/Tex-Mex.

Not to mention moving back to The Land of the Trumpenprole, and ground zero of the Southern Strategy and the reading-is-for-fags attitude. A friend from high school became facebook friends with my wife and made a point to comment that it was nice to be friends with a real liberal.

*Not gon' lie though for a local mid-priced joint as long as you're not a stickler for authenticity or looking for fine dining, the Greektalian place is one of my favorite restaurants in the world. Since it was my favorite as a teen, it's my type locality for pizza; even though I quite like lots of other pizzas, it's the baseline.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway »

I think the variety you're going to find in cities as they get larger is one of the biggest draws. And it really does take additional people to be able to support that kind of variety. Same reason that every large mall had all the stores the small ones had, plus more, plus more as the malls got even bigger. And that every town has a local coffee / breakfast shop, a Greek/Italian/Pizza/Sub shop, a McDonald's, and a Chinese takeout before it gets anything else.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

But now I'm just googlemapsing random shit to see how far it is from my current house. Mariscos y sushi is a five minute walk, as is a Korean bakery and a Brazilian cafe (and an Olive Garden and a Dunkin Donuts). A ten minute walk gets you Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese sushi, Southern soul food that's pretty damn legit, Yemeni, Turkish, American seafood, Five Guys and Smash Burger, Qdoba and Chipotle, a more straightforward mariscos place, three or four taquerias, Japanese fast casual, Middle Eastern fast casual, Russian, Panera Bread, Mexican, one of those local vaguely American more-than-a-diner but the kind of place that's locally semi-famous that has maybe five locations max that tends to be one of the hey-why-don't-we-all-go-get-dinner-at [place] after an event of some sort, legit Hong Kong Chinese of the kind that has Spam-and-noodle dishes on the menu. A ten minute drive gets you Japanese where more than half the customers are speaking Japanese, Indian, more Middle Eastern, German, fast-casual French, Greek, Moroccan, Persian, Ethiopian, Korean barbecue, three different brewpubs, one of whom is now big enough to be in grocery stores (and there's a six in my fridge right now) and another other is distributed statewide. And that's just the stuff I know about or happened to spot/identify.

In the time it would take to get to the door of an Indian or actual Japanese restaurant from my dad's house I could have Native American fast casual and be sitting down with my fry bread and buffalo not-burrito dish with a glass of beer from Avery or O'Dell fresh from the tap, or at the door of an Afghan restaurant. That said, in the SC version of taco trucks on every corner is that there's a chaufa* place right at 10 minutes away from my dad's place, so I'm guessing that at least a small chunk of the local Hispanic influx is Peruvian. After googling to find out wtf that was, I checked around me, and that'd be a 20 minute drive here, although there's a Peruvian place closer that doesn't have it on their DoorDash menu, but it might be on their pre-COVID dine-in menu.

Of course, all of this is a more open question with what restaurants survive COVID, but some will or will be reborn because the demand will come back once there's either widespread immunity or just fatalism that it's never going away and now the equivalent of seasonal flu could give you covid dick and that's just our lives now. So there'll be restaurants, and there'll be many more and more varied ones in the inside-the-beltway suburbs of a seven-digit metro than in a one-zipcode struggling ex-milltown on the distant fringes of a six-figure metro for decades to come.

*Peruvian Asian fusion. I shit you not.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

A former President of Peru was of Japanese decent. (His daughter is still in politics, was in the Peruvian congress and almost became president herself)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Shem

Post by Shem »

Didn't he flee the country for Japan? I know some politician did because if you've got an unbroken paternal line to Japanese citizenship, you pretty much just have to ask to be let in and you're good
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Speaking of Peruvian-Asian fusion cuisine, I have come across more than one Thai-Peruvian restaurant in SoCal.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Shem wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 23:07 Didn't he flee the country for Japan? I know some politician did because if you've got an unbroken paternal line to Japanese citizenship, you pretty much just have to ask to be let in and you're good
Oh yeah, he was hella corrupt, and so is his son, (who also was a Congress critter), (probably) Just that there’s at least an existence proof for an Asian diaspora in Peru whence fusion cuisine.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Between Alexei Navalny and the dead chicks and rat swarms at the post office, things feel extra apocalypse-ish today. Bleh.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

There's this thing -- I don't know if you'd call it a trope, a rite of passage, or just a dorm-room bull-session topic -- where teenagers or young adults, possibly aided by intoxicating substances, will discuss and deconstruct the Dark Side of the cartoons they watched as kids. We Generation X-ers were pioneers in that field -- "Yeah, you know, the Mystery Machine kids were totally stoners who were like driving through a [bubbly inhalation] post-apocalyptic landscape, because you've got like these mega-geniuses who figured out realistic hologram technology in 1970, only instead of using this to found a technology company and become richer than Bill Gates he'd just [inhales] try to scare people away from that shitty abandoned amusement park, and the reason the park and EVERYTHING in the show is abandoned is because of [inhales] the apocalypse, maaaan."

The young adults who grew up watching the [English] cartoons I've been using to try to learn Spanish have SO MUCH MORE to work with! "Okay, so, like, Dora's backpack is a sentient being, but definitely Dora's property, not her friend. [bubbly inhalation] So slavery is, like, legal and totally accepted here? And why is Blue the puppy literally the only thing in the universe that can't talk? Steve has deep and meaningful conversations with his salt and pepper shakers, for Zod's sake...."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Mo

Post by Mo »

Counterpoint: I have never heard more people pone for the office than right now. Also, I’m currently experiencing what it’s like to onboard to a new job completely remotely now and it sucks balls. And I’m pretty fortunate that I’m in the same company and I know a bunch of people, but it’s hard. Tomorrow I’m going out to dinner with half my team and later on I’m going out with the other half (no more than 5 from a separate household allowed together).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

I don't think that's unreasonable at all. The office is an additional place that you have some control over and can be. You get to interact with some people who share interests. And at this point it's likely gotten away from that feeling of being forced to be there. That's the main reason people dislike the office: you don't have a choice.