Observations of the Random sort

dhex

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by dhex »

Highway wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 14:16
JD wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 13:24
That reminds me, I've been watching some YouTube videos about DAWs and recording lately, and some of them are created by Brits who pronounce "garage band" as "garridge band", which sounds even weirder to me than just pronouncing "garage" as "garridge" does.
I've run into the issue of "nobody is at intermediate level" on DAW / recording youtube videos. There are basic "This is how you set an input, this is how you record audio, this is how you start the program" ones, and there are advanced "This is how you do a reverse reverb with gated drums set ultra wide" ones.

But I need ones that are like "This is how you should troubleshoot your input levels, and this is how you can move segments of your recording around, and these are the effects / processing you should consider on your tracks."
there's a lot of daw-specific instructional thingies out there, and many of the folk for larger packages are certified trainers (yt being their leadgen). at this point you can get a lot of instructional packages from trainers for 40-80% off the sticker.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Painboy wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 11:39
Eric the .5b wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 19:25
And they have just absolutely ridiculous and often hilariously terribad covers, as shown, discussed (and actually explained) in this forum thread. (Some probably NSFW, if anyone's actually looking at this at work.)
That is amazing. Thank you for making my week.
Quite welcome; I hoped that would amuse someone.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Is there a more general version of Old Physicists' Disease, where someone who seems themself as an expect in one (however narrow) topic sees themselves as equally expert in all topics? If not, I might just call it Hacker News Disease.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Yeah, I know a lot of programmers with a bad case of Physicists' Disease.

The funny thing is that the programmers who have the worst Physicists' Disease also tend to be super intimidated by/deferential to pure mathematicians. So I get to have a lot of fun with them.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

The term is new to me, but I think I get what you mean by "Physicists' Disease" from what is said above, but just to confirm, could you spell it out?

(My guess: A tendency of an expert in one area of science to believe he/she is therefore qualified to speak authoritatively on all areas of science.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Look, we tried intellectual modesty, but the pop psychologists diagnosed it as Impostor Syndrome. So we took their advice, developed a superbly positive mindset, and along the way we did ground-breaking work on the Dunning-Krueger Effect.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Aresen wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 00:53
The term is new to me, but I think I get what you mean by "Physicists' Disease" from what is said above, but just to confirm, could you spell it out?

(My guess: A tendency of an expert in one area of science to believe he/she is therefore qualified to speak authoritatively on all areas of science.)
Yeah, that's basically it. Physicists have a reputation for wandering into a new field and assuming they can solve the whole thing using their super physics smarts/skills. See this SMBC or this xkcd.

I find that I run into way more programmers doing that, though partly because I run into more programmers. I'm not the only one; see this xkcd.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jadagul wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 02:13
Aresen wrote:

Yeah, that's basically it. Physicists have a reputation for wandering into a new field and assuming they can solve the whole thing using their super physics smarts/skills. See this SMBC or this xkcd.

I find that I run into way more programmers doing that, though partly because I run into more programmers. I'm not the only one; see this xkcd.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were more programmers prone to it. If only because there seem to be a larger pool of guys who think their ability to code C++ makes them able to realize that physicists are just making up dark matter, etc.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Jadagul wrote:
Aresen wrote:

Clearly, people complaining that physicists do this haven't spent enough time with lawyers.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex »

It's fairly universal. As soon as someone (including myself) utters the magic words "how hard could it be?" it almost guarantees that you are about to find the hell out.

though the amount of higher ed marketing experts found amongst liberal arts professors is STAGGERING.* (some of this is cycle reinforcement of "the reason we don't have bigger salaries is admin bloat" memeplex, but much of it is "i have a phd, something something something")

to be fair, when i feel like playing therapist (PheraphisD) a lot of their objections at their root are often:

a) i personally don't like this conception of the program/brand/outreach effort/whatever, but don't know how to phrase it so i'll just shit on everything that surrounds it.

b) existential terror surrounding how potentially replaceable they are/terror about the dismal future prospects of the industry.**

c) a root issue seemingly unrelated to the topic at hand but rather emblematic (in their own minds, if sometimes unconscious) of the deeper issue. e.g. dawn the dean hates watching the alumni and students rip into decisions made by her office on social media. it causes a lot of headaches. at root, it's about being second-guessed, and depending on the topic, feeling squeezed because no one is going to be happy with any decisions that are made.**** the faculty think you're a betrayer, the other admins think the faculty are just a gang of malcontents, and no one is going to be nice to you if they don't have to.

it's a symbol of the largest issue, which is you make the best of a bad situation every single fucking day and then you die. eventually.

so this gets synthesized into "can't we just delete social media?" (real life example)

which...i feel you. i also wish i could legally kill people who drive poorly. we all got dreams! mine are lately fixated on going to marriage counseling with a woman who isn't my wife. and the therapist doesn't listen to me at all. she's awful. neither of them will admit we're not married and i don't know this lady. she's cute and all but c'mon i gotta get home and make dinner for my real family, you fucking simulacra.

soooooo......when dawn the dean says stuff like this, i try to steer conversation to "social listening is important", "emotions are temporary", and "i don't personally care for [xyz platform], but we need to use all of the tools at our disposal in order to countervail the challenges arrayed against the institution."

* nearly as bad as board members. not quite, tho. a little worse than doctors, who are usually preoccupied with jacking their egos off with both hands and narrowly focused on the lack of worship they receive.
** a not unreasonable fear, but BYCBLTAWB***
*** "bro you can't bro like that at work, bro"
**** i try to be sympathetic but welcome to the very definition of "leadership role" - of course no one is going to be happy. hug your kids, parents, otherwise they end up acting like needy morons who just want to be loved and praised by everyone
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Shem

Post by Shem »

dhex wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 14:14
It's fairly universal. As soon as someone (including myself) utters the magic words "how hard could it be?" it almost guarantees that you are about to find the hell out.

though the amount of higher ed marketing experts found amongst liberal arts professors is STAGGERING.* (some of this is cycle reinforcement of "the reason we don't have bigger salaries is admin bloat" memeplex, but much of it is "i have a phd, something something something")

to be fair, when i feel like playing therapist (PheraphisD) a lot of their objections at their root are often:

a) i personally don't like this conception of the program/brand/outreach effort/whatever, but don't know how to phrase it so i'll just shit on everything that surrounds it.

b) existential terror surrounding how potentially replaceable they are/terror about the dismal future prospects of the industry.**

c) a root issue seemingly unrelated to the topic at hand but rather emblematic (in their own minds, if sometimes unconscious) of the deeper issue. e.g. dawn the dean hates watching the alumni and students rip into decisions made by her office on social media. it causes a lot of headaches. at root, it's about being second-guessed, and depending on the topic, feeling squeezed because no one is going to be happy with any decisions that are made.**** the faculty think you're a betrayer, the other admins think the faculty are just a gang of malcontents, and no one is going to be nice to you if they don't have to.

it's a symbol of the largest issue, which is you make the best of a bad situation every single fucking day and then you die. eventually.

so this gets synthesized into "can't we just delete social media?" (real life example)

which...i feel you. i also wish i could legally kill people who drive poorly. we all got dreams! mine are lately fixated on going to marriage counseling with a woman who isn't my wife. and the therapist doesn't listen to me at all. she's awful. neither of them will admit we're not married and i don't know this lady. she's cute and all but c'mon i gotta get home and make dinner for my real family, you fucking simulacra.

soooooo......when dawn the dean says stuff like this, i try to steer conversation to "social listening is important", "emotions are temporary", and "i don't personally care for [xyz platform], but we need to use all of the tools at our disposal in order to countervail the challenges arrayed against the institution."

* nearly as bad as board members. not quite, tho. a little worse than doctors, who are usually preoccupied with jacking their egos off with both hands and narrowly focused on the lack of worship they receive.
** a not unreasonable fear, but BYCBLTAWB***
*** "bro you can't bro like that at work, bro"
**** i try to be sympathetic but welcome to the very definition of "leadership role" - of course no one is going to be happy. hug your kids, parents, otherwise they end up acting like needy morons who just want to be loved and praised by everyone
...I've really missed having you here.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 20:05
I wonder if there's a reason for this -- not just the Nivea difference, but the European/Asian "tin preference" in general?
Shower thought/sudden theory: at least regarding the Nivea cream, sold in heavy glass jars in America (I mean inherently heavy jars, even when empty) but super-lightweight tins in Portugal (and presumably elsewhere in Europe): I wonder* if it's because all else being equal, metal for making face-cream tins is much more expensive than deep blue glass for jars? But in Europe (and I'm guessing other places too), higher gas prices and other factors make overland shipping more expensive by weight.

I just measured: both the Portuguese tin and American jar have the same width and occupy the same amount of counter space, but the 8.5-ounce/250ml tin is 1.5 inches high, whereas the 13.5-ounce jar is 3.5 inches high with the lid on: more than twice the height/volume plus an extra couple pounds of weight, for only around a 60-ish percent increase in actual contents (I'm too lazy to calculate the precise percentage). If I had two tins and stacked them atop each other, they'd still be a half-inch shorter than the jar, yet contain three and a half ounces more product.

Perhaps there's an ultimate cost calculation "For Nivea made in Mexico and transported to stores throughout the USA, it's cheaper to make heavy glass jars and pay the higher shipping and transporting costs, but in Europe, it's cheaper in the long run to make the more expensive (but lightweight) tins, because of all the money we save on gas and other transport costs actually getting our product to the warehouses/stores?"

*I have absolutely no idea what is the cost of manufacture and raw material, for glass jars vs. metal tins.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Andrew wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 11:49
Jadagul wrote:
Aresen wrote:

Clearly, people complaining that physicists do this haven't spent enough time with lawyers.
Not to mention philosophers.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

It's almost all of the professional class that had to pass some kind of intensive exam or get a specialized degree and then yes technical field professionals and academics. You have a front row to all of these people in financial services because they all want to tell you how it really works.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 20:29
Andrew wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 11:49
Jadagul wrote:
Aresen wrote:

Not to mention philosophers.
A lawyer with a philosophy degree would be the worst.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Andrew wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 14:24
A lawyer with a philosophy degree would be the worst.
But, but I'm board certified in epistemology and ontology!

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I haven't looked, but I'm willing to bet you can get a PhD in Astrology somewhere.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex