Observations of the Random sort

Shem

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Shem » 12 Jan 2018, 12:10

Dangerman wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 10:32
my outgoing message says 'I no longer receive voicemail at this number, it is not monitored and messages will not be returned. Please send an SMS or email if you need to contact me.'
If it's full, they don't hear it. They just get a message that the mailbox is full.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Jan 2018, 12:32

Sandy wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 11:00
Nomorobo has made my phone usable again. I just wish they were allowed to block numbers spoofed to look like they're on the same exchange as you.
It's much easier for me because I don't live anywhere near my exchange, so there's no chance that it's someone I actually want to talk to, so any unknown number like that gets directed straight to voicemail. They never leave a message. Go figure.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Jan 2018, 12:37

lunchstealer wrote:
Sandy wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 11:00
Nomorobo has made my phone usable again. I just wish they were allowed to block numbers spoofed to look like they're on the same exchange as you.
It's much easier for me because I don't live anywhere near my exchange, so there's no chance that it's someone I actually want to talk to, so any unknown number like that gets directed straight to voicemail. They never leave a message. Go figure.
Yeah, No one I want to talk to is on my exchange. All of those calls are rejected.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Jan 2018, 15:44

Shem wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 12:10
Dangerman wrote:
my outgoing message says 'I no longer receive voicemail at this number, it is not monitored and messages will not be returned. Please send an SMS or email if you need to contact me.'
If it's full, they don't hear it. They just get a message that the mailbox is full.
That doesn't seem to be the case with my carrier (VZN).
ETA: That is, you have to listen to my message, and then you are told the mailbox is full, because FYTW.

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jan 2018, 16:38

Dangerman wrote:
Re: robocalls

I've been getting so many that I now leave my voicemail full (so no more can be added) and my outgoing message says 'I no longer receive voicemail at this number, it is not monitored and messages will not be returned. Please send an SMS or email if you need to contact me.'

I'm on the do not call list, I file complaints after each call with the number, time and date. My next action will be a complaint to the NH AG because all of these calls are being routed through a Verizon center in NH, and VZN won't respond to my complaints.
The article I linked explains basically all the reasons why those avenues aren't working.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Jan 2018, 17:37

I get like one to four scam calls per month on my cell phone. I never answer. I don't know how you all are getting hit so bad. Maybe someone thinks you are old.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jan 2018, 17:45

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 17:37
I get like one to four scam calls per month on my cell phone. I never answer. I don't know how you all are getting hit so bad. Maybe someone thinks you are old.
I think any response, even a recorded message, tells the bot that there is a live number. I simply reject any call from a number that I do not recognize.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Jan 2018, 17:55

Mo wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 16:38

The article I linked explains basically all the reasons why those avenues aren't working.
Yeah, I rtfa, I'm just pointing out that I happen to fit neatly into that story.

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jan 2018, 20:26

There's literally nothing that the government can do. AT&T has provided an app that will block many of the calls, but not most of them. The ways to solve it require some technology lift. Part of it is origin validation, basically making sure that the originator of a VoIP call is authorized to originate the call. Also, now phone companies have permission to block calls that can't originate calls, like inbound call only IRS lines.

It happens to me a bunch too. What's nice for me at least is that I have an Orange County, CA line and all of the spoofed calls specifically try to look like they are local calls. However, the only calls I would expect to get from Orange County are from friends/family, so I know I can ignore all calls from those area codes.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Jan 2018, 13:41

I think you're right about a tech lift. I think a protocol designed for analog, human speed use is probably reaching natural limits now that we can robo dial for practically nothing.

But I wonder, if there's actually nothing that can be done, why aren't businesses being spammed as hard? Their numbers are easily found and the internal networks are more machine friendly than human friendly. It should be happening at least by accident more than we hear about, right?

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 13 Jan 2018, 13:56

Dangerman wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 13:41
I think you're right about a tech lift. I think a protocol designed for analog, human speed use is probably reaching natural limits now that we can robo dial for practically nothing.

But I wonder, if there's actually nothing that can be done, why aren't businesses being spammed as hard? Their numbers are easily found and the internal networks are more machine friendly than human friendly. It should be happening at least by accident more than we hear about, right?
I get 2-3 robo calls a day at work. We get the same ones quite frequently.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jan 2018, 13:59

It's less about robo-dialers, which have existed for decades. It's more about the ease of getting on to the infrastructure. VoIP has made telecom access cheap and also made it very easy to hide your location and do it from anywhere. Doing it over POTS has discovery risk and infrastructure lift that no longer exists.

Small companies see it more than bigs ones because they can filter on their side, I suspect. I also would guess the autodialer lists are cleaned up to exclude businesses if they can. They're not dialing numbers at random, but rather using lists where they know there's a person answering.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Jan 2018, 21:10

Word

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jan 2018, 23:59

I can't wait to tell my kids about how the L33T haxx0rs of my day were just trying to get free long distance phone calls.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Jan 2018, 00:54

Exactly 0% of the people that say, "Mark Wahlberg is one of Hollywood's biggest stars because look at how much money his movie makes," would also say, "Sam Jackson is the biggest star ever to grace the silver screen."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Jan 2018, 01:02

Mo wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 00:54
Exactly 0% of the people that say, "Mark Wahlberg is one of Hollywood's biggest stars because look at how much money his movie makes," would also say, "Sam Jackson is the biggest star ever to grace the silver screen."
I would like to know the percentage of people that subscribe to either of those postulates. I would also like to know if the standard deviation in each sample is greater than the number itself.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Jan 2018, 08:04

No one subscribes to the latter because most people are not idiots and understand that total box office is a terrible measure of how big a "star" someone is. A lot of people are claiming the former.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Jan 2018, 09:28

In today's world, I'm not sure I object to total eyeballs watching the movies you make as a proxy of stardom. Cultural relevance of a few Chosen just aint what it used to be and also globalism is a thing. It's always been the case that biggest star isn't best actor.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Jan 2018, 13:39

JasonL wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 09:28
In today's world, I'm not sure I object to total eyeballs watching the movies you make as a proxy of stardom. Cultural relevance of a few Chosen just aint what it used to be and also globalism is a thing. It's always been the case that biggest star isn't best actor.
No one watches Transformer movies for Mark Wahlberg (and he's in the 2 worst performing ones of the series), as evidenced by the fact that no one cared that Shia was replaced by Wahlberg. Similarly, no one watched Planet of the Apes for him either. You can make a good case for Chris Pratt being a big part of the success of GOTG, but he gets zero credit for the success of Jurassic World. It's like saying Will Perdue is a great played because he has 4 rings.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Jan 2018, 14:20

The only measure that matters is what The Market thinks. Which actor makes the most money?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jan 2018, 14:34

Does it matter if I don't know why I, or anyone else for that matter, should care how big a star Mark Wahlberg is? Do I want to know?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Jan 2018, 02:03

So you can know if he deserves money for reshoots when his costar didn't/wasn't able to negotiate that into her contract.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 07:11

So, I just got on instagram a lil while ago. I like travel and food pics in a feed, but, um, linking through to content like a recipe is pretty retarded? Why do people like insta for content delivery with linking that bad?

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Jan 2018, 08:02

Yeah great q
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Jan 2018, 14:09

So it ain't just me. Of course, I'm also not part of the selfie generation, so that might explain it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex