Damn database problems

Eric the .5b

Re: Damn database problems

Post by Eric the .5b »

That's a really strange glitch.

I had to log in today, and I crossed my fingers, but obviously had no problem doing so.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 23:23
Shit, I forgot Six is a Moderator too. Something about this code specifically locks mods out? Has anyone spoken to Rachel lately?

Is David's account accessible? If none of the mods can get in as themselves, how the devil is the correction supposed to be made even after the fix is released?
I'd be astonished if David couldn't access the program as a super-administrator. Stevo is an administrator, too. Maybe he'd at least be willing to try to log in to test the problem.

Masked Grylliader

Post by Masked Grylliader »

My understanding is that it's something you do by logging into the server itself, not the forums (you can't upgrade the forums from inside the forums, as it were) and that login is still fine.

But yeah, any account with moderator access, even the root account, is fucked at the moment.

I'm about to head out of town for two days for work training but when I come back I promise to unleash the full power of my spousal nagging.

-Ellie
Remember, remember

Warren

Post by Warren »

Masked Grylliader wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 07:37
I promise to unleash the full power of my spousal nagging.
Don't make it sound like such a threat.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

So this thing where everybody can log in EXCEPT the ones with "advanced level" access -- okay, I can kind of understand that. Presumably, it's because when you look at ALL of the code or script or whatever actually "creates'' this forum and the accounts on it, the mod accounts have "something" extra the rest do not, and that "something " is specifically fucked up by this problem. Eric could log in without difficulty because HIS account lacks that "something" the accounts of David, Ellie and Number Six have. I get that.

What I can't figure out is why some individual threads have the extra code-babble strings whereas others do not -- and which threads are which keeps changing, too. For example: when this coding issue first became apparent, there was a lot of extra code-babble on the thread I'd started to get feedback on a project, to the point where DAR actually posted a speculation perhaps that particular thread was somehow the cause of the whole problem. Yet -- perfect ironic timing -- the extra code disappeared from that thread only a couple minutes after DAR's comment (or at least after I saw it -- IIRC, he posted it while I was busy writing a post on my own).

Right now, on the front page of the General Chatter forum, the only thread I see with that code babble is Thoreau's "Your Mountains so Lofty" thread. But if I go to page 2 of GC, I see the code-babble on three of the top six threads (I tried and failed to post a screenshot just now): "The Long Tale," "The Bumper Sticker Thread" and "News of the Weird." I can't think of any variable THOSE threads share which the greater number of "un-coded" threads do NOT share -- especially not any variable which initially applied to my "story shredding" thread, then stopped just after DAR mentioned it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Yeah, it seemed at the moment like a possible explanation, but the moment didn't last very long.

I'm going to float the idea of a Facebook Grylliade Group page as a safe-haven of sorts in the event the site crashes and burns. I know some of us are not active FBers and I don't see it as a viable long term alternative, but it does have the added advantage that maybe a few former Grylliaders might also wander in.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I think we should pressure the Ukrainians to investigate what is wrong with the server.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hey, I see "Number 6" listed as being at this forum now! Was he able to access his account? Or is this a weird repetition of the time I saw "Ellie" here while the actual Ellie was still reduced to posting as MG?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Shem

Post by Shem »

Masked Grylliader wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 07:37
My understanding is that it's something you do by logging into the server itself, not the forums (you can't upgrade the forums from inside the forums, as it were) and that login is still fine.

But yeah, any account with moderator access, even the root account, is fucked at the moment.

I'm about to head out of town for two days for work training but when I come back I promise to unleash the full power of my spousal nagging.

-Ellie
I'm not sure if the fix listed here will work, but I'm posting it just in case it will: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2448981
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Masked Grylliader

Post by Masked Grylliader »

Thank you for that! I forwarded it to David.

The current situation is that he tried to install the beta version, but it made the whole forum give a 500 error, so David reverted to a backup. Not sure what his next step will be.

Also, I am voice dictating this, and my two sons are leaning over my shoulder yelling "kill kill!" :shock:

-Ellie
Remember, remember

Warren

Post by Warren »

Masked Grylliader wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 10:12
Thank you for that! I forwarded it to David.

The current situation is that he tried to install the beta version, but it made the whole forum give a 500 error, so David reverted to a backup. Not sure what his next step will be.

Also, I am voice dictating this, and my two sons are leaning over my shoulder yelling "kill kill!" :shock:

-Ellie
Don't kill them both at once, no matter how much they beg. Kill the younger one first. Then see if the other one calms down and learns to behave.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Masked Grylliader wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 10:12
Man that libertarian-to-alt-right pipeline is getting shorter all the time.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

OMG! Y'all! I'M LOGGED IN!!!!!!!! Something about the attempted install/revert-to-backup must have fixed the login problem. We still have all the weird root/tree error language on the boards but I'M BACK, BABY!

"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Forums will be down at midnight CST for another attempt at a fix. Fingers crossed!

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 10:11
OMG! Y'all! I'M LOGGED IN!!!!!!!! Something about the attempted install/revert-to-backup must have fixed the login problem. We still have all the weird root/tree error language on the boards but I'M BACK, BABY!

I'm so glad to see you're back!

Especially after seeing your front :P
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Well, hey, that's progress.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hopefully this will soon cease to matter because the issue will be completely resolved, but: I'm still kinda curious regarding what specific variable separates threads WITH the code-babble from threads without -- it does appear that every single "new" thread started since this weirdness began has the extra code.

grylliade

Post by grylliade »

Looks like everything went well, except that Tapatalk isn’t yet compatible with phpBB 3.3; I’ve disabled it, but if that causes any problems I’ll re-enable it as soon as it’s compatible.
--
David L. Watkins
TANSTAAFL

v4sw4/5CRYhw5ln4/6pr5/6ck3ma7u6Lw6VWm5l6/7Gi5Ce5t6MSXb8HILOPSTen5a3Xs5IMr4p4/-5g6ACMPRS
hackerkey.com

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Ooh, slight graphical makeover.

And also the site seems like it works. :P Thanks!

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Most of the CSS is 404ing for me, leaving the interface...interesting.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I think it might be your board theme (mine was looking awfully borked before I changed back to prosilver) -- can you get to ucp.php?i=173 ?

JD

Post by JD »

Ellie wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 08:47
I think it might be your board theme (mine was looking awfully borked before I changed back to prosilver) -- can you get to ucp.php?i=173 ?

My CSS is broken too. I can get to that URL but it looks as broken as everything else. I'll try changing my theme and seeing if that works.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD »

OK, prosilver works for me! It was not easy changing options with the display all messed up.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Þɐиқ ¥øu føя fᴉxᴉиƃ i⊥!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

I tried some other settings but prosilver seems to be the only one that works.