Earworm Infestations

Stevo Darkly

Re: Earworm Infestations

Post by Stevo Darkly » 26 Oct 2010, 17:02

WRT morphing earwigs, there are two songs that regularly morph (in my head) into "The Bear Necessities" from the 1967 Disney version of Jungle Book.

I can't remember what those two songs are at the moment. I think maybe one is by Peter Murphy and one is by Korn.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 26 Oct 2010, 18:36

passersby were amazed by the tremendous quantities of fecal matter
Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 30 Dec 2011, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
passersby were amazed by the tremendous quantities of fecal matter

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Oct 2010, 00:28

Concrete Blonde, "The Scene of a Perfect Crime"

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 28 Oct 2010, 10:49

For the past 4 or 5 years, I've helped out at my wife's school's fall musical production since my wife is assistant director.

This past weekend was Lauralton Hall's production of Annie.

For 4 days now, snippets of "Hard Knock Life" and "N.Y.C." are stuck.

4 DAYS.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 28 Oct 2010, 16:22

Norbert Wronkletoad wrote:
Stevo Darkly wrote: Dude! As soon as you said the part I bolded above, I could hear that song in my head. Although I had to do some Googling to get the title and the artist -- "Couldn't Get It Right" by the Climax Blues Band.
This is also one of the top two cowbell songs.
yay!!!! well done!

people younger than we are wouldn't have heard it, and wouldn't have known :(
I'm old enough to remember that song. Never liked it. And now I've got it stuck in my head!!!!!

This is a daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangerous thread!!!!!
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 28 Oct 2010, 17:41

fyodor wrote:I'm old enough to remember that song. Never liked it. And now I've got it stuck in my head!!!!!

I don't think I liked it much back in the day, but now I'm discovering how cool a song it is (to my current tastes).

The cowbell, man! The artistry of the cowbell!
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Oct 2010, 15:31

Stevo Darkly wrote:
fyodor wrote:I'm old enough to remember that song. Never liked it. And now I've got it stuck in my head!!!!!

I don't think I liked it much back in the day, but now I'm discovering how cool a song it is (to my current tastes).

The cowbell, man! The artistry of the cowbell!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Oct 2010, 15:43

Stevo Darkly wrote:Especially after you've been working so hard. And punching your card. Eight hours -- for what?
DAMMIT STEVO
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 29 Oct 2010, 15:54

Sorry, Ellie!

I'm afraid I took that other thread right into the Danger Zone.

As it says in the sacred scrolls: "Beware the beast Loggins, for he is the Devil's pawn ..."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Oct 2010, 15:57

Stevo Darkly wrote:Sorry, Ellie!

I'm afraid I took that other thread right into the Danger Zone.

As it says in the sacred scrolls: "Beware the beast Loggins, for he is the Devil's pawn ..."
[Insert Messina / Messiah joke here.]

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 29 Oct 2010, 21:54

I can be really good at the "name this song" game because I mostly recognize stuff by chord progressions. So I recognize it very quickly. I also have very good absolute pitch, which means there are a number of songs I can recognize from literally the first chord. (I bet most of you can do this with, say, "A Hard Day's Night," but I can do it for a lot of things).

However, this makes the song-morphing thing much worse for me. You'd be surprised, for instance, how many songs sound like they're building to the refrain of "Sweet Caroline."

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 29 Oct 2010, 22:44

Jasper wrote:For the past 4 or 5 years, I've helped out at my wife's school's fall musical production since my wife is assistant director.

This past weekend was Lauralton Hall's production of Annie.

For 4 days now, snippets of "Hard Knock Life" and "N.Y.C." are stuck.

4 DAYS.
I must say that someone needs to hook up a generator at Harold Gray's grave. At the rate his corpse must be spinning at the idea of the musical Annie, we could generate thousands of kilowatts.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Nov 2010, 17:53

Since watching The House of the Devil on saturday I've had fragments of this song stuck in my head:

Scene from the movie:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 08 Nov 2010, 18:05

Jadagul wrote:I can be really good at the "name this song" game because I mostly recognize stuff by chord progressions. So I recognize it very quickly. I also have very good absolute pitch, which means there are a number of songs I can recognize from literally the first chord. (I bet most of you can do this with, say, "A Hard Day's Night," but I can do it for a lot of things).

However, this makes the song-morphing thing much worse for me. You'd be surprised, for instance, how many songs sound like they're building to the refrain of "Sweet Caroline."
I didn't think pop-rock songs differed all that much in their chord progressions beyond a few common patterns! Aren't like 70% or more of them just variations on 1-4-5? Well, they were back in my day, anyway....

Regardless, I'd think the sound of a pop song is much more distinctive. Well, that's what I'd think, anyway....

Anyway, it hadn't occurred to me that Swee Caroline was such an archetype, but then, it makes sense!
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

db

Post by db » 08 Nov 2010, 20:38

I had a weird one the other day. I woke up on Saturday with a song stuck in my head, and I felt like I could distinctly remember it being there all night. I actually can't remember what song it was now.

Also, I can sympathize with the partial song stick--the loop from where the song gets broken back to the beginning of the song or phrase is particularly annoying.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Nov 2010, 14:41

This one is a dangerous earworm I've discussed with friends, before - the earworm of a thousand covers.

"Popcorn".

The devastating original from 1969:

The song that cued up on my Droid while getting lunch - a cover I didn't even remember I had:

(I wasn't able to confirm audio on this one, so rolling the dice, here.)

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Nov 2010, 15:21

one of the events our comm health folk are helping sponsor is a poetry slam about responsible drinking. but every time i hear someone say "hey, can you do xyz for this flyer for the slam?" i hear the chorus from that onyx song.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Nov 2010, 15:01

This:

http://www.weebls-stuf
f.com/songs/Narwhals/

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Nov 2010, 21:53

so that guy that did badger badger badger is some kind of thomas kinkaid of musical k-holes?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 22 Nov 2010, 20:19

fyodor wrote:
Jadagul wrote:I can be really good at the "name this song" game because I mostly recognize stuff by chord progressions. So I recognize it very quickly. I also have very good absolute pitch, which means there are a number of songs I can recognize from literally the first chord. (I bet most of you can do this with, say, "A Hard Day's Night," but I can do it for a lot of things).

I didn't think pop-rock songs differed all that much in their chord progressions beyond a few common patterns! Aren't like 70% or more of them just variations on 1-4-5? Well, they were back in my day, anyway....

Regardless, I'd think the sound of a pop song is much more distinctive. Well, that's what I'd think, anyway....

Anyway, it hadn't occurred to me that Swee Caroline was such an archetype, but then, it makes sense!
Hey, no, it's 1-5-6-4!

But yeah, that's actually why I don't listen to much pop music. Because the chords are most of what I hear.

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Nov 2010, 20:28

that's why i only listen to blackened technical deathgrind.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Nov 2010, 20:57

Jadagul wrote:
fyodor wrote:

Hey, no, it's 1-5-6-4!

But yeah, that's actually why I don't listen to much pop music. Because the chords are most of what I hear.
Very cool. Reminds me of:
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 23 Nov 2010, 10:17

Until 48 hours ago, I'd never heard "Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey". Now I can't get it out of my head. *humming*"...When Santa visits his paisans, with Dominic he'll be, because the reindeer cannot climb the hills of Italy!"
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Nov 2010, 12:42

what the fuck? you'd never heard that song?

also fuck you for making me remember it!

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Nov 2010, 12:46

I've never even heard of it.