Earworm Infestations

Ayn_Randian

Re: Earworm Infestations

Post by Ayn_Randian » 25 Feb 2014, 09:29

Were you going to name the baby Day or Night?
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Feb 2014, 09:39

Hah
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Mar 2014, 09:22

I've probably said it before, but dang, the Japanese have really perfected the 80's TV Show Opening Theme Song.

Man, I love 80's TV Theme Songs.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Mar 2014, 17:19

I had this song playing in my head today while I was running:

We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 May 2014, 14:39

I've been listening to this for the last two weeks. Remake of a Miyuki Nakajima song from 1981, and sometimes I just get a hankering for a soft-rock song about love that's not going to work out.

"Akujo"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Aug 2014, 09:18

For some reason NPR found it worthy of mention that it's Jeff Gordon's birthday, and out of the depths of my adolescence my brain dredged up "Jeff Gordon's Gay." I just KNOW I'm going to be singing it all day.

(Sorry for the bad fanvid, I can't find anything else)

"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2014, 09:58

I've had an earworm infestation off and on for at least a year now -- some horn-heavy instrumental which I think was from the late 1960s or early 70s. Since it's an instrumental I can't Google the lyrics, I've tried checking lists of instrumental hits and none of those names ring a bell (nor does clicking on unfamiliar names to listen to them help one bit), and Jeff even has one of those apps on his tablet where you can hum a few bars of a song and it'll identify it for you -- still didn't work. This is driving me NUTS.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Aug 2014, 10:24

TEQUILA!
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Aug 2014, 10:54

Jennifer wrote:I've had an earworm infestation off and on for at least a year now -- some horn-heavy instrumental which I think was from the late 1960s or early 70s. Since it's an instrumental I can't Google the lyrics, I've tried checking lists of instrumental hits and none of those names ring a bell (nor does clicking on unfamiliar names to listen to them help one bit), and Jeff even has one of those apps on his tablet where you can hum a few bars of a song and it'll identify it for you -- still didn't work. This is driving me NUTS.
Not an instrumental, but because people don't remember it, they think it is, so maybe it's Vehicle by The Ides of March?

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Aug 2014, 11:05

Spanish Flea
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2014, 11:24

Neither one of those, alas. (FWIW, Jeff didn't recognize the song either, when I sang/hummed it for him.) I can't read or write musical notation so I can't write the riff here. Closest I can come is to say this: you know how the horn riffs in Spanish Flea are mainly in groups of 8 or 3, with a 6-note riff at the end? In other words, if you hum/"scat sing" them from the start, you'd divide the syllables like this:
Spanish Flea horn riff (in Beavis and Butthead notation)

Da da da da DAH DAH DAH DAH [8 notes]
Da da da da DAH DAH DAH Dah[8 notes]
Da-da-da,
duh-duh-duh,
duh-duh-duh,
duh-duh-duh,
duh duh duh,
duh-duh-duh-DUUUUH [a few bars of 3 notes each, plus an extra-long note tacked on at the end]
Duh duh DUH duh duh duh. [6 notes]
The earworm horn riff I keep hearing is mostly in groups of 5-3-5-3, like this:
Duh duh duh DUHDA,
duh-duh-duh,
Duh duh duh DUHDA,
duh-duh-duh.
... only repeated over and over again. And I think there's also some early-70s wocka-wocka guitar playing, too, but I'm not sure.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Aug 2014, 11:34

Is there any other song it's LIKE? For instance, is it the same style as Spanish Flea? Or is it more Rock, or Disco?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2014, 11:42

Highway wrote:Is there any other song it's LIKE? For instance, is it the same style as Spanish Flea? Or is it more Rock, or Disco?
It's definitely more 'like" Spanish Flea; sort of the Sixties version of the old-school 1940s "Big band" sound. (That song you linked, by contrast -- that's not "big band," that sounds more like a movie soundtrack for a tough street-savvy badass. This earworm burrowing through my brain is not remotely badass.)

What bothers me is, even Jeff's song-recognizing app didn't recognize it. And before anyone suggests maybe the problem is that my singing is tone-deaf -- I did consider that possibility, and tested it by scat-humming riffs from Music Box Dancer, some irritating old Carpenters song and a couple other things, and the app recognized them all. But this song must've been something commonplace enough to either play frequently on whatever radio stations my parents listened to in the car when my kidself tagged along, or possibly on some TV show they used to watch; where else would I have heard it? It feels more like a "car radio" memory than a TV show memory.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 04 Aug 2014, 11:47

Jennifer wrote: The earworm horn riff I keep hearing is mostly in groups of 5-3-5-3, like this:
Duh duh duh DUHDA,
duh-duh-duh,
Duh duh duh DUHDA,
duh-duh-duh.
... only repeated over and over again. And I think there's also some early-70s wocka-wocka guitar playing, too, but I'm not sure.
Try Chuck Mangione's Feels So Good.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2014, 11:48

tr0g wrote:
Jennifer wrote: The earworm horn riff I keep hearing is mostly in groups of 5-3-5-3, like this:
Duh duh duh DUHDA,
duh-duh-duh,
Duh duh duh DUHDA,
duh-duh-duh.
Not that; I've sat through enough King of the Hill episodes to recognize it.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 04 Aug 2014, 11:55

Jennifer wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Duh duh duh DUHDA,
duh-duh-duh,
Duh duh duh DUHDA,
duh-duh-duh.
Not that; I've sat through enough King of the Hill episodes to recognize it.
Herp Alpert's Rise? Only other instrumental I can think of that was reasonably popular in the right time frame.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Aug 2014, 11:56

The Lonely Bull?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2014, 13:40

Neither one of those. Come to think of it, I doubt the earworm is a Herb Alpert piece because his horn riffs aren't so monotonous: all I can remember is that 5-3-5-3 over and over again.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Aug 2014, 14:06

What is the tempo? And even if you were hearing it on the radio does it sound like a TV theme?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Aug 2014, 14:07

Can you take a video with your phone of yourself singing it and post it on Facebook?
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2014, 14:28

Ellie wrote:Can you take a video with your phone of yourself singing it and post it on Facebook?
Probably, but I would never be so foolish!
What is the tempo? And even if you were hearing it on the radio does it sound like a TV theme?
I don't know the right terms to discuss tempo -- um, I guess "upbeat?" Of course, all I can remember of it is the monotonous 5-3-5-3-5-3-5-3 horn riff, and this vague thought that maybe there's also some 70s wocka-wocka guitars in the background. (Come to think of it, I think the main riff is 5-3-5-3-5-3-5, without the final three-note line.)

I can't think offhand of many/any horn-heavy instrumental TV themes (of course, until I looked up "Spanish Flea" today, I did recognize the tune but had no idea what its name was; I thought it was the theme to some 70s game show, maybe?)

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Aug 2014, 14:29

Spanish Flea was also the theme song to the Dating Game.

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Aug 2014, 14:30

Is it the theme to The Match Game?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Aug 2014, 14:33

By tempo I mean was it fast or slow?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2014, 14:45

D.A. Ridgely wrote:By tempo I mean was it fast or slow?
Sort of in the middle, I guess. Too fast for slow-dancing, a bit slower than Spanish Flea.