Earworm Infestations

Eric the .5b

Earworm Infestations

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Jun 2010, 14:23

Because I don't believe we have a song-stuck-in-head thread on this version of the site.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Re: Earworm Infestations

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Jun 2010, 14:25

"This Big Hush" by Shriekback, particularly the beginning. Admittedly, it's a lovely song to have crammed in the brain.

I'd link a video, but as I'm at work and don't have headphones, I can't figure out which of many YouTube links for it actually has decent audio quality. I'll see if I can drop a link in tonight.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

peejaybee

Post by peejaybee » 09 Jun 2010, 16:16

Eric the .5b wrote:"This Big Hush" by Shriekback, particularly the beginning. Admittedly, it's a lovely song to have crammed in the brain.

I'd link a video, but as I'm at work and don't have headphones, I can't figure out which of many YouTube links for it actually has decent audio quality. I'll see if I can drop a link in tonight.
Bowie's "Moonage Daydream" will not get out of my head, unless perhaps I place a raygun against it.

Not that I'd want to, it's a good song.
"I think I'll have tacos tonight (unless I encounter somali pirates on the way home)."

-- Jason L describes the Universal Caveat.

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Jun 2010, 16:19

the beginning of born slippy by underworld. i was messing with my jp8000 and came up with a patch that sounds pretty close (minus the 'verb) and now i'm sort of annoyed because i don't really care for underworld.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Jun 2010, 12:02

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Jun 2010, 04:39

Ah, "This Big Hush":
(nothing to do with the song, but bouncing primates!)

Bonus: An amusing and kinda stylish cover:

Lead singer, though? I submit you have a problem if you're barely making through verses without taking a drag.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 13 Jun 2010, 23:45

Eric the .5b wrote:"This Big Hush" by Shriekback, particularly the beginning. Admittedly, it's a lovely song to have crammed in the brain.
Oh, great, gotdammit. That is a cool song I've never heard before, by a band I've never heard. I can tell that this is going to end up with me buying a Shriekback CD. It's going to be Peter Murphy all over again.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Jun 2010, 00:05

Stevo Darkly wrote:
Oh, great, gotdammit. That is a cool song I've never heard before, by a band I've never heard. I can tell that this is going to end up with me buying a Shriekback CD. It's going to be Peter Murphy all over again.
Hee. :) If you want that album, it's Oil and Gold, which I so far think is their best, though I'm still gathering up their albums from this century. It's an album of total awesome that downshifts into merely excellent a bit into the second half.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 21 Jun 2010, 13:42

This afternoon I have the beginning of "This Big Hush" by Shriekback stuck in my head.

*shakes fist somewhat*

I don't have the CD yet, but I've been listening to that song on GrooveShark.

It seems like an ideal song to listen to while sitting around an outdoor fire at night, with a drink in your hand and talking to friends. I'm putting together a list.

(Hmm, this makes me think of a possible thread topic for later. I'll put it in the "Joys of Life" forum, though.)
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Sep 2010, 14:36

Dammit, I wrote a Ficly in which I quoted Handel's Messiah, and now I have the tenor solos in my head.

Every valley
Shall be exalted
Shall be exa-a-a
a-a-a-a-a
a-a-a-a-a
a-a-a-a-a
a-a-a-a-a-a-AL-ted!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Sep 2010, 14:48

"Handel!"

"Whuh?"

"In about 360 years, someone's going to have that thing you just wrote stuck in her head."

"Fuckin' A."

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 20 Sep 2010, 19:11

Every time I see the thread title, "Why don't we have a thread for good things anymore?", I hear in my head the Kinks song, "Where Have All the Good Times Gone?" (At least I think that's what it's called!)
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 20 Sep 2010, 21:57

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 Sep 2010, 04:46

Ellie wrote:Dammit, I wrote a Ficly in which I quoted Handel's Messiah, and now I have the tenor solos in my head.

Every valley
Shall be exalted
Shall be exa-a-a
a-a-a-a-a
a-a-a-a-a
a-a-a-a-a
a-a-a-a-a-a-AL-ted!
And I will
sha-a-a-a
a-a-a-a
a-a-a-a
a-a-a-a
a-a-a-a
a-a-a-a
ake all nations,
and the desire of all nations shall come.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Oct 2010, 15:28

"Fields of Fire" by Big Country has been stuck in my head since yesterday.

Four hundred miles...
Without a word until you smile.

Four hundred miles - on fields of fire!

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 14 Oct 2010, 16:29

I'm not familiar with "Fields of Fire," but as of this second "In a Big Country" by Big Country is now stuck in my head, thank you.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert
But I can live and breathe and see the sun
In win-ter-ti-ime..

In a big country
Dreams stay with you
Like a lover's voice
'Cross* the mountainside...

*My recollection of the lyrics differs slightly from what I'm finding online. I'm sticking with my own memories. It's my head.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Oct 2010, 16:30

I actually find "Fields of Fire" even more earwormy than "In a Big Country".

I'll try to find you a YouTube link when I get home.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 14 Oct 2010, 16:40

Found one already, thanks! *shakes fist of gratitude at Eric* It's playing right now.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 14 Oct 2010, 16:45

Somewhat along the same lines, I really like "Cap in Hand" by the Proclaimers. Specifically the chorus.

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Oct 2010, 16:47

does it count if you get your own song stuck in your head? it's a ditty i sing to liam to try and get him to calm down/otherwise distract him, but it's kinda catchy.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Oct 2010, 16:54

dhex wrote:does it count if you get your own song stuck in your head? it's a ditty i sing to liam to try and get him to calm down/otherwise distract him, but it's kinda catchy.
I think so. Any chance of throwing a copy up on archive.org or wherever you prefer? :)

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Oct 2010, 10:35

ha i've never recorded it, but it goes something like this:

mister turkey taco
you're covered in burritos
but you're only
one percent
chimichanga
by volume
(wee hee)

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 15 Oct 2010, 11:50

passersby were amazed by the tremendous quantities of fecal matter
Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 30 Dec 2011, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
passersby were amazed by the tremendous quantities of fecal matter

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Oct 2010, 11:59

dhex wrote:ha i've never recorded it, but it goes something like this:
Hah! Cool. :)

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Oct 2010, 12:26

it seems recent, that is, maybe within the last five years on the coasts, more recently hier in the interior... anybody know?
i've used and heard earworm used for at least as long as i can remember reading about music, so upwards of 20 years?