Re: We need a new word for that

Post by JasonL »

Scheissethreaden?

nicole

Post by nicole »

Diskussionstrangzusammenballung?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

(I like it because of the play between "strang" and "ballung" too, I think it works guys!)

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

There's a rolls off the tongue issue perhaps.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

Shem wrote:
Highway wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:I know I dislike talking of Duane as "My mom's boyfriend", especially given how long they've been together and have lived together.
See? Koibito!
NO. No Japanese loan words. No. I refuse to spend years hearing neckbeards lecture me about why I fail to grasp the nuances of the term while they call themselves a title popularized for pedophile-murderers. That well is poisoned.
The secret to fighting that is then to call it Japanimation and talk about the superiority of the dubbed versions. Eventually they will fly into a rage, and when they attack you with some "martial arts" you can just punch them in the throat.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Shem wrote:
Highway wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:I know I dislike talking of Duane as "My mom's boyfriend", especially given how long they've been together and have lived together.
See? Koibito!
NO. No Japanese loan words. No. I refuse to spend years hearing neckbeards lecture me about why I fail to grasp the nuances of the term while they call themselves a title popularized for pedophile-murderers. That well is poisoned.
The secret to fighting that is then to call it Japanimation and talk about the superiority of the dubbed versions. Eventually they will fly into a rage, and when they attack you with some "martial arts" you can just punch them in the throat.
Which is more offensive to them: Weaboo or Wapanese?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

Hugh Akston wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Shem wrote:
Highway wrote:
See? Koibito!
Which is more offensive to them: Weaboo or Wapanese?

nicole

Post by nicole »

JasonL wrote:There's a rolls off the tongue issue perhaps.
I'm not getting it :)

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

Tinderpost?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Shem wrote:
Highway wrote:
See? Koibito!
Now I'm curious...

Highway

Post by Highway »

Dangerman wrote:
Shem wrote:
Highway wrote:
See? Koibito!
Now I'm curious...
All I can think of is weeaboo or otaku. Maybe lolicon.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

On the best friend topic:
My best friend from the USMC and I encountered the term Warren mentioned-hetero life mate- in one of Kevin Smith's movies, and used to use it with only a touch of irony. Of course, I worked with this guy, shared a small room with this guy, and spent most of my off time with this guy. So it fit.
Brother from another mother (I don't know a female-friendly equivalent) sounds silly, but I also kind of like it. I've certainly had friends who I was close enough with that a family term seemed appropriate.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I thought 'brother from another mother' was always a joke on the racial/ethnic composition of the pairing?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

All I know is that no matter how many times I hear it, no matter how much I DO know what it means, I always have a moment of thinking, "Wait, so you're half-siblings?"

Jason S.

Post by Jason S. »

Is there a word that conveys the same sense of silly panic as hysteria, but without the sexist etymology? Should I stop worrying about the sexist etymology?
"I'm sure Jason S. is a fine fellow..." -JasonL

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian »

Jason S. wrote:Is there a word that conveys the same sense of silly panic as hysteria, but without the sexist etymology? Should I stop worrying about the sexist etymology?
Frenzy / frenzied? Also, yes, don't worry about the etymology.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jason S. wrote:Is there a word that conveys the same sense of silly panic as hysteria, but without the sexist etymology? Should I stop worrying about the sexist etymology?
I don't think the term itself is the problem so much as the lack of balance. What we need is a term that conveys a sense of uncontrolled rage caused by uncoupled testicles.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole »

"uncoupled testicles"

I suddenly feel like there is something about male anatomy I really do not know...

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Uncoupled is actually a really nice choice of words on my part because it can refer either to a pair of balls that have disconnected from the rest of the plumbing to go on a walkabout, or to a ball that is flying solo and thus no longer part of a couple of balls.

Note to future gryllistorians: I didn't actually mean to be so poetic when I first posted that, and only realized it after the fact. WHERES YOUR AUTHORIAL INTENT MESSIAH NOW

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hugh Akston wrote:Uncoupled is actually a really nice choice of words on my part because it can refer either to a pair of balls that have disconnected from the rest of the plumbing to go on a walkabout, or to a ball that is flying solo and thus no longer part of a couple of balls.

Note to future gryllistorians: I didn't actually mean to be so poetic when I first posted that, and only realized it after the fact. WHERES YOUR AUTHORIAL INTENT MESSIAH NOW
Those historians will be puzzled by your one-man war on authorial intent.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian »

Conscious uncoupling?
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Andrew wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Uncoupled is actually a really nice choice of words on my part because it can refer either to a pair of balls that have disconnected from the rest of the plumbing to go on a walkabout, or to a ball that is flying solo and thus no longer part of a couple of balls.

Of course they will. They won't be able to discern my motivations from the text alone.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Of course they will. They won't be able to discern my motivations from the text alone.
Note to future gryllistorians: Regardless of Hugh's intent, he totally made me come in my pants just now.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote:
I don't think the term itself is the problem so much as the lack of balance. What we need is a term that conveys a sense of uncontrolled rage caused by uncoupled testicles.
testosteronia
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hugh Akston wrote:
"Unhinged".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.