Rules, RVs, and a four-story phallus: the HOA thread

Ayn_Randian

Re: Rules, RVs, and a four-story phallus: the HOA thread

Post by Ayn_Randian » 06 Feb 2013, 09:37

JasonL wrote:Now AR you know it's not just you. T. Can make 10 passive aggressive kind for comic effect kind of butthurt statements each morning before coffee. We are all friends here, but that is the truth.
Ha, well, you know that I lack the ability to observe social customs and cues, so sometimes I miss things.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Feb 2013, 10:13

JasonL wrote:Now AR you know it's not just you. T. Can make 10 passive aggressive kind for comic effect kind of butthurt statements each morning before coffee. We are all friends here, but that is the truth.
What? Did he fail to take clinical psychology in elementary school, too?

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 06 Feb 2013, 10:22

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
What? Did he fail to take clinical psychology in elementary school, too?
Only Not Serious People ask those sorts of questions.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Feb 2013, 10:27

Jasper wrote:

It's easier to be a passive-aggressive dick to someone on the tubes than in real life with the HOA.
I'm pretty rude on the phone with the property management company these days. They've earned it.

Anyway, I have to get to work on painting my exterior walls purple. Fuck them.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Feb 2013, 10:34

Mo wrote:
Jennifer wrote:When I look at local real estate listings, and am tempted by the thought of how condos are sooo much less expensive than free-standing non-HOA houses .... I check this thread to regain my strength of will. But it sucks that Thoreau has to go through such bullshit.
There's a reason condos are less expensive. It's the regulatory overhang.
The regulations themselves don't bother me. The incompetent administration does. I have lived in a lot of apartment complexes with professional management and I never had the hassles that I had when moving in here, nor did I have any hassles with bullshit violation notices.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Feb 2013, 10:37

thoreau wrote:
Mo wrote:
Jennifer wrote:When I look at local real estate listings, and am tempted by the thought of how condos are sooo much less expensive than free-standing non-HOA houses .... I check this thread to regain my strength of will. But it sucks that Thoreau has to go through such bullshit.
The regulations themselves don't bother me. The incompetent administration does. I have lived in a lot of apartment complexes with professional management and I never had the hassles that I had when moving in here, nor did I have any hassles with bullshit violation notices.
The largely unavoidably problems of this nature are similar to why syndicalism doesn't work well, either.

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Feb 2013, 10:53

Is your HOA self-managed, or do they hire a management company? If it's the latter, perhaps start agitating for a better management company. If they're complete fuckups, which they seem to be, then more people are probably being hassled than you.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Feb 2013, 10:59

It's a management company.
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Feb 2013, 11:23

thoreau wrote:
Mo wrote:
Actually, based on my perusal of local prices, it appears that "land" is the main reason condos cost less than houses; even a single-family with a postage-stamp yard comprises one single household on enough space for three or four condos, at least. But I DO NOT want to put myself, my home and a good chunk of my life savings at the mercy of whatever power-hungry schmuck gets a job with HOA management. If Thoreau were living in an apartment, he could simply grit his teeth and wait out the rest of his lease before moving someplace better. Now, of course, "moving someplace better" is a MUCH more complicated and much more expensive deal.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 06 Feb 2013, 11:28

thoreau wrote:It's a management company.
Our POA fired our last management company, in part because our property administrator was a raving lunatic bitch. We got a violation notice telling us to move the empty flowerpots that were not visible from the street. Please note I'm not saying the pots weren't visible from the street. The violation notice specified that. Apparently we were not the only people who had issues with her, because she was removed as our property manager about 2 months before the contract expired and the POA switched companies.

I also found it amusing the previous property mangement company (PCMI, I don't recommend) was a wholly owned subsidiary of an English water utility. Global commerce wends down some strange paths.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Feb 2013, 17:13

While my wife was running errands today they painted our spot. So, it seems like it's all good. But, just to be safe, we're going to park elsewhere on Friday, since I can see signals getting crossed and somebody showing up to do the paint job and having our car towed.

I'm mildly curious what would have happened if the car had been there when they showed up to paint today. (Remember, we got no notice of painting today.)
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Jan 2014, 15:28

Bumping this thread since the H&R thread has turned into a HOA discussion, and I thought that some people might want to discuss four-story phalluses.
--Shem

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 22 Jan 2014, 16:53

thoreau wrote:Bumping this thread since the H&R thread has turned into a HOA discussion, and I thought that some people might want to discuss four-story phalluses.
Well, if we move into the city, we won't have a POA anymore. I'll see if the wife is cool with me erecting a four-story phallus.

I mean, I was just going to hang giant lighted skulls on the outside pillars, but a ginormo reproductive organ works, too. What's the point of moving into a warehouse district if you don't do shit like that?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Jan 2014, 17:05

Way to live the dream, tr0g! :)
--Shem

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 22 Jan 2014, 17:18

tr0g wrote:
thoreau wrote:Bumping this thread since the H&R thread has turned into a HOA discussion, and I thought that some people might want to discuss four-story phalluses.
Well, if we move into the city, we won't have a POA anymore. I'll see if the wife is cool with me erecting a four-story phallus.

I mean, I was just going to hang giant lighted skulls on the outside pillars, but a ginormo reproductive organ works, too. What's the point of moving into a warehouse district if you don't do shit like that?
See, and now you've proven my original point, which was "don't move to the warehouse district"

:)

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Feb 2015, 15:35

Our HOA Management company just sent out an email suggesting that everyone set their thermostats to 70-72 to make sure pipes in your house don't freeze.

Really? Cause setting it to 65 or 67 won't keep it above freezing, but 70-72 will? Apparently they're going for the 'run up everyone's gas bill' strategy.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 20 Feb 2015, 16:29

Highway wrote:Our HOA Management company just sent out an email suggesting that everyone set their thermostats to 70-72 to make sure pipes in your house don't freeze.

Really? Cause setting it to 65 or 67 won't keep it above freezing, but 70-72 will? Apparently they're going for the 'run up everyone's gas bill' strategy.
Somewhere on the internet is a web page that advises this, and it was the first hit the HOA person found with their search terms. I wouldn't read more into it than that.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 20 Feb 2015, 16:30

Also, my POA is having a special meeting to kick one of the directors off the board. I'd attend for comedic value, but I have way too much to do for that shit. I contemplated sending our proxy in to keep her on the board, because why the hell not?

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Feb 2015, 19:11

If they hate her, she's doing something right?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Jul 2015, 12:38

I really wanted to start meeting our neighbors in the townhouse complex but I become paralyzed at the prospect. My bright idea was to join the HOA board to force me to meet people.

That just revealed that we have a really shitty HOA board where former members are suing current members and other members are bitching about having a law firm on retainer because "You know, we used to just have lawyer friends of residents do work pro bono and we were fine!" but at the same time are trying to sue their former law firm for supposedly not filing their 1989 bylaws updates (while refusing to just file them themselves for 26 years straight because "that law firm has deep pockets if we can get 'em for malpractice") and the whole organization is broke, contra to what their financial statements implied.

They also want to tear down the playground because oh noes it might be unsafe and someone could sue us. Since that's a huge reason we bought in this complex (it's like a backyard we don't have to mow!), it's a good incentive to stay on the board and fight it all Over My Dead Body style. Everyone else apparently gets one issue to be a wang about, so this will be mine.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Jul 2015, 12:53

My knowledge of our HOA is limited to knowing which door to knock on if I need keys to the party rental room by the pool. I like it that way.
--Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Jul 2015, 14:00

Ellie wrote: we have a really shitty HOA board
In other words, you have an HOA.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 16 Jul 2015, 14:05

Man, if only someone here at the gryll worked at a large corporate law firm whose main specialty is Community Association and HOA law...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Jul 2015, 14:05

I would only involve myself with an HOA for a place I lived as an attorney so I could charge the shit out of them and eventually foreclose on the properties and become everyone's slumlord.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Jul 2015, 12:20

Taktix® wrote:Man, if only someone here at the gryll worked at a large corporate law firm whose main specialty is Community Association and HOA law...
I'm sure the technical details of such things vary from state to state, but if the concern is that someone from outside the complex will fall off our swingset and sue us, can't we cover our asses sufficiently by just posting a sign that says something like, "No trespassing, for residents only, non-residents assume their own liability"?
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole