Rules, RVs, and a four-story phallus: the HOA thread

Ellie

Re: Rules, RVs, and a four-story phallus: the HOA thread

Post by Ellie » 30 Jun 2018, 23:25

I have no idea why they think the board would be liable if their properties don't sell. Probably something something not taking care of the grounds and keeping property values up, like Highway mentioned. And like I said, they've been ON THE BOARD -- one of them the president for three years straight -- when any decisions were made about landscaping or parking lot repair or making people pick up crap from their patios. So I dunno. Mostly I'm thrilled because the president-who-quit was one of those people who never stops talking so our meetings would be 2+ hours long, and now they're 15-30 minutes.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jun 2018, 23:46

Well, that's a bonus. Maybe the president-who-quit is going to sue the board because you guys didn't take things seriously enough and now the neighborhood is crap and it's all YOUR fault cause you didn't listen to him ramble on and on in all those meetings! He told you that you couldn't allow those people to change the color of their door! But you didn't listen nooooooooooo....
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jul 2018, 14:08

Your board should also consider getting insured against volcanoes, tsunami, and zombie apocalypse. You might also look into how much it would cost to add alien invasion pew pew.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Jul 2018, 18:48

Also asteroid strikes. ONE SINGLE ASTEROID could wipe out your entire complex!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jul 2018, 17:28

Although I don't feel like digging it out of the archive so I can then quote it ironically, I KNOW there are scads of places on this and other threads where I said things like "Fuck HOAs; no way would I buy a house in one," though in the interest of fairness there's also a handful of times I've said things like "I can see the need for an HOA in a condo complex, where things like the roofs and outer walls are owned in common, but NOT for detached single-family homes."

I say this because I have discovered to my astonishment that apparently, in suburban Atlanta, there are condo complexes that do NOT have HOAs! When I first moved here two years ago, I did an exploratory walk through my neighborhood -- my apartment complex is off a dead-end street with a dozen or so apartment/condo complexes branching out of it. And there's this one complex at the very end of the street -- buildings made in that "dark, stained wood" style which I think was very chic and popular in the mid-to-late 70s -- but it is in TERRIBLE condition: even seeing it from the street, without my glasses on (meaning, I can't make out fine details more than a few feet away), it was obvious that the exteriors of some of the buildings in that complex were literally rotting and falling apart. I figured it must be an apartment complex whose owner is a hardcore slumlord. Then one day, while browsing through local realty listings to get a feel for what Jeff and I can afford, I discovered it was actually condominiums because I saw one in that complex listed for sale -- and the listing boasted that there is NO HOA involved.

Then, a couple months ago, there was a terrible fire in the condo complex literally next door to mine -- I remember being thankful that it had rained that day, so the fire wouldn't spread through the kudzu field and set my building alight too-- that complex is built in the same 70s dark-stained-wood style. And the burnt-out husk of the building is still there; there's caution tape surrounding it, but nobody has made the slightest effort toward tearing it down. So I wonder: is that another "no-HOA" condominium, and nobody's tearing down the gutted building because nobody is actually responsible for it?

Seriously, how the fucking hell does a condominium complex with shared roofs and outer walls function without an HOA? That definitely-HOAless complex down the street, and the possibly-HOAless complex next door with its untouched burned building ... if anyone needs an illustration of "Why Communism can never work" but does NOT want the expense of going to Havana, stop by my neighborhood and I'll give y'all a tour.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Aug 2018, 20:27

My term is up on September 19. Please, PLEASE don't let me talk myself into running for the board again. I'll let you put anything in my sig that you want if I allow myself to get roped into it.

Jake

Post by Jake » 21 Aug 2018, 20:51

I call dibs on Ellie's sig space!
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Aug 2018, 11:16

Jake wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 20:51
Why? So you can put one of your milk-toast homilies in it?

Jake

Post by Jake » 22 Aug 2018, 13:20

Warren wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 11:16
Jake wrote:
Ow.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Aug 2018, 13:25

Dammit, now I'm craving toast. Stupid pregnancy.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Aug 2018, 15:16

I dunno, I'm thinking the only thing worse than serving on an HOA board would be having some busybody-asshole type sitting on the board in your place.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 24 Aug 2018, 15:21

Jake wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 13:20
Warren wrote:
Jake wrote:
Ow.
Don't be too hurt, it's 'milquetoast' that you should worry about. Milk Toast sounds... not bad if done correctly.

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Aug 2018, 15:50

This is why we tow the lion.

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Aug 2018, 02:10

Dangerman wrote:
Jake wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 13:20
Warren wrote:
Jake wrote:
Ow.
Don't be too hurt, it's 'milquetoast' that you should worry about. Milk Toast sounds... not bad if done correctly.
It’s no milk steak.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 09 Oct 2019, 09:52

For the next time your HOA annoys you.

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston