the entirely civil and thoughtful israel thread

lunchstealer

Re: the entirely civil and thoughtful israel thread

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 11:57
lunchstealer wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 11:31 So Israel makes a deal with the UAE that trades annexation of parts of the West Bank for official peace and normalization of relations. Trump is taking credit. I didn't see this coming at all. Does anyone who follows international relations more than me know if this is one of the cases of Trump's unorthodoxy and outsiderism actually helping, or is it just business that has been ongoing and finally a log jam in Israel and UAE broke internally to those nations and US involvement was more just long term stabilization work by State Department wonks than some outsider disruptionism from Trump kicking over all the ossified sandcastles within State?

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/isr ... eal-638524
Neither. This was all about Iran. They both hate Iran, they're both distant enough from each other to not actually give a fuck about the other one for any reasons other than playing up ideology to rubes, and this greases the skids so they can collaborate on attacking the common enemy.
I'd consider 'fear of Iran' to be a version of a break to the internal logjam of both nations. So at best the US involvement is in getting them together and possibly saying that they could further isolate Iran if they worked together, or at least a little bit less against each other. But yeah I'm 100% certain that your analysis is that Iran, not US influence or Trump's dealmaking, is what broke those logjams.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Most Americans can't spell UAE, so Trump can try to take all the credit he wants. It isn't like his base gives a rat's ass.
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 15:21 Most Americans can't spell UAE, so Trump can try to take all the credit he wants. It isn't like his base gives a rat's ass.
Maybe. But they sure as hell care about the other side of the deal.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I gotta admit, I kinda like Trump/Jared's approach of piecemeal normalization of relations between Israel and various other players in the ME. I'm not 100% sure whether its a real thing, or other leaders pulling the wool over the Trump Administration's eyes. Hopefully Hunter Biden keeps it going come February.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 15:56 I gotta admit, I kinda like Trump/Jared's approach of piecemeal normalization of relations between Israel and various other players in the ME. I'm not 100% sure whether its a real thing, or other leaders pulling the wool over the Trump Administration's eyes. Hopefully Hunter Biden keeps it going come February.
It's as good as anyone else has ever managed in the region. I expect it will lead to the same disappointing results.
Biden will abandon it for no other reason than Trump started it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:16
Hugh Akston wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 15:56 I gotta admit, I kinda like Trump/Jared's approach of piecemeal normalization of relations between Israel and various other players in the ME. I'm not 100% sure whether its a real thing, or other leaders pulling the wool over the Trump Administration's eyes. Hopefully Hunter Biden keeps it going come February.
It's as good as anyone else has ever managed in the region. I expect it will lead to the same disappointing results.
Go nuclear (fission or fusion) and let the whole middle east drown in its oil.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:38
Warren wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:16
Go nuclear (fission or fusion) and let the whole middle east drown in its oil.
SOLD!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Shem

Post by Shem »

It's less about Trump and more about a united front against Iran, so I don't expect it'll change that much.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen