the entirely civil and thoughtful israel thread

JD

Re: the entirely civil and thoughtful israel thread

Post by JD »

I would think there is a certain segment of evangelical Christians who would be really freaked out about a US President (semi-)declaring himself "King of Israel".
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JD wrote:I would think there is a certain segment of evangelical Christians who would be really freaked out about a US President (semi-)declaring himself "King of Israel".
Depends on whether that President has a D or R after the name.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Let's ban anyone who's lived or worked in the NYC area from any federal office, just as a precaution. People talk about the Bushes, but between Trump, Bloomberg, and the Mayor of 9/11, that place is out-crazying Texas and Florida combined hard.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Dude Matt Gaetz, Debbie Wasserman, Alan Grayson, Louis Gohmert, Blake Fahrenhold and the Zodiac Killer. Also, Trump spends more time in Palm Beach than NYC.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Mo wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 16:23 Dude Matt Gaetz, Debbie Wasserman, Alan Grayson, Louis Gohmert, Blake Fahrenhold and the Zodiac Killer. Also, Trump spends more time in Palm Beach than NYC.
Trump alone out-crazies them all.

Besides, migrating to Florida is just what they do to spread the crazy.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Who is crazier, the lunatic or their disciples?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo »

Also, how is Ben Shapiro a thing and why is he considered a “conservative intellectual”? He somehow was unsure that Steve King was racist and today he said, “I don’t think Trump meant Democratic Jews were disloyal to Israel,” about an hour before Trump said, “I meant Democratic Jews were disloyal to Israel.”

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

why is he considered a “conservative intellectual”
Because that's what his publicist or whoever put on the paper.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Ben Shapiro is as close as you can come to a picture in the dictionary for the word "twerp".
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Dangerman wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 18:27
It's like Rob Schneider being a bona fide comedian.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

Dangerman wrote:
Supposedly serious outlets have repeated it. Though I guess the modifier now does to intellectual what adding ‘political’ to humorist does to comedy.

dhex

Post by dhex »

Mo wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 18:24 Also, how is Ben Shapiro a thing and why is he considered a “conservative intellectual”? He somehow was unsure that Steve King was racist and today he said, “I don’t think Trump meant Democratic Jews were disloyal to Israel,” about an hour before Trump said, “I meant Democratic Jews were disloyal to Israel.”
he's a human bumper sticker generator. that's his appeal.

no it doesn't sound appealing to me either.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Mo

Post by Mo »

He doesn’t sound appealing either. He has a voice for print.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 18:24 Also, how is Ben Shapiro a thing and why is he considered a “conservative intellectual”?
I've been fortunate enough to not even know who Ben Shapiro was. Looking at the titles of his books, I would put him on the far right, which is the conservative end of the one dimensional American political spectrum. And he's written books. So he's an intellectual.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Since when are intellectuals always right?
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Mo wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 18:24 Also, how is Ben Shapiro a thing and why is he considered a “conservative intellectual”? He somehow was unsure that Steve King was racist and today he said, “I don’t think Trump meant Democratic Jews were disloyal to Israel,” about an hour before Trump said, “I meant Democratic Jews were disloyal to Israel.”
The complete evaporation of standards on Team Red.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

In Trump-land the ability to use words with three syllables makes you an intellectual.

I don't like Shapiro. He's glib, slick, and dishonest. But he's also very smart and well-spoken.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

Oh yeah, Israel would never conduct spying operations inside the US. That’s totally believable. By the way, what’s Jonathan Pollard up to these days.

https://politi.co/2ZXxEgS

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Per wiki per the conditions of his parole, he has to stay in New York City.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 18:44 Per wiki per the conditions of his parole, he has to stay in New York City.
New York City!?
Get a rope.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Mo

Post by Mo »

I’m sure Israel’s next election will have a different result than the last 3

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

So Israel makes a deal with the UAE that trades annexation of parts of the West Bank for official peace and normalization of relations. Trump is taking credit. I didn't see this coming at all. Does anyone who follows international relations more than me know if this is one of the cases of Trump's unorthodoxy and outsiderism actually helping, or is it just business that has been ongoing and finally a log jam in Israel and UAE broke internally to those nations and US involvement was more just long term stabilization work by State Department wonks than some outsider disruptionism from Trump kicking over all the ossified sandcastles within State?

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/isr ... eal-638524
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 11:31 So Israel makes a deal with the UAE that trades annexation of parts of the West Bank for official peace and normalization of relations. Trump is taking credit. I didn't see this coming at all. Does anyone who follows international relations more than me know if this is one of the cases of Trump's unorthodoxy and outsiderism actually helping, or is it just business that has been ongoing and finally a log jam in Israel and UAE broke internally to those nations and US involvement was more just long term stabilization work by State Department wonks than some outsider disruptionism from Trump kicking over all the ossified sandcastles within State?

Um. Just how does the UAE get the right to dispose of the West Bank? I suppose it would be too much to allow the Palestinians to have a say? According to google maps, the UAE doesn't have a border with Israel or the West Bank.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Shem

Post by Shem »

lunchstealer wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 11:31 So Israel makes a deal with the UAE that trades annexation of parts of the West Bank for official peace and normalization of relations. Trump is taking credit. I didn't see this coming at all. Does anyone who follows international relations more than me know if this is one of the cases of Trump's unorthodoxy and outsiderism actually helping, or is it just business that has been ongoing and finally a log jam in Israel and UAE broke internally to those nations and US involvement was more just long term stabilization work by State Department wonks than some outsider disruptionism from Trump kicking over all the ossified sandcastles within State?

Neither. This was all about Iran. They both hate Iran, they're both distant enough from each other to not actually give a fuck about the other one for any reasons other than playing up ideology to rubes, and this greases the skids so they can collaborate on attacking the common enemy.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Shem wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 11:57

Neither. This was all about Iran. They both hate Iran, they're both distant enough from each other to not actually give a fuck about the other one for any reasons other than playing up ideology to rubes, and this greases the skids so they can collaborate on attacking the common enemy.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that angle.

Of course, it also provides Trump a chance to parade himself as a 'peacemaker' to his fanbase.