the entirely civil and thoughtful israel thread

Jennifer

Re: the entirely civil and thoughtful israel thread

Post by Jennifer » 02 Jan 2017, 14:47

Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Rachel wrote:If anyone would like to see the totally sane and not crazy at all newsletter regarding the Antichrist, Jews being responsible for EVERYTHING, the end of the world, etc, I'll email it to you. It's too long to post here, but it was a full color, several page front and back thing that was mailed to my office with no return address.
Full color? I'm almost afraid to ask what illustrations it has. I'd like to think it includes a clearly delineated map showing the way to y'all's secret extinct-volcano hideout, but I've been disappointed so, so many times already....
Without the location of the volcano, the map is useless.

(This is the volcano that awakens from dormancy during the Battle of Armaggedon, isn't it?)
Hence the specification "clearly delineated." The (((people))) who actually attend meetings in this volcano hideout obviously know where it is -- the question is, when will the rest of humanity be allowed to share this knowledge?

There's no map in this document, though. Color me disappointed, not surprised.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 02 Jan 2017, 15:35

Kolohe wrote:
Rachel wrote:If anyone would like to see the totally sane and not crazy at all newsletter regarding the Antichrist, Jews being responsible for EVERYTHING, the end of the world, etc, I'll email it to you. It's too long to post here, but it was a full color, several page front and back thing that was mailed to my office with no return address.
Better than that flyer we found in Alexandria?
I would say it's better in the sense that it really connects the Jews to absolutely everything, except that that flyer emphasized the Jews controlled the Sun and planetary activity a little more.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 02 Jan 2017, 17:01

Rachel wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Better than that flyer we found in Alexandria?
I would say it's better in the sense that it really connects the Jews to absolutely everything, except that that flyer emphasized the Jews controlled the Sun and planetary activity a little more.
I'd just like to say, you (((guys))) did a shit job this past year. #getilluminatisshittogether2017
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 May 2017, 16:28

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Irony is dead.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 May 2017, 18:06

Sandy wrote:#getilluminatisshittogether2017
If I used twitter, I would grab that hashtag.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 May 2017, 10:31

Mo wrote::lol: ..... :lol:

Irony is dead.
Is this a recent thing I missed?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 May 2017, 11:20

Dangerman wrote:

Irony is dead.
Trump has been making noises about arranging a peace accord between the Israelis and Palestinians.

If Trump could pull that deal off, I might actually say something nice about him.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 May 2017, 13:08

Dangerman wrote:

Irony is dead.
The Israeli right despised Obama and openly supported Trump because they thought he would give them a free pass. Then, like most presidents in their last term, he decided that solving I-P would be a legacy burnishing accomplishment, so he's been making kissy faces at Abbas and telling Bibi to slow his roll on settlements. Due to political realities, no Israeli admin can give the bird to both political parties.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 May 2017, 16:26

Ah, what I missed was that there was a link in your post. derp.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 May 2017, 16:40

Dangerman wrote:Ah, what I missed was that there was a link in your post. derp.
Don't feel bad I did the same thing. Emojis aren't usually used for links.

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 May 2017, 16:51

Innovation!

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2018, 12:13

Nothing can possibly go wrong declaring yourself an ethno-religious state to the exclusion of a sizable national minority. Also, how do you amend a Constitution 62-55?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Jul 2018, 13:54

You know who else declared themselves an ethno-religious state...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jul 2018, 16:36

Andrew wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 13:54
You know who else declared themselves an ethno-religious state...
Alabama?

JD

Post by JD » 11 Oct 2018, 14:01

This story is kind of weird:
Lara Alqasem, a 22-year-old of Palestinian heritage from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, arrived in Israel on a student visa to attend Jerusalem's Hebrew University but never made it out of the airport after she was found to have ties to the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement, better known as BDS, her lawyer, Leora Bechor, said.
The ministry added that Alqasem is free to return to the United States anytime. Bechor said her client still hopes to attend the university
So...she's active in the Boycott Israel movement but wants to attend college there? It doesn't seem like Israel is mistaken about her involvement, exactly; did they think she was going to cause trouble while in Israel? Or (my suspicion) did she go to Israel knowing that they weren't going to let her in, just so she could get publicity about it?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Oct 2018, 14:16

A lot of college students are unclear about the meanings of words. I recently had a student ask me to confirm that the phrase "sum of all the residuals" means that we add up all of the residuals. (This was in a data analysis assignment.) He is a physics major who needed confirmation that computing a "sum" means that you add things.

So maybe she thinks a boycott involves boys and cheap sleeping arrangements.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Oct 2018, 14:36

JD wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 14:01
This story is kind of weird:
Lara Alqasem, a 22-year-old of Palestinian heritage from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, arrived in Israel on a student visa to attend Jerusalem's Hebrew University but never made it out of the airport after she was found to have ties to the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement, better known as BDS, her lawyer, Leora Bechor, said.
The ministry added that Alqasem is free to return to the United States anytime. Bechor said her client still hopes to attend the university
So...she's active in the Boycott Israel movement but wants to attend college there? It doesn't seem like Israel is mistaken about her involvement, exactly; did they think she was going to cause trouble while in Israel? Or (my suspicion) did she go to Israel knowing that they weren't going to let her in, just so she could get publicity about it?
In these situations, my default assumption is that the person is clueless.

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Oct 2018, 16:41

I'd assume this was a presumption of what happened due to being in bds and Palestinian and all that. It worked in terms of attention.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Oct 2018, 05:04

She claimed that she never participated in boycott campaigns in the past. So it was because she was part of a group that advocated for BDS. Not that the latter is dispositive of anything as every has joined a group where they don’t agree with 100% of what they advocate.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 12 Oct 2018, 11:57

"I joined the BDS group because we all got together on Thursdays, shouted at passers-by, and then went and got pizza."
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 12 Oct 2018, 14:41

Mo wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 05:04
She claimed that she never participated in boycott campaigns in the past. So it was because she was part of a group that advocated for BDS. Not that the latter is dispositive of anything as every has joined a group where they don’t agree with 100% of what they advocate.
For some reason my alumni association immediately comes to mind...
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Oct 2018, 15:10

Or you know she may've just joined a Palestinian Student Group group that had some BDS shit going on but that she was there for the falafel and learning more about fellow Palestinians, or even just had some friends who were part of it, and so she had 'ties' but no activism at all. I mean, it could be said that I have ties to the local pirate- and Klingon-enthusiast groups but I'm not into it beyond occasionally going to open bar parties with my friends who are into it.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Oct 2018, 16:22

Or you could join a local Palestinian group because you disagree with the current occupation and politics, but don’t think BDS is the right solution.

Haven’t conservatives been pushing the line that there was nothing wrong with opposing South Africa boycotts and opposing apartheid?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 Oct 2018, 16:33

I assume we're skipping over the explanation that she's interested in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict so she wants to study in the area even if that means doing so on the "wrong" side (even while doing so may give her a fresh perspective) because it's not plot-twisty enough and the audience will never sit through 13 episodes.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Oct 2018, 18:57

*shrug* Considering what we're doing to people right now who want nothing more than to take shitty jobs in this country and give their kids a better life? I can't bring myself to bemoan that someone discovered that some governments don't want to let in activists for their destruction.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem