The Trayvon Martin thread

D.A. Ridgely

Re: The Trayvon Martin thread

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

What sort of PhD program do you think he'll enter?

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:What sort of PhD program do you think he'll enter?
Intersectional ballistics.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Brain death is arguably a graduation requirement for certain PhD programs.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:What sort of PhD program do you think he'll enter?
It would be less than shocking if someone is currently working on an edited volume of essays on "Race in America" that is focused on Trayvon Martin and will eventually be offered as an "honorary dissertation" to justify a posthumous PhD.

I'll draw the line at a tenured professorship, however. We already have enough brain-dead faculty who can't teach.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:I'll draw the line at a tenured professorship, however. We already have enough brain-dead faculty who can't teach.
Oh? Are you sure that the brain-dead faculty is sufficiently diverse? And does it include both the dead and the undead? I am sure there are lots of zombies, but what about vampires? How many of the disembodied? Are ghouls fairly represented? I bet you don't have any resurrected on staff.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

dr_g

Post by dr_g »

GinSlinger wrote:
02 Apr 2012, 16:10
thoreau wrote:My understanding was that an "affirmative defense" effectively shifts the burden of proof (in some cases, in some jurisdictions) because you are essentially granting some of the prosecution's case to them. I would like clarification from the lawyers before I stand by, clarify, or rescind anything that I have said.
This language makes clear that the law provides a true immunity and not merely an affirmative defense. The Florida legislative session law notes demonstrate the true intent behind the new law stating; "The Legislature finds that it is proper for law-abiding people to protect themselves, their families, and others from intruders and attackers without fear of prosecution or civil action for acting in defense of themselves and others". Ch. 2005-27 at 200, Laws of Florida. See Peterson v State, 983 So. 2d 27 (Fla. 1 st DCA 2008)
http://www.hessingerlaw.com/Articles/Se ... d-Law.aspx

Seems a Google search can uncover it.
The source link is dead, but here is the one that opens up. - https://www.lvcriminaldefense.com/self- ... und-law-2/

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

dr_g wrote:
07 May 2019, 07:13
GinSlinger wrote:
thoreau wrote:My understanding was that an "affirmative defense" effectively shifts the burden of proof (in some cases, in some jurisdictions) because you are essentially granting some of the prosecution's case to them. I would like clarification from the lawyers before I stand by, clarify, or rescind anything that I have said.
This language makes clear that the law provides a true immunity and not merely an affirmative defense. The Florida legislative session law notes demonstrate the true intent behind the new law stating; "The Legislature finds that it is proper for law-abiding people to protect themselves, their families, and others from intruders and attackers without fear of prosecution or civil action for acting in defense of themselves and others". Ch. 2005-27 at 200, Laws of Florida. See Peterson v State, 983 So. 2d 27 (Fla. 1 st DCA 2008)

The source link is dead, but here is the one that opens up. - https://www.lvcriminaldefense.com/self- ... und-law-2/
Welcome, dr_g! Pull up a stump and join the conversation. You must have been looking way down the list to resurrect this oldie. (Please don't pull up any of the ones where I predicted Trump would lose big in 2016.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Aresen wrote:
07 May 2019, 10:10
dr_g wrote:
GinSlinger wrote:

Welcome, dr_g! Pull up a stump and join the conversation. You must have been looking way down the list to resurrect this oldie. (Please don't pull up any of the ones where I predicted Trump would lose big in 2016.)
Yes, welcome! That said: if you MUST revive any "Trump's gonna lose" threads, please revive Aresen's rather than mine.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dr_g wrote:
GinSlinger wrote:

Welcome aboard dr_g. Like many deep mines, grylliade.org contains hidden pockets of asphyxiating gas. I would suggest marking all forums as read and jumping in on our current conversations.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

I think that's excellent advice.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

George Zimmerman is suing Trayvon Martin's parents for $100 million.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/ ... ce=twitter
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jake

Post by Jake »

Jennifer wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 15:59

That'll make people think better of him, I'm sure.
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jake wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 15:59

That'll make people think better of him, I'm sure.
Amongst a certain demographic, yes it probably will.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Zimmerman should go hang out at Mar Lago, and we'll just trust that he'll use the good judgment that he's so well known for.
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 22:09
Zimmerman should go hang out at Mar Lago, and we'll just trust that he'll use the good judgment that he's so well known for.
He was acquitted, he doesn't need a pardon...

:oops: Sorry, I just remembered he wasn't charged with a Federal offense, so Donnie can't help.

:oops: :oops: Double oops! I mean, obviously you don't mean that Zimmerman could wind up fighting with Donnie for possession of a gun... :P

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I'm just saying that OJ is in Florida, Zimmerman is in Florida, and both of these guys have the sort of good judgment and great public image that Trump loves to surround himself with. I hope that they spend some time with him at Mar Lago and live up to their reputations.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

John McWhorter has gone Trayvon Truther.

--Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

As a general rule, I assume all activist documentaries called The Blahblah Hoax are trash.

In the dark recesses of my brain, I think we are in a moment where I don’t trust anyone about anything that has activist implications, and that includes conservatives telling their favorite story about media complicity in selling left oppression and left people who may think they can Make A Difference with a tweetable example of injustice.

I don’t think key facts about Zimmerman following Zmartin, Martin kicking his ass, and Zimmerman shooting are in dispute. Where the shoot was legal has everything to do with the moments of violence. You can’t hit someone with a brick for following you. You can hit someone with a brick if there are explicit conditions that made you fear for your life such as threats, display of weapon, and certainly aggressive action with a weapon.

You can’t shoot someone because they don’t answer your questions. You can’t shoot them because they told you to fuck off. If they swing at you you enter a gray area. If they hit you with a hard object, it may well be a self defense shoot.

Who was on the phone doesn’t really get at the facts that matter. The guy was acquitted. Which seems reasonable to me based on facts at hand but he shouldn’t have been following Martin in the first place, no hoax made him do that.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 08:44
The guy was acquitted. Which seems reasonable to me based on facts
I wouldn't put it that way. I'd say it's more 'the place you wind up under an "innocent until proven guilty" standard based on the lack of facts'.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Separate from questions about Zimmerman's actions, I share Jason's default about muckraking documentaries with conspiratorial titles. Normally that would be the end of the matter.

Three things give me pause:
1) I've read enough Radley Balko that I no longer rule out the possibility that a prosecutor called a witness to lie about a phone call that they weren't on.

2) When a topic is radioactive, sane people won't touch it. So you get crazy conspiratorial people touching it.

3) McWhorter is not crazy. If he considers this plausible that doesn't mean it's right, but it's no longer something to summarily dismiss.

My Bayesian prior is still that the girl on the witness stand was the girl on the phone, but this whole thing is weird.
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

My Bayesian prior is that Trayvon Martin's parents don't have $100 million.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 12:38
My Bayesian prior is that Trayvon Martin's parents don't have $100 million.
Oh, they probably got a big payout from Soros to set their kid up to get killed so Black Lives Matter would have a cause to demonstrate about. ("Now where did I leave my tin foil hat?")