Random news finds - eyeroll edition

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 10796
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Aug 2016, 21:01

thoreau wrote:
Kolohe wrote:So this is getting some tweets by people in the thinkfluence twit biz but it does seem like bullshit to me: http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-drill ... dN.twitter
I've seen other reports pointing out that the signal is at a frequency sometimes used by militaries. Either there's a massive transmitter at a distant star or a much more reasonably-sized transmitter on earth. Let's ask Occam...
Or just study it until you figure out which it is. Empiricism beats Occam, even when it substantiates Occam.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 12987
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Aresen » 29 Aug 2016, 21:08

Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Kolohe wrote:So this is getting some tweets by people in the thinkfluence twit biz but it does seem like bullshit to me: http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-drill ... dN.twitter
I've seen other reports pointing out that the signal is at a frequency sometimes used by militaries. Either there's a massive transmitter at a distant star or a much more reasonably-sized transmitter on earth. Let's ask Occam...
Or just study it until you figure out which it is. Empiricism beats Occam, even when it substantiates Occam.
What if it turns out to be Space Alien Military? :?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 12476
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Kolohe » 29 Aug 2016, 21:11

That's what the SpAM filter is for.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24184
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by thoreau » 29 Aug 2016, 21:14

Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Kolohe wrote:So this is getting some tweets by people in the thinkfluence twit biz but it does seem like bullshit to me: http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-drill ... dN.twitter
I've seen other reports pointing out that the signal is at a frequency sometimes used by militaries. Either there's a massive transmitter at a distant star or a much more reasonably-sized transmitter on earth. Let's ask Occam...
Or just study it until you figure out which it is. Empiricism beats Occam, even when it substantiates Occam.
Oh, sure, they should follow up on this. But I know which side I'm placing my bets on. And you can judge people by what sorts of stories they look at and say "Yeah, let's broadcast this!" and which ones they look at and say "OK, we should follow up, but let's not get everyone excited."

Also, a story that mentioned the possible military origin of the signal: http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/08/ ... like-star/
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 12987
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Aresen » 29 Aug 2016, 21:15

Kolohe wrote:That's what the SpAM filter is for.
*Bows in homage*
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 10796
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Aug 2016, 21:52

thoreau wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Kolohe wrote:So this is getting some tweets by people in the thinkfluence twit biz but it does seem like bullshit to me: http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-drill ... dN.twitter
I've seen other reports pointing out that the signal is at a frequency sometimes used by militaries. Either there's a massive transmitter at a distant star or a much more reasonably-sized transmitter on earth. Let's ask Occam...
Or just study it until you figure out which it is. Empiricism beats Occam, even when it substantiates Occam.
Oh, sure, they should follow up on this. But I know which side I'm placing my bets on. And you can judge people by what sorts of stories they look at and say "Yeah, let's broadcast this!" and which ones they look at and say "OK, we should follow up, but let's not get everyone excited."
You can judge people by any reaction to any story. It might even be right some of the time.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17378
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Aug 2016, 22:47

Is Dan Rather involved in this story?

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24184
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by thoreau » 29 Aug 2016, 22:54

Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Kolohe wrote:So this is getting some tweets by people in the thinkfluence twit biz but it does seem like bullshit to me: http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-drill ... dN.twitter
I've seen other reports pointing out that the signal is at a frequency sometimes used by militaries. Either there's a massive transmitter at a distant star or a much more reasonably-sized transmitter on earth. Let's ask Occam...
Or just study it until you figure out which it is. Empiricism beats Occam, even when it substantiates Occam.
Oh, sure, they should follow up on this. But I know which side I'm placing my bets on. And you can judge people by what sorts of stories they look at and say "Yeah, let's broadcast this!" and which ones they look at and say "OK, we should follow up, but let's not get everyone excited."
You can judge people by any reaction to any story. It might even be right some of the time.
I think it is reasonable to judge science journalists by whether they seek out independent experts to comment on whether there are other plausible explanations for the alleged finding.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 10796
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Aug 2016, 22:56

thoreau wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Kolohe wrote:So this is getting some tweets by people in the thinkfluence twit biz but it does seem like bullshit to me: http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-drill ... dN.twitter
I've seen other reports pointing out that the signal is at a frequency sometimes used by militaries. Either there's a massive transmitter at a distant star or a much more reasonably-sized transmitter on earth. Let's ask Occam...
Or just study it until you figure out which it is. Empiricism beats Occam, even when it substantiates Occam.
Oh, sure, they should follow up on this. But I know which side I'm placing my bets on. And you can judge people by what sorts of stories they look at and say "Yeah, let's broadcast this!" and which ones they look at and say "OK, we should follow up, but let's not get everyone excited."
You can judge people by any reaction to any story. It might even be right some of the time.
I think it is reasonable to judge science journalists by whether they seek out independent experts to comment on whether there are other plausible explanations for the alleged finding.
Oh, definitely, but come on. You could save time and just condemn science journos right off the bat, and you'd pretty much never be wrong. :D
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 20770
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Mo » 30 Aug 2016, 09:06

When I went in for my cleaning, the dental assistant asked me, "You're not going to be one of those people that gets into an argument about needing to floss are you?" I didn't even say anything about flossing yet, so I'm guessing lots of people do it right off the bat.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21467
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Warren » 30 Aug 2016, 09:22

Mo wrote:When I went in for my cleaning, the dental assistant asked me, "You're not going to be one of those people that gets into an argument about needing to floss are you?" I didn't even say anything about flossing yet, so I'm guessing lots of people do it right off the bat.
There are people that argue with the person sticking sharp implements in their mouth? Respect! I've gone along with dental assistants opinions of the cast of Jersey Shore.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 12987
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Aresen » 30 Aug 2016, 10:39

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:When I went in for my cleaning, the dental assistant asked me, "You're not going to be one of those people that gets into an argument about needing to floss are you?" I didn't even say anything about flossing yet, so I'm guessing lots of people do it right off the bat.
There are people that argue with the person sticking sharp implements in their mouth? Respect! I've gone along with dental assistants opinions of the cast of Jersey Shore.
It is difficult to argue with anyone when your mouth is full of metal things and the hand of the person holding them.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 7674
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Taktix® » 30 Aug 2016, 11:31

thoreau wrote:I think it is reasonable to judge science journalists by whether they seek out independent experts to comment on whether there are other plausible explanations for the alleged finding.
FTFY...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9301
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Sandy » 30 Aug 2016, 16:23

Muh NEOLIBERALISM!!!11!!ELEVENTY

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... media.html
Though it flew under the radar of the mainstream media, to those paying attention, the piece revealed a disturbing decline for what began in 2014 as a promising new media outlet—a transformation into a source for neoliberal, pro-corporate propaganda disguised as left wing punditry, just two years after its inception.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 20795
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by JasonL » 30 Aug 2016, 16:26

Another way of saying this is if you use numbers you are an enemy of the real left. There aren't numbers to support a national $15 minimum wage. Bernie's entire program ranged from mild to full retard if you look at numbers. You can't get a data driven case for a leftist agenda.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 12987
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Aresen » 30 Aug 2016, 16:40

Numbers are tools of the patriarchy or the capitalist oppressor class or something like that.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by JD » 30 Aug 2016, 17:28

Kolohe wrote:So this is getting some tweets by people in the thinkfluence twit biz but it does seem like bullshit to me: http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-drill ... dN.twitter
People who actually study SETI are largely unimpressed: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_t ... p?id=80193

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24184
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by thoreau » 30 Aug 2016, 17:36

There's a certain sense in which I think outlets like Vox push a very status quo mindset that masquerades as a mild contrarianism, and that annoys me, but that critique is just dumb.

What makes it so deliciously funny is that OF COURSE a website co-founded by Matt Yglesias would be utterly mainstream and utterly status quo while thinking of itself as contrarian. Anybody who thinks that Vox "changed" in any way is missing the point. Yglesias epitomizes the zeitgeist of center-left, educated, establishment types who want to appear contrarian without actually opposing anything that matters to anyone important in the mainstream.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 20795
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by JasonL » 30 Aug 2016, 21:09

I strongly support tweaks at the margin and think the data case for that approach is important. As such I support even irritating yglesian versions of data wonkery.

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17498
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by dbcooper » 30 Aug 2016, 21:14

thoreau wrote:There's a certain sense in which I think outlets like Vox push a very status quo mindset that masquerades as a mild contrarianism, and that annoys me, but that critique is just dumb.

What makes it so deliciously funny is that OF COURSE a website co-founded by Matt Yglesias would be utterly mainstream and utterly status quo while thinking of itself as contrarian. Anybody who thinks that Vox "changed" in any way is missing the point. Yglesias epitomizes the zeitgeist of center-left, educated, establishment types who want to appear contrarian without actually opposing anything that matters to anyone important in the mainstream.
Also, Ezra Klein has always been a lickspittle.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24184
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by thoreau » 31 Aug 2016, 11:38

More reason to not be excited about the alleged alien signal:

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/astronomer ... s-neither/

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 12987
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Aresen » 31 Aug 2016, 11:51

dbcooper wrote:
thoreau wrote:There's a certain sense in which I think outlets like Vox push a very status quo mindset that masquerades as a mild contrarianism, and that annoys me, but that critique is just dumb.

What makes it so deliciously funny is that OF COURSE a website co-founded by Matt Yglesias would be utterly mainstream and utterly status quo while thinking of itself as contrarian. Anybody who thinks that Vox "changed" in any way is missing the point. Yglesias epitomizes the zeitgeist of center-left, educated, establishment types who want to appear contrarian without actually opposing anything that matters to anyone important in the mainstream.
Also, Ezra Klein has always been a lickspittle.
'lickspittle' is a truly excellent word that has never caught on in the US and Canada for some reason.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17378
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 31 Aug 2016, 14:22

Aresen wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
thoreau wrote:There's a certain sense in which I think outlets like Vox push a very status quo mindset that masquerades as a mild contrarianism, and that annoys me, but that critique is just dumb.

What makes it so deliciously funny is that OF COURSE a website co-founded by Matt Yglesias would be utterly mainstream and utterly status quo while thinking of itself as contrarian. Anybody who thinks that Vox "changed" in any way is missing the point. Yglesias epitomizes the zeitgeist of center-left, educated, establishment types who want to appear contrarian without actually opposing anything that matters to anyone important in the mainstream.
Also, Ezra Klein has always been a lickspittle.
'lickspittle' is a truly excellent word that has never caught on in the US and Canada for some reason.
Because we don't teach it to our guttersnipes.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14407
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by dhex » 31 Aug 2016, 20:09

dbcooper wrote:
thoreau wrote:There's a certain sense in which I think outlets like Vox push a very status quo mindset that masquerades as a mild contrarianism, and that annoys me, but that critique is just dumb.

What makes it so deliciously funny is that OF COURSE a website co-founded by Matt Yglesias would be utterly mainstream and utterly status quo while thinking of itself as contrarian. Anybody who thinks that Vox "changed" in any way is missing the point. Yglesias epitomizes the zeitgeist of center-left, educated, establishment types who want to appear contrarian without actually opposing anything that matters to anyone important in the mainstream.
Also, Ezra Klein has always been a lickspittle.
+1 for sentiment

+2 for vocab choice
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11112
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by the innominate one » 26 Sep 2017, 10:39

Is it ok if I feel smugly superior to the idiots in this story, or will that cause them to re-elect Trump?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/maga ... .html?_r=0

Since it's illegal to require a test to vote, maybe we just should require a gullibility test to be allowed access to the internet. Like a theme park ride: must be this skeptical or more to ride the information superhighway.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dbcooper and 1 guest