Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Kolohe

Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Kolohe » 18 Mar 2012, 12:10

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... ivery-vans
Spencer Ackerman wrote:You'll recall that Pakistan is home to al-Qaida, a particularly fearsome version of the Taliban...
This is a really awful sentence by Ackerman, who should know better. (al-Qaida is not a 'version' of the Taliban, and in any case is not based in Pakistan. It was based in Afghanistan, and to the extent it still exists, is currently based in Yemen - Osama's last hiding place notwithstanding.)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Re: Random news finds - eyeroll edition

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2012, 12:24

"You'll recall that Pittsburgh is home to the Pittsburgh Steelers, a particularly fearsome version of the Washington Redskins..."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Mar 2012, 13:47

I'd argue it's worse than that, more like "You recall Washington is home of the Washington Redskins, a particularly fearsome version of the New York Yankees"
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2012, 14:36

Kolohe wrote:I'd argue it's worse than that, more like "You recall Washington is home of the Washington Redskins, a particularly fearsome version of the New York Yankees"
I don't know enough about football to get that reference, but I know enough to know they're three completely distinct teams.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Mar 2012, 14:42

Jennifer wrote:
Kolohe wrote:I'd argue it's worse than that, more like "You recall Washington is home of the Washington Redskins, a particularly fearsome version of the New York Yankees"
I don't know enough about football to get that reference, but I know enough to know they're three completely distinct teams.
Kolohe's version is completely different sports.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2012, 14:45

Highway wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Kolohe's version is completely different sports.
Ah, right.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 19 Mar 2012, 00:03

FWIW, I once saw someone on Charlie Rose, someone who was there and involved and all and wrote a book about it (thus getting on Charlie Rose), say that the two were one and the same. But that's the only person I've ever seen say that. (I certainly understand the ostensible differences that most everyone seems to recognize, so don't worry bout that.) So I don't know if Ackerman is subscribing to that or really just is being loose and sloppy and stupid in his thinking or writing. I would guess the latter if he's not even bothering to explain/admit that he's basing that on a decidedly minority view (which I believe the guy on CR admitted at least implicitly).
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Mar 2012, 01:29

FWIAW, Russia recognizes both as terrorist organizations.

While the US doesn't recognize the Afghani Taliban as terrorists (probably because there is no Taliban in Afghanistan since the US beat them in a war like ten years ago amirite?), they do recognize its opposite number in Pakistan.

I also have it on good authority that the Missouri Highway Patrol recognizes both the Taliban and al Qaida (along with PETA, the Ron Paul presidential campaign, and the Girl Scouts of America) as dangerous terrorist organizations.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Mar 2012, 06:27

At best, it's like saying the University of California is a particularly fearsome form of Cal Poly.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Mar 2012, 23:52

I don't understand the Mets-Madoff suit. The trustees claim:
The trustee, Irving H. Picard, had initially sought $1 billion, declaring that the owners had enriched themselves over many years of profitable investing with Mr. Madoff while ignoring repeated warnings that he might have been a fraud.
If it was so obvious that the Madoff scheme was a fraud, why the hell were the people trying to collect money from the trustees still involved?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Mar 2012, 22:15

That is so sick that I could not stop laughing.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 20 Mar 2012, 22:25

I question Dr. Pepper's marketing division's product placement choices.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Mar 2012, 22:30

If she showed any inkling that she understood that what she did was wrong, I'd say that she should be left alone to take a second chance at her life. But, you know, if she's going to continue to insist that it was all cool, to hell with her.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 Mar 2012, 22:35

thoreau wrote: ... to hell with her.
Fort Ashby, West Virginia or Hell? Tough call.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Mar 2012, 22:36

thoreau wrote:If she showed any inkling that she understood that what she did was wrong, I'd say that she should be left alone to take a second chance at her life. But, you know, if she's going to continue to insist that it was all cool, to hell with her.
You gotta admit, she does have the inside track on this year's "Good German" Award/
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Mar 2012, 22:41

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Mar 2012, 07:13

Well she confirms my biases about the US Army and military reservists. But the fact she can't get a job or a date goes against my biases about West Virginians.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 21 Mar 2012, 10:15

Kolohe wrote:Well she confirms my biases about the US Army and military reservists. But the fact she can't get a job or a date goes against my biases about West Virginians.
Maybe none of her cousins lives nearby.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Jun 2012, 00:42

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jun 2012, 19:55

Aresen wrote:A fire destroyed a church in Juarez but 'spared' the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe.

Get set for a round of intense miracle-mongering.
It proves that God and I have something in common: we both like paintings but have no use for churches.

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Jun 2012, 20:08

thoreau wrote:If she showed any inkling that she understood that what she did was wrong, I'd say that she should be left alone to take a second chance at her life. But, you know, if she's going to continue to insist that it was all cool, to hell with her.
The world is full of ignorant yahoos. The problem with Lynndie England isn't Lynndie England. It's the piece of shits that said "Hey Lynndie, we got a little job for you".
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 20 Jun 2012, 20:18

Jennifer wrote:
Aresen wrote:A fire destroyed a church in Juarez but 'spared' the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe.

Get set for a round of intense miracle-mongering.
It proves that God and I have something in common: we both like paintings but have no use for churches.
Hah!
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Jun 2012, 20:25

Warren wrote:
The world is full of ignorant yahoos. The problem with Lynndie England isn't Lynndie England. It's the piece of shits that said "Hey Lynndie, we got a little job for you".
The pieces of shit that gave her a job are also a problem. There are multiple problematic people here. All of them deserve our scorn.

I'm inclined to forgive the low men and women on the totem pole if they understand why they did something wrong, and show some indication that they won't go around seeking sympathy for their devilish behavior. But if they think that what they did was cool? Fuck 'em.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Jun 2012, 00:00

thoreau wrote:
Warren wrote:
The pieces of shit that gave her a job are also a problem. There are multiple problematic people here. All of them deserve our scorn.

I'm inclined to forgive the low men and women on the totem pole if they understand why they did something wrong, and show some indication that they won't go around seeking sympathy for their devilish behavior. But if they think that what they did was cool? Fuck 'em.
I'm not saying she should be forgiven.* I'm saying I'm not interested in peering into the heart and mind of Lynndie England. That's between her and her deity of choice. What concerns me is that the "few bad apples" story held water. The consequences to our national security and reputation are ongoing and the forces that drove those in power then are still at work. It is in the complete lack of accountability for those that set policy that demands my attention.

*As a strictly accademic aside, I note that having contempt for and dehumanizing the enemy is actually a pretty basic, one might even say essential, mindset for a boots-on-the-ground soldier. (When so many were Shocked! Shocked! at that picture of marines urinating on a corpse, I was saying "you send young men to foreign lands to kill the natives, this is what you get") Not that Lynndie was in combat. Though she was of low rank and in country. Should she in retrospect be able to look back with the distance of time and understand out of basic human decency the morally culpable nature of her acts? Yes, I agree she should. However, I suspect she may simply be unable to.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer