The Techno-Bleg Thread

Highway

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Highway » 02 Nov 2017, 11:17

I went ahead and bought the ones Painboy suggested. They look good and have my preferred behind the neck style. Now we'll see how they work.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 Nov 2017, 12:19

Has anyone using Windows 7 through 10 trying to establish a broadband connection had to deal with an Error 651 problem and actually fixed it?

I know it's a problem with the computer, not with the router/modem or the ISP itself. I've watched various YouTube fixit videos and read various fixit sites and tried most of the intelligible instructions. No dice. The last one I could understand and attempt was to swap out a driver with a downloaded fresh copy. Problem is that no matter how hard I tried to give myself permission to replace the driver, I couldn't do it. I've changed permissions before with no problem, but not this time.

Suggestions?

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Nov 2017, 12:49

Are you using the administrator account on the computer? I think in those versions of Windows, even if your secondary account has "administrator" privileges, there are still some things that can't be done except by the primary administrator account.

Is it on Win7 or Win10?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 Nov 2017, 13:11

Highway wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 12:49
Are you using the administrator account on the computer? I think in those versions of Windows, even if your secondary account has "administrator" privileges, there are still some things that can't be done except by the primary administrator account.

Is it on Win7 or Win10?
Win7. As far as I know, my user account is a / the administrator account. I can usually do things like "run as administrator" from a drop down list. But I can't say for sure I know or even understand. I mean, it's only on my computer, I'm the only user.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Nov 2017, 13:27

Just because you are a administrator doesn't mean you have administrator powers (primarily for security reasons). You have to log in as the system's administrator.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 Nov 2017, 13:42

Okay, I'm obviously missing something here, but there is only one account, "D.A. Ridgely, Administrator," which is how I automatically log in every time the computer is started.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Nov 2017, 13:44

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 10 Nov 2017, 13:48

Thanks. I have a similar situation to DA and have never been able to reinstall any drivers.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Nov 2017, 14:09

If you just used Linux, you wouldn't have this problem!

(You'd have other, more, and more confusing problems. But you definitely wouldn't have this exact problem).

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 10 Nov 2017, 14:15

Jadagul wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 14:09

(You'd have other, more, and more confusing problems. But you definitely wouldn't have this exact problem).
You'd have problems because you're using one distro and all teh docs you can find are for some other distro and things aren't exactly the same...

Yeah, Linux is a hobby, not an operating system.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Nov 2017, 14:16

Jadagul wrote:

I installed linux on an old computer once about 15 years ago, because "all my internet friends were doing it." I booted it up, got it to a desktop, and then said "Well, that's cool." and never turned it on again.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 Nov 2017, 14:35

Thanks, Mo. That's a help but, alas, now when I try to modify the file logged in as Administrator, I'm told I need permission from, um, my original user account. Honestly, this is driving me crazy.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 Nov 2017, 14:36

Jadagul wrote:

If I had some bacon, I could have bacon and eggs, if I had some eggs.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 Nov 2017, 16:00

UPDATE: Finally figured out how to become the owner so I could give myself permission to change the file. Did so. Still Error 651. Anyway, thanks again, Mo.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Nov 2017, 17:27

Highway wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 14:16
Jadagul wrote:

I installed linux on an old computer once about 15 years ago, because "all my internet friends were doing it." I booted it up, got it to a desktop, and then said "Well, that's cool." and never turned it on again.
I actually do use Linux on my main computer, and I find it a lot more comfortable than Windows in a few ways. (Primarily less bloat).

But it does sometimes have bizarre errors, and yes, it is a hobby. And it's not something I seriously recommend to people who aren't already deep into computer nerdery.

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Nov 2017, 23:33

Can someone with graphical artist skills combine these two images.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » Today, 18:48

If Linux users are so efficient and clever, why don't they say "I run a Linux OS, $DISTRONAME," instead of saying "I run Linux" and precipitating the same conversation over and over again?
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 minutes ago

A lot of conversations around here make a lot more sense when I have ghostery and my script killer turned off. Apparently that combo is perfect at blocking any embedded tweet and also not showing any sort of gap that might indicate something was there.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 1 minute ago

Mo wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 23:33
Can someone with graphical artist skills combine these two images.

Did anyone help you with this?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » less than a minute ago

Andrew wrote:
22 minutes ago
A lot of conversations around here make a lot more sense when I have ghostery and my script killer turned off. Apparently that combo is perfect at blocking any embedded tweet and also not showing any sort of gap that might indicate something was there.
This is a twitter forum now.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.