The Techno-Bleg Thread

JD

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by JD » 31 Oct 2016, 13:58

Mo wrote:So (seemingly) half the internet because of the DDOS attack on Dyn. Can someone (JD?) help explain why these firms couldn't simply have a back DNS provider to be able to work around these issues?
It is possible to have backup or failover DNS services, but the very way DNS is designed creates some chokepoints. Long story short, when you want to look up something like "www.twitter.com", your computer has to find out, via a recursive process of asking questions and following the answers, what nameservers provide information for twitter.com. Those nameservers can then be attacked.

You could add more nameservers, but
a) those could just be attacked too: some of the botnets used for attacks now are really massive, and there are various techniques that permit an attacker to punch above his weight, so to speak. And more importantly

b) everything in DNS gets cached for a while. This is actually critically important to how DNS normally functions, because if every component of DNS had to look up every single thing it needs afresh every time, it would be a lot slower and less reliable. So every answer in DNS has a cache "lifetime" attached to it, during which it's assumed to remain valid. If you make changes to how DNS for your site is configured, those changes aren't going to be seen until the cached answer expires. If that cache lifetime was four days (which is pretty standard) nobody is going to see your changes for possibly as much as four days from now. This makes DNS much more efficient, but it also makes rapid changes really difficult.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Nov 2016, 15:53

Painboy wrote:I need to setup a cheap forum for like 5 or 6 people at most. Is there anything out there that's easy to use and ideally free or at least inexpensive?
What's the general use case? Will people be posting long things, short chatter, etc.? Because for stuff that's mostly shorter chatter (RPGs, fan discussions, link-dropping), I've seen some good use of Discord's persistent text chat.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 Nov 2016, 16:01

Eric the .5b wrote:
Painboy wrote:I need to setup a cheap forum for like 5 or 6 people at most. Is there anything out there that's easy to use and ideally free or at least inexpensive?
What's the general use case? Will people be posting long things, short chatter, etc.? Because for stuff that's mostly shorter chatter (RPGs, fan discussions, link-dropping), I've seen some good use of Discord's persistent text chat.
Very much a bulletin board. Posting stuff for group reference and with possible commentary. Mostly so people aren't forced to scroll through weeks of chat to find certain links and the like.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Nov 2016, 16:15

Painboy wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Very much a bulletin board. Posting stuff for group reference and with possible commentary. Mostly so people aren't forced to scroll through weeks of chat to find certain links and the like.
Yeah, that sounds like a bulletin board use.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Nov 2016, 18:08

So... ergonomic keyboards.

Are they still a thing? And if so, does anyone want to recommend one that works?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 03 Nov 2016, 14:50

So, related:

A few friends and I just split from our gaming group (Malicious Intent) and started our own forum and Teamspeak Server at shark.cafe.

We use phpBB just like Grylliade and it's perfect for us, at about 10 regular users. Good plugins for chatboxes etc.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Nov 2016, 17:08

OK, I just received an email from a sender 'nden'.

The title was 50929 Aresen. There was also an attachment.

Since I do not know who 'nden' is, I assume that something with my email name with a number attached is some sort of spam or malware. Accordingly, I double deleted it without opening it.

Is anyone familiar with any scams in this format?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Nov 2016, 18:05

Aresen wrote:OK, I just received an email from a sender 'nden'.

The title was 50929 Aresen. There was also an attachment.

Since I do not know who 'nden' is, I assume that something with my email name with a number attached is some sort of spam or malware. Accordingly, I double deleted it without opening it.

Is anyone familiar with any scams in this format?
Yeah it'd easy enough to do with variable fields in mass mailer progs.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Nov 2016, 19:48

If you don't know positively who sent it and that you want to read it, it's either spam or malware and you shouldn't open it, or even preview it (turn the preview window in your email client off, because even that can execute malicious scripts).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Nov 2016, 22:27

Highway wrote:If you don't know positively who sent it and that you want to read it, it's either spam or malware and you shouldn't open it, or even preview it (turn the preview window in your email client off, because even that can execute malicious scripts).
That's my general rule. I have heard about the perils of opening or reading unsolicted emails, and that's why I double deleted this one.

To clarify my original post a bit, I was wondering if any of you had heard of a specific scam where the subject line was the email user name plus a number?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Nov 2016, 00:07

Aresen wrote:
Highway wrote:If you don't know positively who sent it and that you want to read it, it's either spam or malware and you shouldn't open it, or even preview it (turn the preview window in your email client off, because even that can execute malicious scripts).
That's my general rule. I have heard about the perils of opening or reading unsolicted emails, and that's why I double deleted this one.

To clarify my original post a bit, I was wondering if any of you had heard of a specific scam where the subject line was the email user name plus a number?
It's not really a scam, it's more a general malware spreading tactic, I think.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Dec 2016, 11:45

I want to start using Photoshop to edit and clean up my hiking photos. Which version should I get? Right now, all my images are jpgs from a point and shoot camera, although I'm looking at getting something like a Sony RX100 with raw shooting capabilities before my next long hike.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Dec 2016, 11:47

What do you want to do to them? Photoshop is very often overkill with the proliferation of lightweight (and free) alternatives out there. That said, PS is all cloud now man.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Dec 2016, 11:50

lightroom is probably best for you. i think it's 10 bucks a month now.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Dec 2016, 11:51

Yeah, it really matters more what you want to do with stuff, and you can probably do whatever processing you want to do with other software. For batch resizing and resampling, I use Irfanview, and for doing more with image composition or content, I use GIMP.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Dec 2016, 12:33

Highway wrote:Yeah, it really matters more what you want to do with stuff, and you can probably do whatever processing you want to do with other software. For batch resizing and resampling, I use Irfanview, and for doing more with image composition or content, I use GIMP.
We thought you were normal for a guy into anime, but it turns out you keep a photography/sex slave!
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Dec 2016, 12:39

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Highway wrote:Yeah, it really matters more what you want to do with stuff, and you can probably do whatever processing you want to do with other software. For batch resizing and resampling, I use Irfanview, and for doing more with image composition or content, I use GIMP.
We thought you were normal for a guy into anime, but it turns out you keep a photography/sex slave!
Yeah, but I'm not very good at using it. ;)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Dec 2016, 14:45

Thank you for the input, everyone.

So, here's an example picture from my last hiking trip (completely untouched jpg). Because my pics are taken while hiking, the lighting is dependent on when I get there. This would probably be a great shot at sunset on a day with good weather. I was there at 1 p.m. because I still had 12 miles to hike with a full pack, and it's hazy due to huge wildfires to the south.

I'm not trying to make it look like the aggressively unreal screensaver outdoor pictures that are everywhere, but I would like to clean it up a bit for showing to family. Cropping it to a 16:9 ratio and focusing it on the major peaks and trees helps, but the peaks are still hazy and washed out. If I mess with the colors in GIMP, I can get the trees to a vibrant green, but it tends to make the peaks very blue. If the solution is "suck it up and spend 20 hours getting familiar with GIMP," then I can do that, but if it's easier to accomplish things with Lightroom, then $10 a month is something I'd consider.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Dec 2016, 15:37

Give picmonkey a try. Most of its basic effects are free, and it's pretty easy to use/figure out. I do a lot of simple image processing there and I have yet to run up against anything that it can't do without the premium functions.

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, I'm sure there is a selection of cheapware photo correction apps for your operating system. There's a ton on the Apple app store that do more or less what you want for a one-time cost of five bucks or less.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Jan 2017, 10:34

Does anybody know what to call the tinier version of the 3.5mm audio cable connector? It looks exactly like the 3.5 but slimmer.

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Jan 2017, 11:29

It's a "2.5mm phone connector", also known as a 2.5mm plug.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Jan 2017, 11:37

Highway wrote:It's a "2.5mm phone connector", also known as a 2.5mm plug.
Perfect. Muchas gracias.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Jan 2017, 10:58

Trying to decipher/weigh the features among high-end point-and-shoot cameras is impossible. I want it for hiking, which filters out many as being too big, but that still leaves quite a few solid options.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Jan 2017, 20:54

Can you just get lens attachments for your phone? It will definitely be less cumbersome, and might be sufficient for your needs.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Jan 2017, 21:06

Hugh Akston wrote:Can you just get lens attachments for your phone? It will definitely be less cumbersome, and might be sufficient for your needs.
Well, I've been using a Panasonic Lumix ZS15 for the past 4 years. It's worked pretty well and I have a great case for it. However, it has its limitations, and the mega zoom isn't all that needed for landscape stuff. I was thinking a point and shoot with a bigger sensor (or a huge sensor, like the Ricoh GR II) would be a good improvement (and most would still fit in the case I have). I don't know that a lens attachment for a phone really gets me there.