The Techno-Bleg Thread

tr0g

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by tr0g » 25 Aug 2016, 18:28

I have a number of domains that are mostly unused except for email. All of the email forwards into one or two main accounts that are hosted elsewhere. There are no email accounts per se, they're all forwards. Using yahoo's web interface, we can go and send reply emails from the forwarding accounts, but as near as I can tell, that's impossible in Outlook. I'd really like to dump all the emails into Outlook and be able to reply from the correct email account. It appears Outlook will only send out through a server where you have a login/pwd and none of the forward accounts are set up like this. There's some workarounds, like continue to use yahoo's shit webmail interface or move all the domains (at least for email) to Microsoft and recreate the forwarding account as aliases.

I've been fucking around with this all day and I don't think there's a solution, but I'm gonna ask y'all before I start harassing my DNS support people (who are by and large worthless).
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 26 Aug 2016, 13:55

So, after digging into email headers and everything else, it appears that this works on Yahoo because Yahoo is more or less saying 'fuck it, you authenticated the account, it's yours' and filling out the header info appropriately, which no desktop client under Windows is going to do or let you do.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 18 Sep 2016, 11:44

So, due to Dell sending me lots of promotions, I can get this monitor for just under 300, which seems like a pretty good deal. Any thoughts from the hive mind?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 18 Sep 2016, 16:34

Sounds like a deal.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Sep 2016, 18:49

tr0g wrote:So, due to Dell sending me lots of promotions, I can get this monitor for just under 300, which seems like a pretty good deal. Any thoughts from the hive mind?
dell may be crap at actual computers, but their monitors (on sale) are pretty choice.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Sep 2016, 11:33

I'm seeing that the AMD RX480 has power draw issues - like it's drawing way over the spec 150W.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/ ... statement/
"Last week, AMD released its budget-minded RX 480 graphics card to largely critical acclaim. Unfortunately, the positive reception has been overshadowed by reports that the RX 480 exceeds its 150W target TDP. Furthermore, that extra power draw seems to be coming from the PCIe bus, with the card pulling as much as 90W from its PCIe slot, far exceeding the specified 75W maximum and potentially causing stability issues with certain motherboards."

Grr the Asus STRIX one is out and that's what I was going to grab.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Sep 2016, 11:56

I think they released a new BIOS that fixed that issue.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Sep 2016, 13:52

Sweet. For some reason the complaints were top of google but resolution was not. There's probably something something modern society and internet in there somewhere.

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Sep 2016, 14:15

volume of new stories posted on bug versus volume of new stories posted on fix. plus THIS MIGHT KILL YOUR PC is always more grab-worthy than THIS WON'T KILL YOUR PC ANYMORE
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Sep 2016, 17:44

JasonL wrote:Sweet. For some reason the complaints were top of google but resolution was not. There's probably something something modern society and internet in there somewhere.
The MSI is the best one.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Sep 2016, 17:49

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Sep 2016, 18:56

routers. old one is now seven years old and acting weird all the time.

any recommendations? ac good? range and speed a plus, flexibility for multiple connections also a plus.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 Sep 2016, 19:10

Haven't had any problems with my Netgear modem-router, but I have nothing to compare it to except the piece of shit AT&T provided.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Sep 2016, 20:48

Hey PCI 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.1 slots ... right?

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 20 Sep 2016, 22:12

dhex wrote:routers. old one is now seven years old and acting weird all the time.

any recommendations? ac good? range and speed a plus, flexibility for multiple connections also a plus.
Just got this thing. Seems to work pretty well. Good range, at least compared to our last one. Easy to setup. LED lights are crazy bright though. Haven't looked into seeing if they can be dimmed.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 20 Sep 2016, 22:13

JasonL wrote:Hey PCI 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.1 slots ... right?
Yes, but the card might not perform at it's optimal level. Probably not an issue though.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Sep 2016, 08:41

I think wirecutter currently likes the TP Link Archer series at whatever price point you like but especially the C7. I have had a good experience with the Asus RT series but that's the pre AC version.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Sep 2016, 08:41

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Oct 2016, 17:47

It's an annoying design flaw on my laptop that both USB 3.0 ports are next to each other, and they're too close to use both at the same time.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Oct 2016, 17:56

Andrew wrote:It's an annoying design flaw on my laptop that both USB 3.0 ports are next to each other, and they're too close to use both at the same time.
Are they too close for the minimum style plug? Or for something like two shaped thumb drives? If it's the first, it's hard to believe someone would do that (although possible), but if it's just the second, that the plugs you have don't fit, then you could try some short extension cables with small plugs. Or even get a couple cheap ones and shave off some of the plastic so they fit together.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 21 Oct 2016, 11:29

So, AT&T has come and set up my gateway in one room. I need to network a bunch of stuff in another room, and need wired ethernet in there because the hardware does not have wireless capability. I don't want to wire this house for cat5, because fuck the landlord and the work. So a wireless router should be the answer here, right? Turn off DHCP on the secondary router and have it connect to the gateway as an access point, then run my wired devices off it?

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Oct 2016, 12:48

You would probably need to put the second router / WAP into Bridge Mode, rather than just turning off NAT. Look for instructions on the web for your particular router / WAP, or if you're buying one, look for one people recommend for that purpose.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Oct 2016, 13:41

So (seemingly) half the internet because of the DDOS attack on Dyn. Can someone (JD?) help explain why these firms couldn't simply have a back DNS provider to be able to work around these issues?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 31 Oct 2016, 02:40

I need to setup a cheap forum for like 5 or 6 people at most. Is there anything out there that's easy to use and ideally free or at least inexpensive?

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 31 Oct 2016, 10:27

Painboy wrote:I need to setup a cheap forum for like 5 or 6 people at most. Is there anything out there that's easy to use and ideally free or at least inexpensive?
You could do something like this:

https://www.digitalocean.com/products/o ... ps/drupal/
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren