The Techno-Bleg Thread

dbcooper

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by dbcooper » 07 May 2017, 21:39

Is that a .log file or a .cue file? If it's the cue file you can use a text editor (notepad etc) to change Wes Montgomery - Jazz 'Round Midnight.wav to Wes Montgomery - Jazz 'Round Midnight.flac

Hopefully that will work.

I think that EAC copies the CD as a wav file and then converts it too FLAC. I see a lot of .wav file references in .cue files I've downloaded as part of album torrents.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 May 2017, 21:42

dbcooper wrote:Is that a .log file or a .cue file? If it's the cue file you can use a text editor (notepad etc) to change Wes Montgomery - Jazz 'Round Midnight.wav to Wes Montgomery - Jazz 'Round Midnight.flac

Hopefully that will work.

I think that EAC copies the CD as a wav file and then converts it too FLAC. I see a lot of .wav file references in .cue files I've downloaded as part of album torrents.
I'll try that.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 May 2017, 21:58

SONOFABITCH, it worked! Thank you!

Why? Why WAV files? Who the fuck uses them anymore?

So, not your problem, but I took the separate FLAC files and reconverted them to Apple Lossless because I'm lazy and have been using iTunes for since forever. However, looking at the bitrate for these files, they're quite low for lossless, like somewhere around 600 kbps. Which leads me to believe that they're not so lossless after all. Maybe lost in the conversions? *sigh*

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 May 2017, 22:03

Cool. :)

I'm not sure why the FLAC encoder has different compression levels, but it's probably because the lower the bitrate (higher the compression ratio) the longer encoding takes. CPU load on playback might be higher too. They're definitely lossless though.

As to wav files, they're just raw PCM data stored in a specific format, so EAC copies the PCM data from the CD to that file format. It then converts it to whatever you specify, but there must be something you need to specify for the cue file to use the conversion destination file. I split mine directly with EAC, so haven't dealt with it before.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 May 2017, 22:05

BTW, sounds like the AACS 2.0 DRM protection of Ultra HD Blu-ray discs has been cracked or circumvented in some way.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 May 2017, 22:08

dbcooper wrote:BTW, sounds like the AACS 2.0 DRM protection of Ultra HD Blu-ray discs has been cracked or circumvented in some way.
Thus it has ever been, thus we hope it shall ever be!

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Jun 2017, 20:52

Laptop keyboard keys start to stick or only work after repeated presses. We've tried compressed air around the keyboard without removing the case and that worked after a fashion for a while but the problem is recurring. Should I take off the case and blast around the keyboard with compressed air or is that likely to do more harm than good? Suggestions?

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Jun 2017, 20:57

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Laptop keyboard keys start to stick or only work after repeated presses. We've tried compressed air around the keyboard without removing the case and that worked after a fashion for a while but the problem is recurring. Should I take off the case and blast around the keyboard with compressed air or is that likely to do more harm than good? Suggestions?
I'm going to guess bad connections under the membrane, rather than something you can fix. By "stick", do you mean that the OS thinks that it's being held down, or is the key cap physically stuck down, like it would be ok if you pulled it up? If it's the latter, then it might be something you could deal with if you took it apart, since it's probably something jamming it up. But if it's the former, then it's probably not too fixable without significant repair.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Jun 2017, 21:00

Highway wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:Laptop keyboard keys start to stick or only work after repeated presses. We've tried compressed air around the keyboard without removing the case and that worked after a fashion for a while but the problem is recurring. Should I take off the case and blast around the keyboard with compressed air or is that likely to do more harm than good? Suggestions?
I'm going to guess bad connections under the membrane, rather than something you can fix. By "stick", do you mean that the OS thinks that it's being held down, or is the key cap physically stuck down, like it would be ok if you pulled it up? If it's the latter, then it might be something you could deal with if you took it apart, since it's probably something jamming it up. But if it's the former, then it's probably not too fixable without significant repair.
Translating my son's explanation, it's that you have to hit, say, the A key a number of times before it registers.

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Jun 2017, 21:00

That's the "former", so sounds like bad contacts below the membrane.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Jun 2017, 21:05

Highway wrote:That's the "former", so sounds like bad contacts below the membrane.
Hmmm. Okay, thanks.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Jun 2017, 08:07

Probably needs replacement. Laptop keys are either butterfly springs or membrane, and neither can be cleaned or restored easily.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 06 Jun 2017, 13:18

I need to clone my OS drive in my laptop since it is too small (128 GB SSD). Anybody got any recommendations on software for that?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 07 Jun 2017, 10:33

tr0g wrote:I need to clone my OS drive in my laptop since it is too small (128 GB SSD). Anybody got any recommendations on software for that?
It looks like there are a bunch of freeware apps that do that, but no strong contenders. The last time I cloned a drive I used Ghostery, and that was probably 7-8 years ago so not helpful.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 07 Jun 2017, 10:34

Would my new desktop speakers suffer from being turned 90 degrees to rest on their sides? I'm going to be using foam isolation blocks under them...

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Jun 2017, 10:42

Dangerman wrote:Would my new desktop speakers suffer from being turned 90 degrees to rest on their sides? I'm going to be using foam isolation blocks under them...
No, that's probably not an issue. The speakers themselves won't have any problem, especially those direct driver ones you got. One thing that it might do is change the sound (slightly, maybe noticeably) because it changes the relative position to your ears.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 07 Jun 2017, 10:47

Cool thanks!

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Jun 2017, 10:57

You might have very slightly better results with the tweeters outside. Bass isn't very directional; audible stereo separation comes from the mid to upper frequencies.

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Jun 2017, 11:34

D.A. Ridgely wrote:You might have very slightly better results with the tweeters outside. Bass isn't very directional; audible stereo separation comes from the mid to upper frequencies.
This depends a lot on his range to the speakers. If he's close in, then he may not get enough dispersion from the tweeters to get good sound if they're farther apart. It's one of those "move them around and see what you like" things.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Jul 2017, 20:50

Anyone got any recs for wiki software for small teams?

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 23 Jul 2017, 18:45

dbcooper wrote:Anyone got any recs for wiki software for small teams?
Do you need issue tracking as well? If so, stuff like Assembla and Jira have fairly functional wikis. Otherwise, maybe try the newer BaseCamp?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Jul 2017, 18:56

Sandy wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:45
dbcooper wrote:Anyone got any recs for wiki software for small teams?
Do you need issue tracking as well? If so, stuff like Assembla and Jira have fairly functional wikis. Otherwise, maybe try the newer BaseCamp?
Thanks. Integration with Slack is probably a requirement.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 23 Jul 2017, 19:07

Jira integrates with HipChat. Not sure if they have much for Slack. I think maybe some others do, but if you start googling for "Jira competitor " you'll find them all.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Jul 2017, 19:11

Cheers.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 25 Jul 2017, 10:29

JIRA can interact with Slack. My last job had it where every bug that was entered into JIRA would appear in a certain Slack channel.