JasonL

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by JasonL » 06 Jan 2018, 22:30

This will be our first win 10 machine

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Jan 2018, 22:59

Windows key + x is your friend.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2018, 00:19

WTF!? Why does every single piece of freeware I try to install not install?
I've tried installing three different Android Emulators and logmeonce, all of them shit the bed.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 Jan 2018, 10:28

Warren wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 00:19
I've tried installing three different Android Emulators and logmeonce, all of them shit the bed.
I use Nox for Android emulation without a problem. Did you try that?

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2018, 10:57

Painboy wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 10:28
Warren wrote:
AAAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!
FUCKSHITGODDAMNITFUCKINGSHITSHITSHIT

Same shit. It installs almost all the way but gets to 99% and then a Failure to Start popup. This time with helpful link on what to do about it. AHA!
But the link is all about getting you mac to allow the install of "unknown developer" by going into the security preferences and clicking "Open Anyway", which I already knew about and have been doing. But that's got to be it somehow. High Sierra is preventing apps from getting internet access and such. There's got to be a bit somewhere that needs to be set/reset.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 Jan 2018, 11:08

So you're on a Mac? Unfortunately I can't help you with that all that much. Like you mentioned there is some kind of developer settings that you can enable. I had to do that all the time when I was using various test builds on Apple hardware. Not sure why what you did wouldn't work though.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Jan 2018, 12:28

Warren wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 10:57
Painboy wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 10:28
Warren wrote:
AAAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!
FUCKSHITGODDAMNITFUCKINGSHITSHITSHIT

Same shit. It installs almost all the way but gets to 99% and then a Failure to Start popup. This time with helpful link on what to do about it. AHA!
But the link is all about getting you mac to allow the install of "unknown developer" by going into the security preferences and clicking "Open Anyway", which I already knew about and have been doing. But that's got to be it somehow. High Sierra is preventing apps from getting internet access and such. There's got to be a bit somewhere that needs to be set/reset.
Oh shoot. I have run into a thing kind of like this, and it could be that it's a write-permission problem in the applications directory. But it was a year or two ago, and I don't recall any particulars whatsoever.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Feb 2018, 20:38

I have a 5.1 setup but I currently can't setup the rear surround speakers. Is there a way for me to set it up in a 3.1 configuration? I have a decent receiver but it doesn't list anything about that kind of setup. If I just set it up as is in a 5.1 mode I'm not going to get all the sound info since it would trying to pump sound where there aren't any speakers. Anyone know of a way to do this?

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Feb 2018, 21:14

If the receiver doesn't have that setup, then there's not really anything you can do about it. You could stack the rears and the fronts and run it as 5.1, and just live with that? Can I ask the reason you can't set up the rears? Lack of space? It might be the kind of thing that doesn't matter that much, since they aren't particularly musical tracks, so you could just put them on the floor next to the couch or something.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Feb 2018, 21:34

Highway wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 21:14
If the receiver doesn't have that setup, then there's not really anything you can do about it. You could stack the rears and the fronts and run it as 5.1, and just live with that? Can I ask the reason you can't set up the rears? Lack of space? It might be the kind of thing that doesn't matter that much, since they aren't particularly musical tracks, so you could just put them on the floor next to the couch or something.
I don't want to run the speaker wire right now. The room is kind of small for the speakers anyway.

I did some googling around myself and there are some who are saying that if the speakers aren't hooked up to the receiver it won't route stuff to them and will send the info to whatever speakers are hooked up. That sounds strange to me though.

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Feb 2018, 21:57

Painboy wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 21:34
Highway wrote:
I don't want to run the speaker wire right now. The room is kind of small for the speakers anyway.

I did some googling around myself and there are some who are saying that if the speakers aren't hooked up to the receiver it won't route stuff to them and will send the info to whatever speakers are hooked up. That sounds strange to me though.
Yeah, that sounds like total BS.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Feb 2018, 20:56

Highway wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 21:57
Painboy wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 21:34
Highway wrote:

Yeah, that sounds like total BS.
I figured out what people were talking about. My receiver has an auto setup feature that figures out the speakers you have using a mic. That worked with two speakers. So if I decide to add another along with the sub that should be possible.