Pick Your Poisson

Hugh Akston

Re: Pick Your Poisson

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Mar 2012, 23:26

So I just read Hitchen's 2006 VF piece about Kony, and I have to wonder (apparently part two in a series) whether he ever covered an actual story, or just wrote stories about himself covering stories. Also the religion angle seems...not irrelevant to the story, but probably not as relevant to the story as Hitch seems to imply.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 Mar 2012, 20:58

I'd have gone with Brownian Sightings for a new title.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 24 Mar 2012, 13:03

That's good, too.

Every time I see the thread for video games, I think of Lana Del Rey. Then, it's off to my bunk.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Mar 2012, 00:40

If you're a swarthy, out of shape dude wearing a Spain t-shirt in a Brooks Brothers in CT, their first assumption is that you're a retired soccer player.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Mar 2012, 11:26

The Arlington County Courthouse issues Marriage Licenses and Concealed Carry Permits out of the same office.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Mar 2012, 11:28

Kolohe wrote:The Arlington County Courthouse issues Marriage Licenses and Concealed Carry Permits out of the same office.
Which are you in the market for?

Aldo, there's a tasteless comment to be made about that juxtaposition.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Mar 2012, 11:42

thoreau wrote:
Kolohe wrote:The Arlington County Courthouse issues Marriage Licenses and Concealed Carry Permits out of the same office.

It's just down the hall from the wills and estates section.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Mar 2012, 18:58

Local Qdoba restaurant has had the World's Least Effective Help Wanted poster up for 6 months, probably due to their conditions on the poster:

"Help Wanted: Weekend Staff, must be able to work every Saturday and Sunday, NO EXCEPTIONS"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Mar 2012, 19:38

Kolohe wrote:
thoreau wrote:

It's just down the hall from the wills and estates section.
And the gun shop with the single-bullet discount?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 27 Mar 2012, 21:52

Good times protesting at an atheist rally (no, it's not the Westboro Baptist Church).
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Mar 2012, 00:11

Before I swim laps I get on the scale in just my swim trunks. It comes out pretty close to 212 pounds.

I swim for 45 minutes. I spend 5 minutes in the jacuzzi. I shower. Wrapped in a towel, I step on the scale. It comes out pretty close to 210.

I'd love to conclude that I worked out so hard that I lost 2 pounds, except that this also happened on Tuesday, so I gained back those 2 pounds over Wednesday.

And, no, I did not go to the bathroom between visits to the scale.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 30 Mar 2012, 01:18

Thoreau: you're losing water weight. Sweat, both during the workout and the jacuzzi, most likely.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Apr 2012, 12:07

I kind of hope this isn't an April Fools' joke by Google, though I strongly suspect it is.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Apr 2012, 12:14

the innominate one wrote:I kind of hope this isn't an April Fools' joke by Google, though I strongly suspect it is.

I liked that better than Google Maps for NES. (though 'blow on the cartridge' has been the single funniest line today.)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Apr 2012, 15:55

The drying staff at one of the local carwashes was entirely female on this shift.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Apr 2012, 16:01

Kolohe wrote:The drying staff at one of the local carwashes was entirely female on this shift.
D...did they run of clean rags and the only cloth they had left to dry the cars were their cutoff t-shirts?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 01 Apr 2012, 16:02

Gmail Tap is definitely a joke. The engineer listed as Todd Smith is LL Cool J - real name James Todd Smith.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Apr 2012, 16:13

Timothy wrote:Gmail Tap is definitely a joke. The engineer listed as Todd Smith is LL Cool J - real name James Todd Smith.
Or you might have noticed any of a dozen other anvils falling on your head.
Last edited by Warren on 01 Apr 2012, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Apr 2012, 16:23

Timothy wrote:Gmail Tap is definitely a joke. The engineer listed as Todd Smith is LL Cool J - real name James Todd Smith.
That was a fantastic kicker, yes.

The obvious bit was having two buttons. A real Morse code app would only need one. I'd actually looked for such an app out of curiosity, as people skilled with morse can do so freaking fast, but there's nothing that work as a general keyboard replacement like, say, SlideIt. Worse COMMA standard Morse code doesn't actually support a lot of characters that come up STOP Though, I suppose if anyone built such an app, they'd probably support one of the extensions that do.

(SlideIt is nice, but requires care. When I lock up the office and text in that it's all locked up, alarms turned on, etc., the phrase "sensors armed" keeps getting interpreted as "senators armed".)

I'd be tempted to explore some sort of mini-keyboard interface for smart phones that used a few buttons, but I'm not much of a human factors designer, and I fear that the best-case result would be recreating Palm's Graffiti - a brilliant interface that would be quickly left in the dust as the hardware capabilities evolved.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Apr 2012, 17:46

Hugh Akston wrote:
Kolohe wrote:The drying staff at one of the local carwashes was entirely female on this shift.
D...did they run of clean rags and the only cloth they had left to dry the cars were their cutoff t-shirts?
They were all warmly dressed middle aged hispanic women (NTTAWWT)

Jake

Post by Jake » 02 Apr 2012, 14:25

I kinda want a Morse-to-text app now.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Apr 2012, 16:45

Jake wrote:I kinda want a Morse-to-text app now.
Same here, that's why I hoped it wasn't an April Fools' joke.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Apr 2012, 17:11

It would be cool if it were integrated into the flashlight and camera functions so we could tap text each other with light signals.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Apr 2012, 17:14

That would be cool. My flashlight has SOS in Morse code programmed in.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 03 Apr 2012, 00:53

Kolohe wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
They were all warmly dressed middle aged hispanic women (NTTAWWT)
This will make it all better:

"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.