Pick Your Poisson

Warren

Re: Pick Your Poisson

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 18:42
:lol:
That's some Darwin shit there. I predict an uptick in rectal cancer in 30 years.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I know some people who sunbathe their asshole every time they step outside.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

nicole wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 18:42
OK, but does he have to be naked, too?

(ETA: Damn, beaten to it.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Are those the same sungazing people who eat sunlight through their eyeballs? Seems like a natural extension. Brown eye sungazing at ya or something.
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Hold Space For My Tribe did it first as satire.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Andrew wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 22:04 I know some people who sunbathe their asshole every time they step outside.
Screenshot_20191213-193647_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191213-193647_Chrome.jpg (172.2 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

The "Where is Joe Biden" flap has become my current favorite conspiracy theory (though nothing will ever top "Antoni from Queer Eye can't cook")
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

So...
dhex wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 18:16 2019 is what happens when the brand narrative is designed by committee and the committee is eating ayahuasca tide pods.
I hate to think what they're up to for 2020.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I want a shirt like this but I want it to be saying, "Don't vote, boo"
Attachments
shirt.JPG
shirt.JPG (38.59 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Ellie wrote: 11 May 2020, 11:27 I want a shirt like this but I want it to be saying, "Don't vote, boo"
Or

boooo

don't vote

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I'm in a boring meeting, so I decided to search for fun old threads and came upon this: The Buddhist Dan T. thread

It was probably the pinnacle of my H&R posting.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote: 29 May 2020, 15:34 I'm in a boring meeting, so I decided to search for fun old threads and came upon this: The Buddhist Dan T. thread

It was probably the pinnacle of my H&R posting.
I think perhaps I should be offended there was no Buddhist DAR comment.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Just because it randomly came up in the YouTube sidebar, the Eagles big hell freezes over comeback concert is now longer ago than the Eagles debut was from that concert. ( by over two years)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

There are no contactable alien civilizations. Any "scientist" that says otherwise should have his license revoked.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 15:41 There are no contactable alien civilizations. Any "scientist" that says otherwise should have his license revoked.
Do scientists need licenses?
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 18:51
Warren wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 15:41 There are no contactable alien civilizations. Any "scientist" that says otherwise should have his license revoked.
Do scientists need licenses?
That's a joke son, you missed it. Went right past you. I say, I say you got to keep on your toes. Toes that is. The fast ones get right by ya!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

So I was trying to explain layover to an engineer who thought our data was a problem because it didn't look right in Google Earth, almost undoubtedly because they were expecting our data to line up with the rooftops in the aerial imagery and for tall buildings the rooftop can appear in the imagery several meters from where it would actually line up on the ground, since the camera is rarely perfectly over the building. It's a parallax effect. When an image is taken looking down towards the ground, a rooftop or the top of any other tall structure will be displaced away from the camera relative to the base of the building/object.

This in turn led me to think about the fact that the opposite actually happens in radar and lidar (although lidar data is processed into discrete 3D points in space so it's not something you ever see) because instead of passively focusing incoming light to a flat sensor/film, it's sending out an active pulse and measuring return time (usually interferometrically). The radar beam reaches the top of the building before it reaches the base of the building, so when plotted as a semi-raw image, tall objects seem to smear towards the sensor. It's an odd effect if you're used to looking at passive imagery.

So in another step, I started thinking about the energy loss in the reflection and any time that the reflection might take and whether that would effect the final interferometric measurement of the travel time. The photon has to lose energy to the reflecting surface through conservation of momentum and thus of energy, and there has to be SOME interaction time. A quick look says yes there's a tiny redshift and a tiny delay, but the delay is smaller than the uncertainty of the photon's location so that's no big deal. I couldn't find a pre-made calculation of the actual redshifting, but it can't be big, either.

So the last bit of rabbit hole before I got myself back to work, I started thinking about astronomical redshifting, and what the closest object might be with observable red-shifting. Theoretically, if i understand inflationary theory and dark energy well enough, which I don't, inflation should be affecting everything on every scale, as it's spacetime itself that's expanding. But I can't find any mention of redshift for anything closer than a galaxy (some of which are actually blueshifted because they're moving toward our galaxy at a greater rate than inflation would be moving them away.

And what effect does this have on oppression of indigenous peoples and how can inflationary theory be decolonized and incorporate other ways of knowing like shamanism or like pangolin scales or some shit?

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Aww man. I'm going over an SDS for a new cosmetic pigment we want to use at work, and in the Toxicological section, there's a long list of rabbit and rat testing with results.

I know we need to do this, but it still makes me sad.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Jasper wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 10:20 Aww man. I'm going over an SDS for a new cosmetic pigment we want to use at work, and in the Toxicological section, there's a long list of rabbit and rat testing with results.

I know we need to do this, but it still makes me sad.
Sad that so many rabbits and rats had to suffer for our safety?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 17:11 I started thinking about astronomical redshifting, and what the closest object might be with observable red-shifting. Theoretically, if i understand inflationary theory and dark energy well enough, which I don't, inflation should be affecting everything on every scale, as it's spacetime itself that's expanding. But I can't find any mention of redshift for anything closer than a galaxy (some of which are actually blueshifted because they're moving toward our galaxy at a greater rate than inflation would be moving them away.
The Hubble constant (there's some debate now about whether it is really a 'constant') is around 70 kps per mega-parsec*. At distances inside the Milky Way, that works out to less than one kps, which would be lost in the third decimal place of the measureable proper motion of stars inside our galaxy - around 200 kps relative to the core.
And what effect does this have on oppression of indigenous peoples and how can inflationary theory be decolonized and incorporate other ways of knowing like shamanism or like pangolin scales or some shit?
Hubble is a dead white male. What more needs to be said?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

When touch-typing, I've been really bad recently about typing homophones when I clearly no the difference. Literally that 'no' was unintentional, and I started to go back and correct it but figured it was illustrative.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

For all the "Ugh, white women" talk among race-conscious people on the internet, white women sure did love The Oprah Winfrey show.

I feel like she's the healing voice our culture needs right now.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo