Pick Your Poisson

dhex
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Pick Your Poisson

Post by dhex » 24 Oct 2019, 06:22

I blame Stewart and colbert for trump. Remember the rally for sanity or whatever it was? Yeah fuck those guys.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JasonL
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JasonL » 24 Oct 2019, 08:34

dhex wrote:I blame Stewart and colbert for trump. Remember the rally for sanity or whatever it was? Yeah fuck those guys.
They were an input to be sure- anchors in the cultural narrative that became the talking points of trumpism. The official office of Comedian Laureate is a creation of the Democrats. By no means the only thing, but a thing.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 25 Oct 2019, 07:11

Ellie wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 11:13
Speaking of "whatever happened to this person I am too lazy to Google," what is Jon Stewart up to these days?
His most recent major appearance was a bit of congressional testimony in which he excoriated legislators for not extending benefits for 9/11 first responders. His speech, delivered from a seat next to a firefighter who died of cancer not long after that day, was pretty savage. The bill extending the benefits did pass, largely due to his public shaming.

This is probably a decoder-ring moment, but I've long since given mine up. I'm very much Stewart's side his side on this one. I'm a firefighter who recently lost a captain, mentor, and friend to cancer that almost certainly resulted from the job. That is to say, that cool, dispassionate analysis isn't going to be my strong suit here. Whatever his other faults, Stewart did a good thing that day. As long as there are first responders nearby, Stewart will never be able to buy his own drink again.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Oct 2019, 08:53

I don't get why that would be a decoder-ring moment, but I honestly can't think of the last time anyone's said that and it struck me as one. I want the government to provide first-responders and, you know, take care of their needs if they get hurt or sick...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Oct 2019, 11:30

Eric the .5b wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 08:53
I don't get why that would be a decoder-ring moment, but I honestly can't think of the last time anyone's said that and it struck me as one. I want the government to provide first-responders and, you know, take care of their needs if they get hurt or sick...
As one who gets his healthcare from the VA, I agree.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Oct 2019, 11:58

First-responders and military personnel and veterans should get the benefit of their bargain and that has typically included extended medical benefits. I don't have a 'libertarian' problem with the state keeping that promise. That's a severable question from whether, should it turn out that those promised benefits are inadequate, the state has a further obligation to extend them. I don't know that there's a one-size-fits-all answer to that question, but concentrating on first-responders in 9/11 is, ceteris paribus, the equivalent of concentrating on the victims of mass shootings. Is the same consideration going to be paid to the thousands of individual firefighters, etc. who braved horrific events on much smaller scales, or are we just making exceptions when the individuals involved are part of a major national news event?

JD

Post by JD » 25 Oct 2019, 12:14

I'm going to put my dick in the mashed potatoes, if I may, and say that the thing about the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund* is that it's turned into this politically untouchable sacred cow that, honestly, doesn't seem to have much logic behind it. If two people were both injured on 9/11, but one was injured due to the terrorist attacks, and one in an unrelated incident, the one injured in the terrorist attacks becomes the beneficiary of a nominally temporary but now effectively permanent government program, while the other gets squat. But you can't criticize this, because then YOU'RE AGAINST FIRST RESPONDERS!!!!1!!1! This has nothing to do with logic or justice and everything to do with 9/11 fetishization.

* which, incidentally, does not have anything specifically to do with first responders

EDIT: DAR actually kind of made the same point I'm making while I was busy writing.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 25 Oct 2019, 12:32

The general rule I'm proposing is that when people responding to emergencies on behalf of a government entity are hurt or sickened as a result of those responses, then that entity should pay for the cost of care. This is the same principle that underlies the VA. To DAR's point, I would suggest that yes, the person hurt while working a car accident across town should be made while as much as possible in the same way as the person hurt responding to to terrorist attack/mass shooting/newsworthy disaster. In the case of 9/11, the cost of that care is beyond the ability of state or local governments to cover. In such cases, I an fine with the federal government acting as a sort or re-insurer and picking up where smaller entities can't.
Funds assumed at compensating victims are a different case, since there was no promise implicit or otherwise, that the government would compensate people for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In those cases, questions like "why pay the family of the person killed in a terrorist attack, and not that of a person killed in a random car wreck" carry a lot more force.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Oct 2019, 12:50

Number 6 wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 12:32
The general rule I'm proposing is that when people responding to emergencies on behalf of a government entity are hurt or sickened as a result of those responses, then that entity should pay for the cost of care. This is the same principle that underlies the VA. To DAR's point, I would suggest that yes, the person hurt while working a car accident across town should be made while as much as possible in the same way as the person hurt responding to to terrorist attack/mass shooting/newsworthy disaster. In the case of 9/11, the cost of that care is beyond the ability of state or local governments to cover. In such cases, I an fine with the federal government acting as a sort or re-insurer and picking up where smaller entities can't.
Funds assumed at compensating victims are a different case, since there was no promise implicit or otherwise, that the government would compensate people for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In those cases, questions like "why pay the family of the person killed in a terrorist attack, and not that of a person killed in a random car wreck" carry a lot more force.
I don't have a problem with that beyond noting that whenever federal preemption or augmentation of some state or local function occurs, it carries with it typically more federal accretion of power and control. There are certainly smaller municipalities and poorer states whose citizens nonetheless require police, firefighters, paramedics, etc. and I wouldn't mind the deeper-pockets of the federal government assisting them in that manner.

That said, first, NYC is hardly a small or poor municipality. Second, like the volunteer military, I assume those who pursue careers as first-responders do so with their eyes open as to both the rewards and risks. As I said, they're definitely entitled to the benefit of their bargain. What that bargain should be is at the very least open to debate.

JD

Post by JD » 25 Oct 2019, 14:24

I will say that both DAR and Number 6 pose very cogent arguments, and I respect them for that.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Oct 2019, 14:34

JD wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 14:24
I will say that both DAR and Number 6 pose very cogent arguments, and I respect them for that.
Listen here, JD, we don't put up with that sort of civility and respect at this here Gryll! Er, I mean, thank you!

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Oct 2019, 17:50

Also, because I was falling asleep when I made my last post and neglected to say, I'm very sorry for your loss, Number 6.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 25 Oct 2019, 19:05

Eric the .5b wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 17:50
Also, because I was falling asleep when I made my last post and neglected to say, I'm very sorry for your loss, Number 6.
Thank you for that. Andrew Donner was one of the best men I've ever had the honor to work with.
Also, I don't think that DAR and I disagree on much here, if anything. I will say that it's absolutely true that first responders, like military people go into the job very much aware of the risks. It's fair to say that we seek it out. In the case of fire and EMS, we're all aware of the risk of the sorts of line of duty deaths and injuries that you'd immediately think of in connection with such jobs. What tends to get them, though, isn't collapsing buildings or the fires themselves. It's heart attacks, strokes, and vehicle accidents. And recently, it's become apparent that, it's also cancer. It's becoming a near-epidemic among firefighters who have been on the job for a while, and frankly, it's kind of blindsided us. A while ago, a friend of mine in the military said of military suicide, "We've all got someone." I was startled to realize that's true. Almost everyone I know who has been in the military for a while has lost someone to suicide. It's like that with cancer and firefighters. It's getting to the point where everyone is within a couple degrees of separation from someone who has been affected by cancer.
The fire service has long been aware of the risk of breathing in combustion products, and has taken steps to reduce that risk. But it turns out that there's more to it than that. Transdermal exposure is a huge part of it. The gear that keeps us safe, as it turns out, can kill us if it's not kept properly clean. Exposure to diesel fumes is another risk factor the scope of which is only starting to become apparent. Truth is, it's a ton of little things that we're just now realizing increase the risk. My department is pretty good about implementing the new exposure reduction strategies. But for Andy, it came too late. And that's the case for a lot of people in the fire service.

http:// meyersfuneralchapel.com/2019/08/27/andrew-donner/
https:// fox4kc.com/2019/09/09/fort-osage-firefighter-dies-from-lung-cancer-likely-caused-by-his-years-on-the-job/

Links added just because I want you guys to know what kind of guy he was.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 25 Oct 2019, 19:44

Eric the .5b wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 08:53
Yeah this.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Oct 2019, 20:04

Number 6 wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 19:05
http:// meyersfuneralchapel.com/2019/08/27/andrew-donner/
https:// fox4kc.com/2019/09/09/fort-osage-firefighter-dies-from-lung-cancer-likely-caused-by-his-years-on-the-job/
Jesus, he was young. Thank you for the links.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Oct 2019, 20:16

I'm sorry about your colleague, 6. No, we're not in any substantial disagreement.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Oct 2019, 12:37

This paragraph from an article on "ADHD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Home" is cracking me up.
Minimize Problem Situations
Anticipate problems and structure your home to avoid them. For example, if your child is extremely active and prone to flinging their arms and body around, don’t fill the family room with breakables and valuable antiques. Don’t have swivel chairs in the house. Don’t get your child an ATV (all-terrain vehicle) or BB guns.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Oct 2019, 14:35

Ellie wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 11:20
Too lazy to Google but wondering what ever happened to that college student carrying the mattress around.
The Cut has a new article out about her, asking "Did Emma Sulkowicz Get Redpilled?" https://www.thecut.com/2019/10/did-emma ... illed.html

(no)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Oct 2019, 15:26

nicole wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 14:35
Ellie wrote:
Too lazy to Google but wondering what ever happened to that college student carrying the mattress around.
The Cut has a new article out about her, asking "Did Emma Sulkowicz Get Redpilled?" https://www.thecut.com/2019/10/did-emma ... illed.html

(no)
That was actually a pretty interesting article, in spite of some extremely eye-rolly Brooklyn up-your-own-buttness. Good on her for developing some self-awareness. Galt knows we could use some more people who actually care about consent.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Oct 2019, 19:38

Hugh Akston wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 15:26
nicole wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 14:35
Ellie wrote:

(no)
That was actually a pretty interesting article, in spite of some extremely eye-rolly Brooklyn up-your-own-buttness. Good on her for developing some self-awareness. Galt knows we could use some more people who actually care about consent.
I'll keep reading, but I'm only two sentences in and it's not looking good.
“This story starts with me being on Tinder,” Emma Sulkowicz explains. “I don’t have TV, so all I can do is swipe left and right on men.”
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Oct 2019, 20:52

That's what I mean. There's a lot of those, but the end result is pretty positive.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Oct 2019, 21:18

A little farther along...
Having found the art world humorless, narrow-minded, and grotesquely competitive, Sulkowicz says she stopped making art about a year ago. She quit a fellowship at a museum, ceased teaching art classes, and was essentially unemployed for a time, drawing income from occasional speaking gigs, mostly about campus sexual assault. (Her remarks on Me Too have been fewer; she supports it, but wants a clearer path to forgiveness.) She has been working on a memoir that draws on her diaries from Mattress Performance, and last month, she started a full-time, four-year master’s program in traditional Chinese medicine.
[Daffy Duck 4th wall eye-shift]
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Oct 2019, 21:22

Warren wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 21:18
A little farther along...
Having found the art world humorless, narrow-minded, and grotesquely competitive, Sulkowicz says she stopped making art about a year ago. She quit a fellowship at a museum, ceased teaching art classes, and was essentially unemployed for a time, drawing income from occasional speaking gigs, mostly about campus sexual assault. (Her remarks on Me Too have been fewer; she supports it, but wants a clearer path to forgiveness.) She has been working on a memoir that draws on her diaries from Mattress Performance, and last month, she started a full-time, four-year master’s program in traditional Chinese medicine.
[Daffy Duck 4th wall eye-shift]
"All right, class! Wipe on! Wipe off!"

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Oct 2019, 23:26

A former Juul executive is alleging in a lawsuit that the fast-growing startup shipped out one million contaminated e-cigarette pods earlier this year — but did not tell customers or issue a recall.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/st ... nated-pods
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Nov 2019, 18:42

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex