Post by JasonL » 30 Nov 2018, 09:14

jfc

Andrew

Re: Pick Your Poisson

Post by Andrew » 30 Nov 2018, 09:30

Hugh Akston wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 01:59
You guys I'm...not sure Donald Trump is the problem here
I like the opener where the divorce attorney has seen TWO!!! cases of divorce over politics. It's a huge trend! And then they quote an Evergreen professor. Color me convinced. But yeah, that is overall some amazing TDS on display.
He does take care of our children so that I can be at a political meeting until 9:30 p.m. on a weeknight, and he sees that as him putting skin in the game. That is absolutely true, but it doesn’t feel like enough, especially with our military background. I’m like, Dude, during your deployments I was a single parent
I don't know where the dude was deployed, but, uh, does she think that his deployment was a non-stop party? If he was deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, then her being the martyr for being a single parent while he was gone is amazing to the point of being a personality disorder.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Nov 2018, 12:38

Hugh Akston wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 01:59
You guys I'm...not sure Donald Trump is the problem here
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HA HA HA HA HA
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
ha ha ha ha ha

aha
:|

damn :(
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Dec 2018, 20:40

I was listening to "Running Up That Hill" and wondered about something: When she says that she'd like to get God to "swap our places", whose places is she talking about? Does she want to swap with God? Or swap with the person to whom she's addressing the song?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Dec 2018, 21:40

thoreau wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 20:40
I was listening to "Running Up That Hill" and wondered about something: When she says that she'd like to get God to "swap our places", whose places is she talking about? Does she want to swap with God? Or swap with the person to whom she's addressing the song?
The latter; that's why the rest of the song is about lovers struggling to understand each other and worries about the relationship (and even having relationships).
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Dec 2018, 17:38

It's amazing that a guy who was in the Army from 1987 to 2015 and rose to the rank of a full Colonel never went to either Afghanistan or Iraq

(As in, "I'm not even mad; that's amazing")
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Jan 2019, 22:30

I just met a guy who looks and sounds like Rufus Sewell's character in The Man In The High Castle.

He seems nice.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Jan 2019, 16:07

I feel like a hipster in that thanks to you guys, I heard of Marie Kondo years ago instead of just in the past month.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 Jan 2019, 16:59

Wait. When all my friends have been talking about watching a Japanese lady clean people's houses on Netflix now, they're talking about Kondo? I assumed it was someone new.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Jan 2019, 17:17

We've been talking about Kondo on and off here since early 2016. There's even a Kondo thread.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Jan 2019, 17:32

lunchstealer wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 14:12
Minnesota, duh.
You betcha!

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 Jan 2019, 17:44

Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 17:17
We've been talking about Kondo on and off here since early 2016. There's even a Kondo thread.
I know. That's why I assumed that when all my real-life friends started talking about this new thing last week, it wasn't Kondo. Because she's not new.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Jan 2019, 17:56

She's cute as hell, I have to admit. Weird, but cute. :D Someone on Facebook referred to her as a "manic pixie clean girl."
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 Jan 2019, 19:45

Jadagul wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 17:44
Eric the .5b wrote:
I know. That's why I assumed that when all my real-life friends started talking about this new thing last week, it wasn't Kondo. Because she's not new.
Proving once again that grylliaders aren't monsters, we're just ahead of the curve.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Jan 2019, 01:33

Jadagul wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Sorry, I was on the tablet or I would have directed that more clearly to Kolohe.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2019, 10:18

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 01:33
Jadagul wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Sorry, I was on the tablet or I would have directed that more clearly to Kolohe.
That was specifically what Kolohe was thanking you for.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jan 2019, 14:23

I finally decided to start answering calls from unfamiliar numbers, so I could freak them out by answering with "Hello, caller, you're on the air!" But they're all robocalls so I'm not having any fun.
--Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Feb 2019, 14:23

I caught the tail end of our local NPR call-in show; I have no idea what the topic of the day was. But the host was saying, "Only one in three Americans" (I assume she meant adult Americans) "has a college degree? That's shocking in the way poverty is shocking, or climate change!"

I could maybe see it being surprising (I would have thought it was closer to 50-50 at least) or a good litmus test to see if you are living in more of a bubble than you realized (if all your friends have college degrees). But "shocking the way poverty is shocking"?

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 11 Feb 2019, 14:57

Um...only about one in three Americans do have a college degree. And I think that's a high-water mark. (Strangely, the numbers depend on who you ask: the Census says 33.4% of Americans over 25 have a bachelor's or higher, but the OECD says 43%. I have no idea what explains that discrepancy. EDIT: the OECD numbers I found are for ages 25-34, which explains about half of the difference, but the Census still seems to say like 37%? Not sure).

This always surprises me---2/3 feels more correct to me, but it is not.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Feb 2019, 15:29

Ellie wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 14:23
I caught the tail end of our local NPR call-in show; I have no idea what the topic of the day was. But the host was saying, "One in three Americans" (I assume she meant adult Americans) "doesn't have a college degree? That's shocking in the way poverty is shocking, or climate change!"

I could maybe see it being surprising (I would have thought it was closer to 50-50 at least) or a good litmus test to see if you are living in more of a bubble than you realized (if all your friends have college degrees). But "shocking the way poverty is shocking"?
Yeah it's far more shocking to me that 2/3 of Americans have degrees. It's really weird that it's gone that far. Are they allowing Associates' in there? Or is that 2/3 have full four-year degrees?

Maybe it's because I went to a school with perhaps a higher rate of poverty than the median, but it seems strange to me that so many managed to jump that many hoops.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Feb 2019, 15:31

33%; 43% 50% 66.6666666%

They all feel to me like 'credentialism run amok.' Quite simply, I do not feel that even 1/3 of the labor force is engaged in an occupation that requires a college degree.

The main benefit I can see is a large number of people potentially exposed to a broader range of ideas and possibly developing better reasoning skills. From my POV, I don't see much evidence of these.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Feb 2019, 15:47

Oops, I misspoke. She said 1 in 3 has a college degree. I'll edit my post.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Feb 2019, 17:23

I'm not clear on the appeal of Smashburger. Are people really too busy in this hectic modern world to boil down a pound of beef tallow, wait until it cools to room temperature, then dunk their face and hands in so that the unctuous film will never wash away?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Feb 2019, 19:51

You do have a way with words there Hugh. That's what I love about you.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Feb 2019, 22:00

Yeah, that's dhex level writing and John the Melitary Laywer level wrong. Smashburger is pretty much on par with all the other fast-casual burger joints in terms of individual burger quality, and the addition of sweet potato fries, the local-option burger (which in Colorado is a green-chile-based burger and therefore the best option on the menu), and a cooler with some okay beer put it a cut above Five Guys in these parts.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR