Pick Your Poisson

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Pick Your Poisson

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Apr 2012, 13:40

lunchstealer wrote:DAR's avatar.
In further proof, by the way, that Hollywood has had about four new ideas in the past decade or so and is content to recycle anything it can get its grubby little hands on, there's a feature length film being made about Peabody and Sherman. Given how well the Rocky & Bullwinkle film went, what could go wrong?

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Apr 2012, 13:47

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
In further proof, by the way, that Hollywood has had about four new ideas in the past decade or so and is content to recycle anything it can get its grubby little hands on, there's a feature length film being made about Peabody and Sherman. Given how well the Rocky & Bullwinkle film went, what could go wrong?
I can hardly wait for the live actor version of Fractured Fairy Tales
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Apr 2012, 15:07

Ah, thanks. I didn't think Mr. Peabody was Canadian.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Apr 2012, 02:09

A few friends and relatives consider "stupid" to be almost as bad as a curse word and don't want their young kids (first grade, plus or minus a few years) saying or hearing it. This is fucking stupid, IMHO. If you can't say the word stupid, you will be unable to give an honest, succinct description of most of the things that you encounter in life.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Apr 2012, 02:13

Ja, that's retarded.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 15 Apr 2012, 04:30

That was my mother's theory growing up, actually.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Apr 2012, 09:17

I was not allowed to say "stupid" in my house growing up, either. Of course, as with most things (wheat germ on pasta and rosaries every night during Lent, anyone) by the time the fifth or sixth kid came along, my mother had abandoned the rule.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Apr 2012, 14:23

I'd say that the gratuitous use of 'stupid' is reasonably to be discouraged. Because there's a big difference between something being actually stupid and something being 'that of which you disapprove'. It misattributes disagreement with mental incapacity. Encouraging kids to explain what they don't like about something, rather than just calling it 'stupid', will make everyone's life better.

But then again, taking that too far and attempting to micromanage your kid's vocabulary is just stupid.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Apr 2012, 14:42

My wife was raised with a strict no stupid or dumb policy as well. It was normal speak in my house and didn't actually carry any OMG heavy weight. This occasionally causes pouty lips and such.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Apr 2012, 14:43

There's two ways that one can get through the day while working in higher education:
1) Use the word "stupid" on a regular basis.
2) Lie.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 15 Apr 2012, 15:07

thoreau wrote:There's two ways that one can get through the day while working in higher education:
2) Lie.
I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but that doesn't sound any different than any other workplace or institution.There's nothing inherently stupider about higher ed than there is, say, working at Microsoft, would be my guess.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Shem

Post by Shem » 15 Apr 2012, 15:13

Ayn_Randian wrote:
thoreau wrote:There's two ways that one can get through the day while working in higher education:
2) Lie.
I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but that doesn't sound any different than any other workplace or institution.There's nothing inherently stupider about higher ed than there is, say, working at Microsoft, would be my guess.
Pretty sure he was speaking of higher ed because that's where he works, not because he was claiming some sort of privilege for his own particular pain..
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Apr 2012, 15:16

Shem wrote:
Ayn_Randian wrote:
2) Lie.
Pretty sure he was speaking of higher ed because that's where he works, not because he was claiming some sort of privilege for his own particular pain..
Pretty much.
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 May 2012, 22:13

Kids are so unnaturally obedient on TV. Whenever parents say, "Go up to bed" or "Stop watching TV and go to your room," the kids comply without hesitation or whining or argument. I can't even get my friends' kids to go to bed when it's 2 am and they're falling asleep on their feet or stop watching TV when it means they can go into the kitchen and eat ice cream.

I kind of wish directors would just stop having them in the scene at all and use some other means to signify that this is going to be a Serious Conversation Between Adults. It's like having a 555 phone number. Just find a way around it already.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 May 2012, 20:22

The last chapter that we're covering in my class is Chapter 11. When we start the new chapter tomorrow I get to say "This class goes to 11."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 May 2012, 01:00

Ellie wrote:Kids are so unnaturally obedient on TV. Whenever parents say, "Go up to bed" or "Stop watching TV and go to your room," the kids comply without hesitation or whining or argument. I can't even get my friends' kids to go to bed when it's 2 am and they're falling asleep on their feet or stop watching TV when it means they can go into the kitchen and eat ice cream.
Thirty eight takes (plus some overdubbing) helps.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 May 2012, 17:00

I sort of get why people put their name on a gravestone when their not even dead yet, but it's still a bit weird and slightly creepy.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 May 2012, 17:51

Kolohe wrote:I sort of get why people put their name on a gravestone when their not even dead yet, but it's still a bit weird and slightly creepy.
I dunno. The way some of my cow-orkers act, it could be where they go home at night.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 May 2012, 19:18

Richard Leakey thinks that the evolution debate will soon be history. The skeptics will soon throw in the trowel, he says.

With all due respect to Dr. Leakey, I doubt it very much.

Shem

Post by Shem » 26 May 2012, 19:43

Aresen wrote:Richard Leakey thinks that the evolution debate will soon be history. The skeptics will soon throw in the trowel, he says.

Richard Leakey is an African of British descent who has only lived in the US for a decade, at most, and is therefore not to be expected to grasp the depth of reality denial on the part of American evangelicals, conservatives, and their fellow-travelers.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 May 2012, 19:57

Shem wrote:
Aresen wrote:Richard Leakey thinks that the evolution debate will soon be history. The skeptics will soon throw in the trowel, he says.

Richard Leakey is an African of British descent who has only lived in the US for a decade, at most, and is therefore not to be expected to grasp the depth of reality denial on the part of American evangelicals, conservatives, and their fellow-travelers.
And the battle has just begun in many Islamic countries.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 May 2012, 20:24

Yeah, I don't think it will be that easy to cement a victory.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 26 May 2012, 23:13

Kolohe wrote:

Not even when they examine all the concrete evidence?

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 26 May 2012, 23:31

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Kolohe wrote:

Not even when they examine all the concrete evidence?
Not in the aggregate, no.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 May 2012, 00:17

Hmm. Yes, I expect opposition to dribble on in drips and drabs, with crazy occasionally gushing from the cracks in American society.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR