Pick Your Poisson

Warren

Re: Pick Your Poisson

Post by Warren » 30 Aug 2016, 11:32

Ellie wrote:I was trying to your type "that's going to drive me bonkers" but accidentally said "that's going to drive me boners" so now I just sound like a horny pirate.
What? Like a viking?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Aug 2016, 11:57

Warren wrote:
Ellie wrote:I was trying to your type "that's going to drive me bonkers" but accidentally said "that's going to drive me boners" so now I just sound like a horny pirate.
What? Like a viking?
:D :D :D :D
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Apr 2017, 10:25

Has anyone seen Steve Bannon and Michael Moore in the same room? Are we sure they're different people?Image

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Jul 2017, 12:45

I have been on Twitter regularly for the first time ever, because of one single internet person who is easiest to contact that way. And I just joined Reddit because I came across a particularly interesting subreddit that I couldn't resist joining. I have finally arrived at the internet 10 years ago.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 05 Jul 2017, 12:58

Ellie wrote:I have been on Twitter regularly for the first time ever, because of one single internet person who is easiest to contact that way. And I just joined Reddit because I came across a particularly interesting subreddit that I couldn't resist joining. I have finally arrived at the internet 10 years ago.
People talk about Reddit being a cesspit, but it takes extremely little work to customize it to be completely anodyne cute animal pics.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 05 Jul 2017, 13:04

Sandy wrote:
Ellie wrote:I have been on Twitter regularly for the first time ever, because of one single internet person who is easiest to contact that way. And I just joined Reddit because I came across a particularly interesting subreddit that I couldn't resist joining. I have finally arrived at the internet 10 years ago.
People talk about Reddit being a cesspit, but it takes extremely little work to customize it to be completely anodyne cute animal pics.
Same thing about Twitter, Tumblr or much of the rest of the internet. You can, with careful curation, avoid most things you want to avoid. You can make your bubble thick and strong.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 05 Jul 2017, 13:14

tr0g wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Same thing about Twitter, Tumblr or much of the rest of the internet. You can, with careful curation, avoid most things you want to avoid. You can make your bubble thick and strong.
Twitter is harder, unless you turn off viewing retweets on every person you follow. And then you might miss some of the stuff you want.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 05 Jul 2017, 21:54

Sandy wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Twitter is harder, unless you turn off viewing retweets on every person you follow. And then you might miss some of the stuff you want.
Yeah. Twitter is basically designed to be Eternal September.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Jul 2017, 03:53

If The Handmaid's Tale doesn't win an Emmy, I predict a social justice freakout.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 15 Jul 2017, 12:25

thoreau wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 03:53
If The Handmaid's Tale doesn't win an Emmy, I predict a social justice freakout.
I have said this before elsewhere, but the only reason everybody goes gaga over The Handmaid's Tale is because it is confirmation bias in novel form. It supports liberals/lefties/SJWs deepest, darkest fears about religious people. Take that away and it's second or third rate dystopia with little to recommend it.

But hey, at least people are pretending* to have a read a book other than the Harry Potter series for their current event analysis.

*I remain convinced that most people who use Harry Potter tropes to relate to current events didn't read the books, just saw the movies.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Jul 2017, 18:35

thoreau wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 03:53
Best YA adaptation. ;)
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Jul 2017, 09:10

I like the book. It's very 80s.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Jul 2017, 09:44

dhex wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 09:10
I like the book. It's very 80s.
It is. There was a good review recently in Open Letters Monthly as well that focused on how incredibly slow it is.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Jul 2017, 09:50

I haven't watched the show, but I am upset that it puts the idea of having sex with Elisabeth Moss while Yvonne Strahovski looks on with stern disapproval in such a negative context.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Jul 2017, 10:36

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 09:50
I haven't watched the show, but I am upset that it puts the idea of having sex with Elisabeth Moss while Yvonne Strahovski looks on with stern disapproval in such a negative context.
The only proper time to disapprove of Elisabeth Moss having sex is when it's with that little shit weasel Pete Campbell.

(scuttles off to write fan fic in which Yvonne Strahovski bursts in as her character from Chuck, snaps Pete Campbell's spine in half, and tosses him out a window. Then her, Moss, and Hendricks go out for a nice lunch and decide to leave all those assholes and form a crimefighting team)
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Jul 2017, 11:02

No no no! You don't understand! You're ruining it for me.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Jul 2017, 19:47

I do wish that the BBC weren't changing the name of the show to 'Nurse Who'. Just seems a bit problematic.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Jul 2017, 20:01

Not a Dr. Who fan, but I see how people are excited about the new pick.

What I am not looking forward to is the inevitable moral scolding of anyone who doesn't like the new Dr.
--Fin Fang Foom

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 16 Jul 2017, 20:25

These predictions are already coming true (read the thread):

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Jul 2017, 20:50

Moffat is gone, so it might suck less.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 16 Jul 2017, 20:59

Yeah, but any criticism will be labeled misogyny.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Jul 2017, 00:08

At this point any criticism probably is misogyny. The episodes haven't aired. Give her a chance.

After it airs, it can and should be fair game.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

--Fin Fang Foom

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 17 Jul 2017, 00:23

thoreau wrote:At this point any criticism probably is misogyny. The episodes haven't aired. Give her a chance.

If you read the link, the assumption is after the premiere, any criticism will be so labeled.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jul 2017, 00:34

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 11:02
No no no! You don't understand! You're ruining it for me.
Don't worry, they'll have plenty of sexy pillow fights.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Jul 2017, 07:32

Sandy wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 00:23
thoreau wrote:At this point any criticism probably is misogyny. The episodes haven't aired. Give her a chance.

If you read the link, the assumption is after the premiere, any criticism will be so labeled.
Yeah, but that's a super low bar to clear. It's the same problem those worries always have: Hey, a couple people on twitter said that we didn't like it because misogyny! Therefore, it's ALL SJWs!

And like thoreau alluded to, there's PLENTY of misogynistic criticism *right now* about it. Those don't get magically transformed into thoughtful analysis because someone laid out a playbook for discrediting criticism of the criticism.
Last edited by Highway on 17 Jul 2017, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."