Pick Your Poisson

Jennifer

Re: Pick Your Poisson

Post by Jennifer » 16 Jan 2016, 14:55

When I was a Christian, the Bible verse I found most inspirational was the one that said "For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whosoever believeth in him shalt cast the first stone at the gays."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Jan 2016, 21:34

Jennifer wrote:The US Episcopal Church has been "suspended" from the worldwide Anglican Communion over gay marriage -- Episcopals allow it, and Anglicans hate it. It's rather sad that "opposition to gay rights" is practically becoming a religious obligation among various people, but I also find it wryly ironic because -- as the recently departed Florence King noted -- the only reason the Anglican Church exists is because Anne Boleyn was a good lay. So a church founded on adultery is now opposed to certain monogamous marriages.
Sorta. They were suspended from participating in Anglican Communion policymaking, but remain in communion with the rest of the AC. In fact, the African bishops pushed through the sanctions; Nigeria has more Anglicans than England, Canada and the U.S. combined. And unlike the West, they are in competition with Islam, which significantly effects the extent to which they can agree to the liberal changes that have occurred in the West. On the other hand, the Episcopal Church is a major source of funding for the African church, so we will see weather there scruples or their finances take the day.

Psychically transmitted over the aether via highly sophisticated magic.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Jan 2016, 21:35

Whether, that is. Damned Tapatalk!

Psychically transmitted over the aether via highly sophisticated magic.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Feb 2016, 13:26

I found this in a long string of increasingly pissy emails I sent to David while I was in the hospital for my lung thing, and it made me laugh and also I stand behind it:
"Today's Final Jeopardy category is 'British Monarchs.' You're all familiar with those."

fuck you Alex
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 01 Feb 2016, 13:45

Ellie wrote:
fuck you Alex
...and his whore goose mother?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Feb 2016, 14:09

YES

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Mar 2016, 12:52

The red robes on the judges of the Maryland Court of Appeals are on point, as the kids say these days.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 May 2016, 21:27

On Friday the 13th, a guy named Jason won the Jeopardy tournament.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 May 2016, 21:24

There you go, givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.

(edited: to fix errant quote mark. Weirdly, the url parsed correctly on my phone, but I see, not on the desktop)
Last edited by Kolohe on 16 May 2016, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 May 2016, 21:57

Kolohe wrote:There you go, givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
Stolen!

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 May 2016, 10:05

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Kolohe wrote:There you go, givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
Stolen!
Page not found.
Also, you know he stole that first right?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 16 May 2016, 11:08

Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Stolen!
Page not found.
I wouldn't perform it, but it's a good Facebook post.

Also, yes, the link was broken but the story appears elsewhere online.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 May 2016, 14:09

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Stolen!
Page not found.
I wouldn't perform it, but it's a good Facebook post.

Also, yes, the link was broken but the story appears elsewhere online.
Link fixed.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 May 2016, 18:24

I still think the Man Booker Prize is something the Village Voice gave out to their best classified sales agent.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jun 2016, 21:14

Odd little coincidence:

A few weeks ago, I happened to see a California motorcyclist complaining about drivers not respecting his right to 'lane-split.'

Yesterday, I met my ex-cop friend and asked her if it was legal in British Columbia. She told me it was illegal.

Today, in moderately busy traffic, I was driving with my window down. A motorcyclist beside me asked if lane-splitting was permitted in BC. I was able to tell him it was not. (The guy had a distinctly English accent & I assume he was a tourist.)

Just a weird coincidence that I get a piece of information one day and was able to pass it along the next.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JD

Post by JD » 01 Jul 2016, 13:10

Aresen wrote:Yesterday, I met my ex-cop friend and asked her if it was legal in British Columbia. She told me it was illegal.
Since when do we trust cops to know the law?

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 01 Jul 2016, 13:18

Aresen wrote:Odd little coincidence:

A few weeks ago, I happened to see a California motorcyclist complaining about drivers not respecting his right to 'lane-split.'

Yesterday, I met my ex-cop friend and asked her if it was legal in British Columbia. She told me it was illegal.

Today, in moderately busy traffic, I was driving with my window down. A motorcyclist beside me asked if lane-splitting was permitted in BC. I was able to tell him it was not. (The guy had a distinctly English accent & I assume he was a tourist.)

Just a weird coincidence that I get a piece of information one day and was able to pass it along the next.
Off the top of my head, lane-splitting is one of those oddities that's legal only in California in the US. I am told it's common elsewhere in the world.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Jul 2016, 14:53

tr0g wrote: I am told it's common elsewhere in the world.
Yeah, but the Japanese think that Americans are incredibly disciplined drivers. And along with Canada, I suspect that we're only behind Singapore and the Norse/Germanic-speaking countries.

I kinda think that motorcyclists are more like deer than people. They're a menace to drivers (and to themselves), and I see nothing morally wrong with hunting them for sport.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Jul 2016, 23:33

Quantum gravity is physics in the same sense that the reactivity of the element with atomic number 200 is chemistry. I mean, sure, technically, but come on.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jul 2016, 00:26

thoreau wrote:Quantum gravity is physics in the same sense that the reactivity of the element with atomic number 200 is chemistry. I mean, sure, technically, but come on.
You mean you haven't finished your planck length gauge yet? I suppose this means that the wormhole project is behind schedule as well. :roll:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Jul 2016, 20:31

The funny thing about General Flynn's poor twitter choices is that he came to prominence in defense intellectual circles by saying that our intelligence operations in Afghanistan weren't doing a good job of connecting who's who in the zoo with subsequent action. 'Human Terrain' was one of his things iirc.

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Aug 2016, 07:35

Peter Thiel is a weird fucking dude.

http://www.inc.com/jeff-bercovici/peter ... blood.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 02 Aug 2016, 07:51

Mo wrote:Peter Thiel is a weird fucking dude.

He seems a little bloodthirsty.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Aug 2016, 10:26

Andrew wrote:
Mo wrote:Peter Thiel is a weird fucking dude.

He seems a little bloodthirsty.
Maybe he should be addressed as "Count Peter".

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Aug 2016, 13:43

I was trying to your type "that's going to drive me bonkers" but accidentally said "that's going to drive me boners" so now I just sound like a horny pirate.