Pick Your Poisson

thoreau

Pick Your Poisson

Post by thoreau » 13 Mar 2012, 17:38

Since Ellie closed Random Observations and commanded us to come up with a good thread title, this is my contribution. I think it's better than Scattershot, personally.

I'll start with an observation: The "June Gloom" is early this year. I can actually feel the fog on my face today.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

the innominate one

Re: Pick Your Poisson

Post by the innominate one » 13 Mar 2012, 18:25

Much more clever than "Pick your binomial", "Pick your Gaussian", "Pick your Beta" or "Pick your nose".
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Mar 2012, 19:49

Random Observations 2.0 is a really lame thread name.

This thread rulez, other thread dr00lz.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Mar 2012, 19:56

Speaking of statistics, the author of the stats book I just purchased forgot to put the square root radical around half of an equation, thereby erroneously giving the formula for the sample variance where he indicated he was giving the formula for the sample standard deviation. That's a potentially serious error for n00bs to pick up.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Mar 2012, 20:03

the innominate one wrote:Speaking of statistics, the author of the stats book I just purchased forgot to put the square root radical around half of an equation, thereby erroneously giving the formula for the sample variance where he indicated he was giving the formula for the sample standard deviation. That's a potentially serious error for n00bs to pick up.
Is there a website that posts corrections? You should definitely contact the author.
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Mar 2012, 20:23

There is, he did, otherwise I would have.

It's good that he did, but how many people check the errata?

Also, I need to do a bit more reading before emailing on another matter, but his wording is slightly misleading (because the regular terminology is misleading). He states correctly that standard deviations cannot be subdivided for comparison (words to that effect), but that variances can be. I know ANOVAs of all kinds are based on "partitioning the variance", but variances themselves are not additive and cannot be subdivided either, which is what he implies. Sums of squares are additive and these are the values which are partitioned as a precursor to calculating among-group and within-group variances.

Herr Kant

Post by Herr Kant » 13 Mar 2012, 20:26

Books with really complicated stuff that have errors are disturbing.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Mar 2012, 20:50

Boooooo! This thread is the suckz! Scattershot is where its at, yo.

I give this thread an A minus MINUS!!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Mar 2012, 20:58

I won my wet t-shirt contest.

http://winningateverything.com/10236

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Mar 2012, 22:35

California's medical marijuana law is (I shit you not) Senate Bill 420.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/03-04/bill/s ... tered.html

I choose to believe that a covert cell of stoners has infiltrated California government at the highest levels. They arranged SB420, they made the filing deadline for the 2012 legalization measures April 20, and they put Judge Jim Gray on the bench. Judging from how the state universities are run, it's safe to assume that somebody high up is smoking something.
--Shem

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 13 Mar 2012, 23:30

thoreau wrote:California's medical marijuana law is (I shit you not) Senate Bill 420.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/03-04/bill/s ... tered.html

I choose to believe that a covert cell of stoners has infiltrated California government at the highest levels. They arranged SB420, they made the filing deadline for the 2012 legalization measures April 20, and they put Judge Jim Gray on the bench. Judging from how the state universities are run, it's safe to assume that somebody high up is smoking something.
That seems a bit improbable.

More likely, this is merely a sign from God. Ockham's Razor.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Mar 2012, 09:23

The best part of waking up is Folger's in your cup spilling a large cup of hot chocolate down your leg.

These people never get old. Never.
Merriken said he believes we are all created in God’s image from the moment of conception and we are to be highly esteemed and special. The Theory of Evolution doesn’t explain where the Big Bang came from or how the first generation of life came to be, he said.
No shit, dumbfuck. It also doesn't explain electricity or those newfangled microwave ovens. What's your point?
Merriken said the biology assessment is biased against teaching students that they are created in the image of God and are descendants of Adam and Eve.
Actually, that's the first amendment and the fourteenth amendment that are biased against teaching public school students the Genesis story. Nice try, though. Also, the scientific conclusions based on the evidence are similarly biased. Go back to the llama farm and practice animal husbandry. Or, to paraphrase Woody Allen, be fruitful and multiply, but not literally.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Mar 2012, 09:32

Is this some sort of prank that this guy is a 'Merriken.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Mar 2012, 09:45

living in 'merrika, no less.

anyway i'm sure his pr campaign will bear fruit. (if he buys fruit from a local stand, that is)
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Mar 2012, 10:06

dhex wrote:anyway i'm sure his pr campaign will bear fruit. (boys from a local stand, that is)
How I read that the first time...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Mar 2012, 10:16

i would really enjoy the spectacle of someone angry about the teaching of evolution but up front about his appreciation for wildean flowers of youth, as it were. god and rent boys, cha cha cha.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Mar 2012, 04:38

dhex wrote:i would really enjoy the spectacle of someone angry about the teaching of evolution but up front about his appreciation for wildean flowers of youth, as it were. god and rent boys, cha cha cha.
I'm on a dating website, and one of the girls I had a match with is a bisexual catholic girl who's apparently had sex with dozens of guys. Except she apparently takes the "catholic" part really seriously. She put in her match questions that she considers contraception immoral. And one of the questions is "Is homsexuality a sin?" She answered: "Yes, it is. A sexy, sexy sin."

I didn't message her.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Mar 2012, 16:04

Jadagul wrote:
dhex wrote:i would really enjoy the spectacle of someone angry about the teaching of evolution but up front about his appreciation for wildean flowers of youth, as it were. god and rent boys, cha cha cha.
I'm on a dating website, and one of the girls I had a match with is a bisexual catholic girl who's apparently had sex with dozens of guys. Except she apparently takes the "catholic" part really seriously. She put in her match questions that she considers contraception immoral. And one of the questions is "Is homsexuality a sin?" She answered: "Yes, it is. A sexy, sexy sin."

I didn't message her.

Finally, someone to whom Jadagul can say, "I don't know what to say to that, bisexual über-Catholic girl."
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Mar 2012, 16:13

Wait, the President of an atheist organization is named Silverman? What's a nice Jewish boy like that doing going around dissing religion? Does he want to give his mother a heart attack?
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 16 Mar 2012, 16:14

Jadagul wrote:

I didn't message her.
Good move.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Mar 2012, 16:17

"Friendly" numbers is a useful concept so incompetently executed (and so inappropriate for the 1st grade) that it makes all attempts to experiment with the pre-Algebra math curricula look bad.

(And looking it up, the way I saw it used does not seem to be the actual definition of"Friendly numbers")

----

"Going pear-shaped" is something I understand the figurative meaning of, but not the literal meaning.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 16 Mar 2012, 17:14

Dammit, I forgot to clean and wear my new pi t-shirt for Pi-Day Wednesday.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 16 Mar 2012, 17:37

Um. If a girl says that she believes something sex-related is "immoral" or "sinful," you really need to clarify and ask, "But do you do it anyway?"
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Mar 2012, 18:08

WTF Baylor Basketball Uniform Equipment Manager?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Mar 2012, 18:23

Stevo Darkly wrote:Um. If a girl says that she believes something sex-related is "immoral" or "sinful," you really need to clarify and ask, "But do you do it anyway?"
And let us not forget, "So, if that's a sin, is there something filthier your conscience lets you do do instead?" #saddlebacking
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.