Pick Your Poisson

tr0g

Re: Pick Your Poisson

Post by tr0g » 12 Mar 2018, 14:31

Mo wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 14:18
The real question is, why is no one making a bigger deal out of the fact that a guy who can't even properly negotiate a hush money deal with a pr0n star is now engaging in direct nuclear negotiations with the Norks?
Lots of people I'm seeing are, but again, nobody cares. The pundit class is (justifiably, sometimes) freaking out about Trump, but most people seem to be all 'meh'. I've never had a good feel for the zeitgeist because I'm a reclusive anti-social weirdo, but I have lost all bearings right now. I have no idea how anyone is going to react to anything. It's weird.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 12 Mar 2018, 14:38

Mo wrote:
The real question is, why is no one making a bigger deal out of the fact that a guy who can't even properly negotiate a hush money deal with a pr0n star is now engaging in direct nuclear negotiations with the Norks?
That's, like, three levels of thought deeper than anyone is thinking about Trump.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Mar 2018, 15:00

Mo wrote:
Look, Mo, Trump had no idea his lawyer was negotiating that deal. No idea.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Aug 2018, 16:32

Hey, fellow HOA board lady, I'm sure a snarky "as per my previous email" feels good to type, but it's not really such a great idea when your previous email actually did not reference that topic in any way. (Which you should have noticed when you forwarded me a copy of said email just to underline your point.)
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Aug 2018, 16:36

She totally meant it, even if you couldn't read it that way! Even if she didn't say anything at all about that topic.

"I'm sorry, I was unable to determine that you were talking about X when you mentioned nothing about X in your previous email."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Sep 2018, 18:44

I canvassed today for a Congressional candidate in a nearby swing district. It's kind of a pointless exercise; nobody wants to talk to a canvasser, but I want to help and what the fuck else am I supposed to do?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Sep 2018, 17:09

So now people in MAGA hats want to repeal the 13th amendment‽
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Sep 2018, 17:22

Mo wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:09
So now people in MAGA hats want to repeal the 13th amendment‽
If he is talking specifically about the exception allowing involuntary servitude for prisoners, I'd agree.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Pick Your Poisson

Post by Mo » 30 Sep 2018, 18:02

Not sure Kanye is down with that sort of nuance. And I say that as someone who believes he is smarter than people give him credit for.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Nov 2018, 21:45

In one of my parenting groups, a mom mentioned her son is into My Little Pony but wasn't sure if he should call himself a "brony" in case it had sexual connotations. A bunch of other people chimed in that yes, they're pretty sure it's an X-rated term. Somebody suggested, as a non-sexual alternative, "ponyboy" :lol: :lol: :lol:
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Nov 2018, 00:16

Ellie wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 21:45
In one of my parenting groups, a mom mentioned her son is into My Little Pony but wasn't sure if he should call himself a "brony" in case it had sexual connotations. A bunch of other people chimed in that yes, they're pretty sure it's an X-rated term. Somebody suggested, as a non-sexual alternative, "ponyboy" :lol: :lol: :lol:
My mind.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Nov 2018, 00:34

Ellie wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I simply was not prepared for that last word.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2018, 01:46

giddyup
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Nov 2018, 13:06

Ellie wrote:
Where do you find these people???
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Nov 2018, 14:12

Minnesota, duh.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Nov 2018, 11:04

I don't get all those "How to win political arguments at Thanksgiving?" articles that the internet spews forth every year. National politics is, like, the least divisive topic my family could discuss. The topics we're REALLY afraid of are "Why aren't you returning my calls?", "Why is money missing from Grandma's account?", "Gee, I wonder why their kids turned out that way?" and "Oh, god, the hypochondriac is at it again."

Oh, and "She's been saying for 20 years that she's going to start that business. Yeah, this is totally the year that she'll do it. Right."
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Nov 2018, 11:21

Now see. With my family, we have heated arguments about everything. Politics, religion, what you're wearing, it doesn't matter. Whatever the topic of conversation, we're going to argue about it. It will be loud. Your intelligence will be disparaged. We try to keep cursing to a minimum and acts of violence are forbidden. And we LIKE IT. Even more than the food, that's the reason we gathering together in the first place. It's not an ordeal, it's performance art. And at no point is it ever in question that we love each other.

I don't understand families that don't argue. The whole concept of small talk and polite conversation has been a bane to me my whole life. Having to "mind your manners", "sit up straight", "respect your elders", "chew with your mouth closed", "speak only when you're spoken to", these are the things that make for a trying afternoon and put me off my food.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Nov 2018, 11:32

thoreau wrote:I don't get all those "How to win political arguments at Thanksgiving?" articles that the internet spews forth every year. National politics is, like, the least divisive topic my family could discuss. The topics we're REALLY afraid of are "Why aren't you returning my calls?", "Why is money missing from Grandma's account?", "Gee, I wonder why their kids turned out that way?" and "Oh, god, the hypochondriac is at it again."

Oh, and "She's been saying for 20 years that she's going to start that business. Yeah, this is totally the year that she'll do it. Right."
People who take trump end times seriously are struggling more than usual because everyone who sounds like mom is a nazi. It’s super important for mom not to be a nazi.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Nov 2018, 12:01

JasonL wrote:
thoreau wrote:I don't get all those "How to win political arguments at Thanksgiving?" articles that the internet spews forth every year. National politics is, like, the least divisive topic my family could discuss. The topics we're REALLY afraid of are "Why aren't you returning my calls?", "Why is money missing from Grandma's account?", "Gee, I wonder why their kids turned out that way?" and "Oh, god, the hypochondriac is at it again."

People who take trump end times seriously are struggling more than usual because everyone who sounds like mom is a nazi. It’s super important for mom not to be a nazi.
Hence the articles on how white women need to get other white women to become woke. Because then mom won't be a Nazi.

Fortunately, there are no articles telling white men to convert anyone. We can hang out in the living room and shoot the breeze with our cousins and uncles. While the women are doing the emotional labor of persuading mom to not be a Nazi.
--Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Nov 2018, 15:28

When did arguing for someone to not be a nazi become so hard? As usual, I blame the boomer generation.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Nov 2018, 16:54

When literally everyone who doesn't agree with 100% of your views is a nazi, it gets hard man.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 21 Nov 2018, 18:09

JasonL wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 16:54
When literally everyone who doesn't agree with 100% of your views is a nazi, it gets hard man.
^^^^ Fucking Nazi
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Nov 2018, 19:44

thoreau wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 11:04
I don't get all those "How to win political arguments at Thanksgiving?" articles
Where are the writers of these articles? I need to crack a few people upside the head.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Nov 2018, 21:47

JasonL wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 16:54
I really don't need to hear about your kink tho
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Nov 2018, 01:59

You guys I'm...not sure Donald Trump is the problem here
But we started having these meetings. We decided to have a march to protest this Muslim ban. All of a sudden, I was in charge of a march for 1,000 people. I bought poster board, we made signs in Starbucks. The day of the march, I said to Geoffrey, “Hey, come with me.” He said, “No, that’s okay — how much money did you spend on that poster board?”
Also, the activism I do is very gendered. Again, I’d describe my husband as a feminist, but he doesn’t want to be the only dude in the room. Which bleeds into why I’ve never thought, Maybe I should just stop all this and save my marriage. That would teach our kids something I don’t want to teach them. It almost feels like the 2018 version of the woman who gives up her career to stay home.
So there’s a fair amount of anger that’s grown over the years, and that is definitely my de facto mode. I am trying to get rid of it through therapy. I don’t particularly think it’s healthy. But he has much less understanding about where all this comes from. For him, it’s a huge learning curve. It hasn’t broken up our marriage. But the rage that I feel, the toxicity I exhibit is something he often doesn’t understand.
I’m Anglo and he’s Hispanic and has family who are not legal. I also grew up more upper class, and he grew up poor economically. We’re both registered Democrats, but honestly he’s apolitical. If it weren’t for me saying when we both got driver’s licenses, “You will register to vote,” he wouldn’t have registered.
Recently we had some friends over for dinner, and we had an argument about whether this kind of trial by mob that’s happened in the press is unfair. My friends, a man and a woman, took the position that a man shouldn’t have his reputation ruined because of an allegation. I disagreed, and as the conversation kept going, I got upset. Finally I said that it’s obvious none of them had been sexually assaulted, and I think that the statistics bear out that women never get due process when they’ve accused someone. My line is, cultural change is like a steamroller. It flattens distinctions, and some people will get hurt, and I’m okay with that.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul