Pick Your Poisson

Mo

Re: Pick Your Poisson

Post by Mo » 29 Nov 2017, 12:16

JasonL wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 12:13
Euros use that logic to drag google into court- good idea?
All court cases are not equal.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Nov 2017, 12:53

There's this creeping thing spreading across the globe that the most innovative space in modern economies needs to be treated like the least innovative services in the history of the world. I think the trend is bad, I think people don't know what they are talking about most of the time, and certainly not what might be coming down the system of tubes in the future, and I want regulators to get tf out of there and let stuff happen. The amount of harms for any of the delivery abuses you want to name is to me completely trivial compared to having to beg for permission to do anything over the protestations of protected monopolies serving (ugh) 'the public interest'.

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Nov 2017, 12:55

Scraping someone else's ranking and content and presenting it as your own ranking is innovative in the millennials invented roommates sort of way. Letting practices like that flourish harms innovation more.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Nov 2017, 13:14

Mo wrote:Scraping someone else's ranking and content and presenting it as your own ranking is innovative in the millennials invented roommates sort of way. Letting practices like that flourish harms innovation more.
Dude, co-living will change EVERYTHING!!! I saw an ad on social media saying so!
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Nov 2017, 13:27

Mo wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 12:55
Scraping someone else's ranking and content and presenting it as your own ranking is innovative in the millennials invented roommates sort of way. Letting practices like that flourish harms innovation more.
Depends on the implications of not letting them flourish - like everyone having to say "mother may I" on their knees in front of the High Commission of Internet Purity.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Nov 2017, 13:47

If our choices were "monopoly ISPs with NN regulations" or "free market in ISPs with no NN," I'd definitely pick the latter. But those are NOT the choices we face; the choice is "monopoly ISP with NN" or "monopoly ISP free to do pretty much what it wants." Given those two choices, I don't see how the latter option is supposed to be better, from a consumerist or a libertarian/personal-freedom angle.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Nov 2017, 17:12

Because NN comes with a billion other regulations and specifically empowers regulators to have their nose in everything forever and that's a mistake.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Nov 2017, 17:22

JasonL wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 17:12
Because NN comes with a billion other regulations and specifically empowers regulators to have their nose in everything forever and that's a mistake.
Other than the idea "anything government-related must be worse than anything corporate-related," why is an ordinary everyday internet user like me supposed to think "Letting Comcast charge for fast and slow lanes (fast access to Comcast-approved stuff, slow access otherwise)" is better than letting the government tell Comcast to knock it off and treat all content equally? And remember: I am asking this in the specific context of "Comcast sucks but I do NOT have the option to take my business elsewhere, because they have a monopoly." If I want internet, Comcast is my only option.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Dec 2017, 21:34

Writing a little bit of Python code to simplify a task that needs to be done in 3 months is a nice way to procrastinate from a task that has to be done before Christmas.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 Dec 2017, 22:34

I'd really like to know what is happening right now over on Earth-2.

Has the Second Clinton Impeachment trial begun yet?

Is the Judiciary Committee still blocking her appointment of Elizabeth Warren to Scalia's still-vacant seat?

Is her expansion of Title IX to mandate Privilege Awareness Courses for all students entering college going to survive the Supreme Court challenge?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Jan 2018, 09:36

More time has passed since this "Wear Suncreen" video was posted on youtube and the present day, than between when the original essay was published and the video was posted on youtube.

(prompted by this article saying that DC public schools are going to make it ok to wear sunscreen without a doctor's note, which prompted a nostalgia push to watch the video, and prompting the response, 'man, there was some good advice in there')
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Feb 2018, 17:02

Saw a link to a blog by someone named Romy in London, UK, except it gave the name in all caps, ROMYLONDONUK, and I was staring at it wondering "what's a rohm-ill-on-dun-ook?"
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Feb 2018, 01:05

Leslie Jones' Olympics commentary is fine as far as it goes, but some people in my Twitter feed are acting like she's the most amazing thing ever.
--Fin Fang Foom

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Feb 2018, 10:19

She's no Johnny Weir

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Feb 2018, 12:09

On Twitter it is interesting to see how many neocons, #NeverTrumper-ers, and anti-SJWs (overlapping groups, to be sure) are in favor of gun control.
--Fin Fang Foom