01 Feb 2018, 22:09
Shem wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 16:32
Andrew wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 10:35
nicole wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 09:37
Tfw it's okay to be evil now
Well, they already were doing business with China...
If you have to tell people you're not evil, that right there is already a good sign that you'll be drowning puppies the second someone tells you it'll give you a competitive advantage. It's like how every headline that's a question can be answered with "no."
What about the headline: "Study: Can every headline that's a question be answered with "no"?"
That's a statement, not a question.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jadagul

Re: Random news finds

Post by Jadagul » 01 Feb 2018, 23:47

Drum wrote a post a few days ago that violated Betteridge's law, but he mentioned that he specifically did that to violate the rule. So that was cheating.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Feb 2018, 00:38

Jadagul wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 23:47
Drum wrote a post a few days ago that violated Betteridge's law, but he mentioned that he specifically did that to violate the rule. So that was cheating.
I say the answer to the question is 'No".
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Feb 2018, 14:56

Aresen wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 00:38
Jadagul wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 23:47
I say the answer to the question is 'No".
Yeah, he failed a cheating.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Feb 2018, 11:12

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Feb 2018, 11:24

Something similar happened in Fargo when I was in college. A group of people wanted to rob a bank and knew that the alarm system for the bank was routed through a bundle of wires running under a bridge. The took a chainsaw to the whole bundle and cut a 2 foot section out. Not only did they take out the bank's alarm system, but also the university's T3 and the US President's red phone to Russia.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Feb 2018, 22:18

pistoffnick wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 11:24
Something similar happened in Fargo when I was in college. A group of people wanted to rob a bank and knew that the alarm system for the bank was routed through a bundle of wires running under a bridge. The took a chainsaw to the whole bundle and cut a 2 foot section out. Not only did they take out the bank's alarm system, but also the university's T3 and the US President's red phone to Russia.
I am having trouble believing that last part simply because I think it would be at least triply redundant.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Feb 2018, 23:04

Aresen wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 22:18
pistoffnick wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 11:24
I am having trouble believing that last part simply because I think it would be at least triply redundant.
It was built by the lowest bidder. But only after review by Top. Men.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 18 Feb 2018, 14:14

As a goodwill gesture, Carnival said, passengers who made it through the cruise have been offered a 25-percent-off coupon for their next one.
A Carnival cruise in the South Pacific descended into violent anarchy
http://wapo.st/2odUn3v

(With video at the link!)

"Fuck yeah, 'Stralya, cunts!"

Or:

"Maybe Ponant instead?"

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Feb 2018, 14:22

They give a 25% coupon for anything. My co-worker just got that coupon for a cruise where they had to skip Aruba due to weather out of New York.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Feb 2018, 18:08

"The trouble started after the Carnival Legend, which can carry more than 2,000 people, set sail from Melbourne..."

oh.

do the human biodiversity people run hard with the australia thing because genetic criminals or not because whitey?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 Feb 2018, 19:30

Its a land of criminals and malcontents, dammit! Even the fauna are trying to kill on sight.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Feb 2018, 12:56

The problem with these gigantic cruise liners nowadays is that the steerage passengers feel like they have rights.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Feb 2018, 14:21

Looks like the ax is finally falling on douche-bag high score Billy Mitchell
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Feb 2018, 10:18

Khosla probably should Google Streisand Effect. Also, I see no way how Khosla can win this, as there is no government taking involved here. If he owned the property pre-1972, I could see a case being made.However, he bought the property in 2008, and therefore with his eyes wide open about the Coastal Commission and regulations. States owning various rights of way and easements is old AF in common law and pretty common (e.g. mineral rights in Texas).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Feb 2018, 10:37

Mo wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 10:18
Khosla probably should Google Streisand Effect. Also, I see no way how Khosla can win this, as there is no government taking involved here. If he owned the property pre-1972, I could see a case being made.However, he bought the property in 2008, and therefore with his eyes wide open about the Coastal Commission and regulations. States owning various rights of way and easements is old AF in common law and pretty common (e.g. mineral rights in Texas).
I thought there was federal law which says, in effect, that property lines can only extend to a certain distance from the high water mark.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Feb 2018, 10:52

There's a more specific California law about how far that extends, as well as access and other regulations that can be implemented by the CCC. Some of the beaches, were grandfathered in as private.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 23 Feb 2018, 13:22

dhex wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 18:08
"The trouble started after the Carnival Legend, which can carry more than 2,000 people, set sail from Melbourne..."

oh.

do the human biodiversity people run hard with the australia thing because genetic criminals or not because whitey?
John Oliver had a pretty good line the other night: "Australia, which is 70% uninhabitable because of desert, and 30% uninhabitable because of Australians..."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Aug 2018, 13:44

We're losing the War on Drugs, Chapter Infinity...

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 05 May 2019, 13:37

Bartender charged after serving intoxicated mass shooter

I'm always unsure what to think of these sorts of laws, but certainly something that bugs me is the selective enforcement aspect. I mean, bartenders serve wasted drunk people *every damn day*. I'm curious if anyone has tended bar- do employers support you if you cut someone off, or is there pressure to keep serving? Seems like most bartenders face the prospect of just hoping on faith no one you serve ends up committing a crime after, which seems like a poor plan considering you have no control over it.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 May 2019, 14:18

dead_elvis wrote:
05 May 2019, 13:37

I'm always unsure what to think of these sorts of laws, but certainly something that bugs me is the selective enforcement aspect. I mean, bartenders serve wasted drunk people *every damn day*. I'm curious if anyone has tended bar- do employers support you if you cut someone off, or is there pressure to keep serving? Seems like most bartenders face the prospect of just hoping on faith no one you serve ends up committing a crime after, which seems like a poor plan considering you have no control over it.
I've never worked in a bar, but I've drank in a few. From what I've seen, it's a business model decision. If the clientele are rowdy college students, if you can stand up, speak clearly, and aren't breaking/hitting stuff, you will be served. If it's a quiet businessman's lounge, they'll cut you off after a handful of drinks.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 May 2019, 18:43

Warren wrote:
05 May 2019, 14:18
dead_elvis wrote:
05 May 2019, 13:37

If it's a quiet businessman's lounge, they'll cut you off after a handful of drinks.
No we won't. We'll get the manager to talk to him and force the manager to do his job.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 May 2019, 19:12

That's what I meant
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 May 2019, 14:17

China’s Latest Crackdown Target Is Liberal Economists
Around 10 a.m. one day last summer, a low-ranking government official visited the offices of China’s most prominent free-market think tank to lodge a complaint. The scholars of the Unirule Institute of Economics were being too loud for the neighbors, the official said, and should consider finding an alternative place of business.

It was an odd allegation to make against a group whose idea of a wild night out might include a vigorous discussion of Hayek’s minor works, but no one at Unirule was surprised. For months, the organization had been harassed at its converted western Beijing apartment by a rotating cast of angry visitors: a landlord claiming it was violating the terms of its lease, tax collectors demanding to inspect financial records, bureaucrats citing violations of unspecified municipal regulations.
Last November, the state finally made clear to Sheng what it thought of him and his fellow free marketeers. He was at Beijing’s main airport, checking in for a flight to Boston, where he’d been invited to speak at a Harvard symposium marking the 40th anniversary of China’s economic liberalization. When he tried to scan his documents at the automatic passport-control gate, it refused to open. Confused, Sheng asked a border officer for an explanation. After consulting a computer, the man delivered the news: By order of the State Council, Sheng had been banned from leaving the country. He was considered a threat to national security.
Among researchers and government officials who might otherwise publicly question policy, these measures are having a predictable effect. “Very few younger economists are now willing to criticize the macro picture,” says Victor Shih, a professor at the University of California at San Diego who studies Chinese banking and fiscal policies. In private, “there’s still a debate, but none of them would ever put these thoughts into a journal article.” Such repression is of course damaging China’s scholarly output. But it could have broader consequences, too. The fear is that, with investors essentially forced to take the Communist Party’s word on the state of the economy, unseen distortions could build up until a crisis arrives. And a crisis for China’s economy would be a crisis for the world.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 May 2019, 23:41

You'd figure one would want a threat to national security as far away from your nation as possible, not trapped inside.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex