Random news finds

the innominate one

Re: Random news finds

Post by the innominate one » 03 Nov 2017, 11:01

I thought you lived in Chicago.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Nov 2017, 11:07

the innominate one wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:01
I thought you lived in Chicago.
Wikipedia wrote:DNAinfo was an online news service that focused on neighborhood news in New York City and Chicago. It was closed down by CEO and owner Joe Ricketts in November 2017 after writers in its New York branch voted to unionize, a move to which Ricketts was opposed.[1]
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Nov 2017, 11:11

Good to know. Or not, since it's closed and I live neither place.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Nov 2017, 11:40

Did Ricketts open himself to a union retaliation lawsuit? Supposedly Gothamist was profitable.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Nov 2017, 11:41

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company/shittier pizza.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Nov 2017, 11:53

Mo wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:41
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company/shittier pizza.
Herman Cain is sad.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Nov 2017, 12:36

Mo wrote:
C'mon. There are shittier pizzas. Greasysaltwafer Hut, for one.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Nov 2017, 12:40

Has their quality gone down? I really liked Papa John's in the late 90s. Domino's has gotten better over the years.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Nov 2017, 12:41

Pizza Hut pan pizza is better than Papa Johns. #noshame

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Nov 2017, 12:51

Mo wrote:
Shitty? Back when I could eat pizza that was one of the best pizzas out there. They had a good oily but not too oily balance most other pizza places couldn't get right. I loved the sausage they used. Their garlic sauce was fantastic. It also tasted great cold or reheated with a stove.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Nov 2017, 12:54

Mo wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 12:41
Pizza Hut pan pizza is better than Papa Johns. #noshame
I wouldn't know. I won't eat the filthy pan motherfucker.

Seriously, the thing comes out fried rather than baked, and that's just creepy to my taste buds. One's mileage varies, naturally.

In the straight pizza world, Papa John's tastes like pizza but with a slightly offputting flavor to the sauce, and subpar crust. Pizza Hut literally has the underside of the crust come out with a fried texture rather than a baked texture. Their sauce is undeniably superior to PJ's, but they apply it in an undetectable film between their overly salted and greasy crust and the not particularly good cheese. If you remember to ask for extra sauce and they remember to actually do it, the whole experience gets better, but you shouldn't have to ask for it. And that still doesn't fix the friedness of the crust.

Pan pizza is delicious when it's made like an actual pie like actual places in Chicago and Milwaukee. It should be a completely different thing than traditional American pizza, not just a super bready thing with no extra sauce, cheese, or toppings.

Painboy: Their sausage seems to have gone downhill, or maybe I've gotten used to better toppings from the local cheap-delivery-pizza chain (that also offers green chiles as a topping, which 1000 elephants of betterness than bell peppers). BTW, I'm sorry that you can't eat pizza anymore, because damn that's not OK. Pizza is joy, and I hate the cruelty of the universe that's fucking that up for you.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Nov 2017, 12:58

I like Pizza Hut hand tossed.

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Nov 2017, 13:01

Obligatory "can't we all just get along?" post:

I like all of those kinds of pizza. Plus Little Caesar's, local thin crusts, and homemade gluten free, and pretty much every kind of pizza.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Nov 2017, 13:05

the innominate one wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 12:58
I like Pizza Hut hand tossed.
Yeah, but this is where I wish they'd lose the greased pan. It makes sense for their pan pizza, but for the hand tossed it just gives it a weird texture that's not right for a mainstream pizza.
Highway wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 13:01
Obligatory "can't we all just get along?" post:

I like all of those kinds of pizza. Plus Little Caesar's, local thin crusts, and homemade gluten free, and pretty much every kind of pizza.

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Nov 2017, 13:07

L dub is thinking about getting some kind of special hot oven so we can make pizza because commercial offerings here are so unbelievably shitty.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 03 Nov 2017, 14:48

Fortunately we have a very good local option for delivery, as well as a number of nearby restaurants.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Nov 2017, 14:57

nicole wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 13:07
L dub is thinking about getting some kind of special hot oven so we can make pizza because commercial offerings here are so unbelievably shitty.
One of those wood pellet things?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Nov 2017, 15:20

We have been using GrubHub to find decent delivery stuff, and that has included some places with pretty good NY-style (AKA bog-standard American) pizza (as opposed to New York pizza which is pizza made in and around New York that is considered not shitty by New Yorkers). Now there's a competing pizza-only site/app called Slice (slicelife.com) that we use for one of our favorite places that does good delivery pizza and also has good salads and lasagna and calzones. It solves the problem that mrs lunch likes Pizza Hut and I find it horribly disappointing, while I love the local cheapo-chain Blackjack (because of the aforementioned green chile option plus green olives in addition to black olives, with the green olives having much better olive flavor) and she finds it too greasy and something something. We used to compromise on Papa John's but recently we've switched to the local place we can get through Slice.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 Nov 2017, 18:46

Do you eat a pizza with green chilis, green olives, and black olives? Why not just eat a box if kosher salt?
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Nov 2017, 19:22

Pizza Hut hand tossed is acceptable. Pizza Hut pan pizza is pig slop.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 Nov 2017, 19:41

The thing about the big pizza chains is that they could probably make legitimately good pizza if they tried, unlike fast food places, which have menus that are too extensive. Cost might go up, but Domino's, for example, while not really good, doesn't make me want to die when I eat it, like it did a few years ago.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Nov 2017, 21:23

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 18:46
Do you eat a pizza with green chilis, green olives, and black olives? Why not just eat a box if kosher salt?
No black olives.

And the roasted chiles don't seem all that salty. The green olives are salty as shit, but not so salty that you can't taste the other stuff.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 Nov 2017, 21:26

I was thinking it was both kinds of olives.

Along with anchovies and capers!

(Anchovy pizza is actually good, just as long as they put like one or two anchovies per slice.)

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Nov 2017, 21:52

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 21:26
I was thinking it was both kinds of olives.

Along with anchovies and capers!

(Anchovy pizza is actually good, just as long as they put like one or two anchovies per slice.)
Yep, and only use white anchovies.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Nov 2017, 22:00

Pizza Hut is good because it tastes like elementary school perfect attendance.