Re: Random news finds

Post by Jennifer » 08 Nov 2017, 16:42

JD wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:32
Jake wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:12
dbcooper wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 06:56
Wallace, the reporter for New York, said that he was suspicious when he received the call from the Black Cube operative using the pseudonym Anna, because Weinstein had already requested a meeting with Wallace; Adam Moss, the editor-in-chief of New York; David Boies; and a representative from Kroll. The intention, Wallace assumed, was to “come in with dossiers slagging various women and me.” Moss declined the meeting.
Oh, those poor semicolons. I want to adopt them and nurse them back to health... that author is a monster.
Well, semicolons can be used in a list of items which individually contain colons, so it's not wrong, but it's still ugly.
Especially since it could easily be rewritten to remove the need for semicolon, by changing only one clause: "...had already requested a meeting with Wallace, New York editor-in-chief Adam Moss, David Boies, and a representative from Kroll."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Nov 2017, 00:56

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 09 Nov 2017, 01:01

She then presides over a small group of slaves, who in turn must recruit their own set of slaves or else face corporeal punishment
At least they don't face spiritual punishment?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Nov 2017, 01:23

I hope that was intentional from the editor.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Nov 2017, 06:10

If not there should be major consequences and anyone involved should be generally alarmed, albeit in private.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Nov 2017, 12:24

Plagiarists are fucking maniacs

https://thewalrus.ca/new-plagiarism-acc ... -bialosky/

Hope she goes down this time
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Nov 2017, 12:49

nicole wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 12:24

Plagiarists rarely confess their sin, the worst a writer can commit. Almost all, when caught, make excuses. The most common are: (1) everyone does it, (2) it’s not really plagiarism, (3) any similarities are slight or irrelevant, (4) I forgot to cite the sources, (5) quotation marks and citations were accidentally removed, (6) the passages are only a small part of the book, (7) I unconsciously memorized the original, (8) my researcher is to blame, (9) drinking, drugs, or mental illness is to blame, and (10) the critic who caught me is to blame.
Excuses 2 and 3 may be entirely valid. And I could give a pass for 6 and 7 as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Nov 2017, 13:01

6 and 7 are both unforgivable for a publisher, writer, and editor. she's not new to this.

6 is a bad excuse because plagiarism works on a one drop rule.

7 is a bad excuse because the fuck, yo.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 10 Nov 2017, 13:07

I live in fear of cryptomnesia when I'm writing.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Nov 2017, 13:11

a healthy fear of that is good, mang.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Nov 2017, 13:14

I could buy a sentence or two. But then, nobody calls plagiarism on that. It's just a reference.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Nov 2017, 13:14

Warren wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 12:49
nicole wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 12:24

Plagiarists rarely confess their sin, the worst a writer can commit. Almost all, when caught, make excuses. The most common are: (1) everyone does it, (2) it’s not really plagiarism, (3) any similarities are slight or irrelevant, (4) I forgot to cite the sources, (5) quotation marks and citations were accidentally removed, (6) the passages are only a small part of the book, (7) I unconsciously memorized the original, (8) my researcher is to blame, (9) drinking, drugs, or mental illness is to blame, and (10) the critic who caught me is to blame.
Excuses 2 and 3 may be entirely valid. And I could give a pass for 6 and 7 as well.
I can definitely give a pass to 7 -- in very small doses. I know at least once I inadvertently did that -- an earlier draft of the book I'm kinda-sorta working on (the story of the dead woman who can't get into heaven because a pickpocket stole her entrance-ticket) had a working title "Life is Wasted on the Living," which I figured was my own original takeoff of "Youth is wasted on the young" -- until I re-read Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series and was horrified to find that exact sentence coming from the mouth of a dead-ghost character.

But that was a single six-word punchline, NOT something like "Whoops, I unconsciously plagiarized several paragraphs or even several pages' worth of material verbatim." Bullshit.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Nov 2017, 13:26

Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 13:14
I could buy a sentence or two. But then, nobody calls plagiarism on that. It's just a reference.
I think once you get beyond about 10 consecutive words, there's no coincidental reuse, just copying.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Nov 2017, 13:52

Mo wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 13:26
Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 13:14
I think once you get beyond about 10 consecutive words, there's no coincidental reuse, just copying.
Beyond ten sounds a reasonable threshold. Something like Jennifer's example sounds inevitable (and I'm almost certain I've seen it in a number of other places), as it's a straightforward riff on an old saying in a given context. I'm sure people have re-invented it who've never read Adams, much less years before.

On the other hand, in context, you can riff off of a famous quote, but you don't make excuses for that, because you're not hiding it. Especially if it's a gag. Semi-famous example:

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." William Gibson, Neuromancer.

""The sky was the perfect untroubled blue of a television screen, tuned to a dead channel." Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Nov 2017, 14:02

Not a writer but I don't understand why she couldn't just put the passages in quotes as is. Was it just being lazy, or would it have made her look bad or something?

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Nov 2017, 14:14

Painboy wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 14:02
Not a writer but I don't understand why she couldn't just put the passages in quotes as is. Was it just being lazy, or would it have made her look bad or something?
Cause then the plagiarist can't take credit for the phrases until they're revealed as plagiarism. The "I forgot the quotes" thing is pretty much an after-the-fact attempt at justification.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Nov 2017, 14:31

Highway wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 14:14
Painboy wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 14:02
Cause then the plagiarist can't take credit for the phrases until they're revealed as plagiarism. The "I forgot the quotes" thing is pretty much an after-the-fact attempt at justification.
But it's not as if the stuff she copied was particularly notable writing. Most of that stuff he highlighted seemed pretty much rote description.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 10 Nov 2017, 14:34

So it appears there has been a minor nuclear accident in Russia or Kazakhstan, it may be Mayak:

http://www.irsn.fr/EN/newsroom/News/Pag ... tions.aspx
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 10 Nov 2017, 15:27

the innominate one wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 13:07
I live in fear of cryptomnesia when I'm writing.
I have it even worse for music. Plus you will get sued for even a brief quote of another melody.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Nov 2017, 08:55

Now George Takei is being accused of not merely sexual harassment, but sexual assault.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 Nov 2017, 09:25

Oh, my.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Nov 2017, 09:47

How long before we take notice of men for not sexually assaulting anyone?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Nov 2017, 10:27

the innominate one wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 08:55
Now George Takei is being accused of not merely sexual harassment, but sexual assault.
That's a story that snuck up from behind.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Nov 2017, 10:34

That's not how you load warp torpedoes!

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Random news finds

Post by Sandy » 11 Nov 2017, 13:20

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren