Random news finds

Painboy

Re: Random news finds

Post by Painboy » 29 Oct 2017, 23:50

Warren wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 23:21
Painboy wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 23:15
So if we mix things up is it possible to stitch together a tolerable party from these groups?
No. I don't know what "New Era Enterprisers" believe, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter to the question.
From the article:
4. New Era Enterprisers
11 percent of the country, 17 percent of Republicans, 16 percent of the most engaged Republicans

They are:

Youngest of the Republican-leaning categories, with an average age of 47
Optimistic about the country — they are the most likely group to believe the next generation will be better off
Pro-business and trade (they're globalists, too), of the belief that the economy is generally fair to most Americans (75 percent say so)
Of the belief that being involved around the globe is good for markets
Socially liberal — believing immigrants are not a burden and that homosexuality should not be discouraged by society
Somewhat more diverse — two-thirds are white, but that's the lowest of all other GOP-leaning groups

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2017, 00:29

Well now. That does sound promising. Still they smell of crony capitalism.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Oct 2017, 09:36

They are the only thing in that list I'm close to.

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Oct 2017, 09:49

I'm taking the quiz to see which is supposedly closest to me and so far none of the answers fits my opinion very well at all.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Oct 2017, 09:53

Lol and I'm apparently a "market-skeptical Republican"
Pew wrote:Critical of many major institutions and government, Market Skeptic Republicans mostly identify with, or lean toward, the GOP. They stand out from other Republican-oriented groups in their negative views of the economic system: An overwhelming majority say it “unfairly favors powerful interests.” Most also say businesses make too much profit, and they are the most likely Republican-leaning group to want to raise taxes on corporations (55%). They are similar to other GOP-leaning groups in their skepticism about the social safety net.
I did pick the "unfairly favors powerful interests" choice, mostly because for every other question I was picking the "conservative" line and there wasn't really anywhere to say "BTdubs we don't have a free market."

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Oct 2017, 10:10

nicole wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 09:53
Pew wrote:Critical of many major institutions and government, Market Skeptic Republicans mostly identify with, or lean toward, the GOP. They stand out from other Republican-oriented groups in their negative views of the economic system: An overwhelming majority say it “unfairly favors powerful interests.” Most also say businesses make too much profit, and they are the most likely Republican-leaning group to want to raise taxes on corporations (55%). They are similar to other GOP-leaning groups in their skepticism about the social safety net.
I did pick the "unfairly favors powerful interests" choice, mostly because for every other question I was picking the "conservative" line and there wasn't really anywhere to say "BTdubs we don't have a free market."
Also the fact that the questions are binary is really bad.

FTR, I'm an Opportunity Democrat.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Oct 2017, 10:42

Mo wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 10:10
nicole wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 09:53
Also the fact that the questions are binary is really bad.

FTR, I'm an Opportunity Democrat.
I think my favorite binary was "do you think the government should spend more on the poor? yes, they should go into debt/no, we can't afford it." How about, yes, take the defense budget and spend it on the poor?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Oct 2017, 10:48

It's bad for other reasons, too. Some dichotomies aren't mutually exclusive views and some of the choices mix judgments about perceptions with preferences.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 30 Oct 2017, 11:40

Jasper wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 16:24
Yep, my initial reaction as well. Dude, stay and fight against these assholes!

But I guess he's doing shitty in the polls and he doesn't think he'd be effective in the party in its current condition.
He's going to primary Trump, if Trump is still there.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Oct 2017, 11:44

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Oct 2017, 15:54

Shem wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 11:40
Jasper wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 16:24
Yep, my initial reaction as well. Dude, stay and fight against these assholes!

But I guess he's doing shitty in the polls and he doesn't think he'd be effective in the party in its current condition.
He's going to primary Trump, if Trump is still there.
There are several ways that Trump could leave (not including impeachment):
1) I've done what I set out to do."
2) "Health reasons"
3) "It's all Congress' fault."
4) "You don't deserve me."

However, if he does run in 2020, the primary field will either be flooded by angry GOP rebels or the usual deference to a sitting president will prevail. If the field is thin, any quasi-serious candidate is going to get a lot of quiet money flowing his/her way.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2017, 19:45

The last time the incumbent decided not to run we got Nixon.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Oct 2017, 19:49

Warren wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 19:45
You have a point. Every time I think 'Nobody can be worse than this', the electorate proves me wrong.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Oct 2017, 21:56

Aresen wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 19:49
Warren wrote:
You have a point. Every time I think 'Nobody can be worse than this', the electorate proves me wrong.
Fuck. We're going to get the Green Party, aren't we?

Or, even worse, the LP guy that everyone just nominated for shits and giggles.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Oct 2017, 22:59

Warren wrote:
No matter the name on the ticket, we're getting Nixon. We always get Nixon.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Nov 2017, 11:27

omg this is fucking delicious, DELICIOUS

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Nov 2017, 11:37

nicole wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:27
omg this is fucking delicious, DELICIOUS

And he's resigned from Renaissance.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Nov 2017, 11:40

"I'm distancing myself from the olive oil business by selling my stake to my son Michael" - Vito Corleone.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 11:59

Kolohe wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:40
"I'm distancing myself from the olive oil business by selling my stake to my son Michael" - Vito Corleone.
The same way Eric and Junior are running The Trump Organization without any discussion with daddy.

Also:

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 02 Nov 2017, 15:47

"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 17:23

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Nov 2017, 23:40

the innominate one wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 17:23
Gothamist is closing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/nyre ... -down.html
Gothamist was great.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Nov 2017, 09:54

So was DNAInfo.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Nov 2017, 10:53

I know little of either, just that nyc folk here would post links to the former.

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Nov 2017, 10:58

DNAInfo was neighborhood news. My most important source of local news for sure.