dbcooper

Random news finds

Post by dbcooper » 27 Feb 2012, 18:27

From Ohio.

http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.d ... -bomb.html
Mon 11:55 am: School bus searched for bomb
February 27, 2012
Tribune Chronicle , Tribune Chronicle | TribToday.com

WARREN A Warren city school bus was searched this morning for a bomb after a man approached the bus and indicated he represented a group that blows up school buses when no students are aboard, school officials said.

Police were called and they searched the bus, but found no bomb.

The bus, a Community Bus Services bus, was on a Warren City Schools Special Education route.

The man was dressed in camouflage and said he represented the IRA (Irish Republican Army).
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Re: Random news finds

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Feb 2012, 18:30

I don't know what's more disturbing, the idea of people blowing up school buses without provocation, or the fact that there is a town named after Warren.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Feb 2012, 18:34

Hugh Akston wrote:I don't know what's more disturbing, the idea of people blowing up school buses without provocation
Maybe the attacker was a CIA operative who thought there was a Reuters journalist on-board.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Feb 2012, 18:38

dbcooper wrote:From Ohio.

http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.d ... -bomb.html
Mon 11:55 am: School bus searched for bomb
February 27, 2012
Tribune Chronicle , Tribune Chronicle | TribToday.com

WARREN A Warren city school bus was searched this morning for a bomb after a man approached the bus and indicated he represented a group that blows up school buses when no students are aboard, school officials said.

Police were called and they searched the bus, but found no bomb.

The bus, a Community Bus Services bus, was on a Warren City Schools Special Education route.

The man was dressed in camouflage and said he represented the IRA (Irish Republican Army).
Are they absolutely sure that IRA stood for Irish Republican Army?

This guy sounds a few o-rings looser than a Challenger booster rocket.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Feb 2012, 19:48

he represented a group that blows up school buses when no students are aboard
These special interests are just out of control, I tell ya.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 27 Feb 2012, 19:57

:)
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 27 Feb 2012, 20:01

Where's the fun in that?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Feb 2012, 00:47

I bet it's MeMe Roth or some similarly obnoxious anti-obesity extremist, plotting to force kids to walk to school.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Feb 2012, 02:49

the innominate one wrote:
Where's the fun in that?
Yeah, if you blow up the school buses how are you going to get the kids locked up every morning?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Feb 2012, 02:00

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Feb 2012, 07:08

Man, the Pentagon is really has got to get a hold of its waste disposal procedures http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02 ... on-report/
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Mar 2012, 12:39

via Radley Balko, this is something that would definitely be invented by Japanese.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/27620/
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Mar 2012, 15:33

Highway wrote:via Radley Balko, this is something that would definitely be invented by Japanese.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/27620/
That should work for about a minute, or less if you recognize what's going on. People in broadcast (even in the penny-ante realm of online radio) deal with the same phenomenon and adapt very quickly.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Mar 2012, 15:47

The article mentions variation of the delay during use, which would make it even more difficult to power through. And it is something that people can learn to deal with, but it's 1) very startling at the beginning and extremely disorienting and 2) something you have to want to learn to deal with. If the purpose is to deal with rudeness or transient nuisance speaking, it will probably work very well for that.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Mar 2012, 17:10

Highway wrote:The article mentions variation of the delay during use, which would make it even more difficult to power through. And it is something that people can learn to deal with, but it's 1) very startling at the beginning and extremely disorienting and 2) something you have to want to learn to deal with. If the purpose is to deal with rudeness or transient nuisance speaking, it will probably work very well for that.
Possibly, but elsewhere I've seen discussion of it as a tool to silence protesters and the like, which seems really unlikely..
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Mar 2012, 18:57

As long as I get to have fun with it in faculty meetings it is all good.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 05 Mar 2012, 05:01

I might want one for whenever I get together with my dad.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 05 Mar 2012, 17:08

Eric the .5b wrote:
Highway wrote:The article mentions variation of the delay during use, which would make it even more difficult to power through. And it is something that people can learn to deal with, but it's 1) very startling at the beginning and extremely disorienting and 2) something you have to want to learn to deal with. If the purpose is to deal with rudeness or transient nuisance speaking, it will probably work very well for that.
Possibly, but elsewhere I've seen discussion of it as a tool to silence protesters and the like, which seems really unlikely..
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can learn to talk over it. But it's a weird skill that makes it impossible to, say, have a conversation--the way I deal with distractions like that is to essentially start ignoring everything I hear--and, for that matter, a lot of other sensory input. So you can declaim/protest over it, but probably not chit-chat in the back row.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Mar 2012, 19:09

Jadagul wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can learn to talk over it. But it's a weird skill that makes it impossible to, say, have a conversation--the way I deal with distractions like that is to essentially start ignoring everything I hear--and, for that matter, a lot of other sensory input. So you can declaim/protest over it, but probably not chit-chat in the back row.
Serial offenders would probably learn to talk over it just like I probably could - I'm specifically used to having conversations with exactly that distraction.

Shem

Post by Shem » 08 Mar 2012, 21:28

More proof the Onion can see the future.

11/7/2001

3/7/2012
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Mar 2012, 22:48

Shem wrote:More proof the Onion can see the future.

11/7/2001

3/7/2012

It gets better.
And, she noted, although chain restaurants, buffets and truck stops have been subjects of her reviews, she has eaten at The White House. Twice.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Mar 2012, 23:00

I suspect she meant "White Castle."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Mar 2012, 23:48

Mo wrote:
And, she noted, although chain restaurants, buffets and truck stops have been subjects of her reviews, she has eaten at The White House. Twice.
Oh, yeah! I think I remember editing The Vanity Novel about her. Given how my protagonists are always rich and/or powerful and/or important and/or gorgeous they all blend together, but I'm pretty sure The President spent lots of time drinking cognac and riding in limousines and other rich-guy stuff. There was also a subplot involving A Spy.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Mar 2012, 07:40

Hagerty said her daughter, Gail Hagerty of Bismarck, urged her to read the Facebook comments about her review.

“I told her I’m working on my Sunday column and I’m going to play bridge this afternoon, so I don’t have time to read all this crap,” she said.
That's pretty awesome, actually. You go, girl!

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Mar 2012, 08:29

I like the cut of her jib.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim