Random news finds

Fin Fang Foom

Re: Random news finds

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Nov 2017, 14:07

Uh, so I hope Taken meant to just peace out of everything with that.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Nov 2017, 16:34

Sandy wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 13:20
:? I guess that's suppose to be funny. In any event, it doesn't belong in this thread.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Nov 2017, 16:38

Jennifer wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 13:14
Warren wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 12:49
nicole wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 12:24
Plagiarists are fucking maniacs

https://thewalrus.ca/new-plagiarism-acc ... -bialosky/

Hope she goes down this time
Plagiarists rarely confess their sin, the worst a writer can commit. Almost all, when caught, make excuses. The most common are: (1) everyone does it, (2) it’s not really plagiarism, (3) any similarities are slight or irrelevant, (4) I forgot to cite the sources, (5) quotation marks and citations were accidentally removed, (6) the passages are only a small part of the book, (7) I unconsciously memorized the original, (8) my researcher is to blame, (9) drinking, drugs, or mental illness is to blame, and (10) the critic who caught me is to blame.
Excuses 2 and 3 may be entirely valid. And I could give a pass for 6 and 7 as well.
I can definitely give a pass to 7 -- in very small doses. I know at least once I inadvertently did that -- an earlier draft of the book I'm kinda-sorta working on (the story of the dead woman who can't get into heaven because a pickpocket stole her entrance-ticket) had a working title "Life is Wasted on the Living," which I figured was my own original takeoff of "Youth is wasted on the young" -- until I re-read Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series and was horrified to find that exact sentence coming from the mouth of a dead-ghost character.

But that was a single six-word punchline, NOT something like "Whoops, I unconsciously plagiarized several paragraphs or even several pages' worth of material verbatim." Bullshit.
Yeah, that's the coining of a humorous mock aphorism. How many people attribute Shakespeare's one-liners?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Nov 2017, 19:55

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Nov 2017, 21:46

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Nov 2017, 16:42

I hope they put a gold fringe on Jared Fogle's prison jumpsuit.

unrelated:

John Travolta Accused of ‘Sexual Battery’ by Male Masseur

Pursuant to a conversation elsewhere, I know enough French to known that "male masseur" is redundant; a masseur is male, a masseuse is female. No idea what non-gender-or-sexual-binary massage therapists are called in French.
John Travolta was accused of groping a masseur’s bare buttocks, exposing himself, and making lewd suggestions to the 21-year-old man at a California hotel, according to a police report that has now been published on the website Radar Online.
Why were the masseur's buttocks bare? Inquiring minds want to know. Not see, just know.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Nov 2017, 16:46

the innominate one wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 16:42
I hope they put a gold fringe on Jared Fogle's prison jumpsuit.

unrelated:

John Travolta Accused of ‘Sexual Battery’ by Male Masseur

Pursuant to a conversation elsewhere, I know enough French to known that "male masseur" is redundant; a masseur is male, a masseuse is female. No idea what non-gender-or-sexual-binary massage therapists are called in French.
John Travolta was accused of groping a masseur’s bare buttocks, exposing himself, and making lewd suggestions to the 21-year-old man at a California hotel, according to a police report that has now been published on the website Radar Online.
Why were the masseur's buttocks bare? Inquiring minds want to know. Not see, just know.
They fit better on Travolta's face that way?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Nov 2017, 10:54

God's Army is roaming high-crime areas in Phoenix. Should work out well.

Is this your gang, Andrew?

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizon ... th-phoenix

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 17 Nov 2017, 09:13

The second-in-command of the Jacksonville, FL sheriff's office appears to be unfamiliar with the concept of "warnings".
Ivey, the sheriff’s office’s second in command, defended the merits of writing tickets to help fight pedestrian fatalities. He said that unless and until the city spends the money on things like street design and more and better sidewalks, the office had no choice but to write tickets.

“I’ll throw a scenario out,” Ivey said. “A camera — I don’t care what camera, from convenience store, cell phone camera, I don’t care — catches a policeman sitting there watching people jaywalk all day long across the street, and he’s sitting right there. Then all of a sudden, a car comes along. Kid’s killed. What does the family say, you know? ‘Why didn’t the policeman stop them, tell them, give them a ticket? I don’t care. Why didn’t they do it?’”
https://features.propublica.org/walking ... profiling/

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 17 Nov 2017, 09:16

Maybe he is, after all.
“I think we have a duty to educate, warn, and enforce where appropriate until infrastructure is fixed,” Ivey added. “Otherwise, I think we’d be doing a disservice to the community.”

A couple of hours spent observing who jaywalks in Jacksonville suggests Ivey’s education effort should include his own officers. Over a two-day span, dozens of uniformed Jacksonville police officers were observed jaywalking downtown by ProPublica and Times-Union journalists.

Ivey and his boss, Sheriff Williams, said they could not comment or take action until they had seen evidence of the routine jaywalking by their officers.
Of course, you need evidence for your own officers. Evidence above and beyond the reports of journalists who witnessed it firsthand.

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Nov 2017, 09:28

the innominate one wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 09:13
The second-in-command of the Jacksonville, FL sheriff's office appears to be unfamiliar with the concept of "warnings".
Ivey, the sheriff’s office’s second in command, defended the merits of writing tickets to help fight pedestrian fatalities. He said that unless and until the city spends the money on things like street design and more and better sidewalks, the office had no choice but to write tickets.

“I’ll throw a scenario out,” Ivey said. “A camera — I don’t care what camera, from convenience store, cell phone camera, I don’t care — catches a policeman sitting there watching people jaywalk all day long across the street, and he’s sitting right there. Then all of a sudden, a car comes along. Kid’s killed. What does the family say, you know? ‘Why didn’t the policeman stop them, tell them, give them a ticket? I don’t care. Why didn’t they do it?’”
https://features.propublica.org/walking ... profiling/
I'm more concerned about the camera catching a policeman sitting on his ass all day in one location.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 17 Nov 2017, 10:47

If I were a reporter, I'd be wary of documenting with photos or videos the actions of on-duty cops which might satisfy the evidentiary standards of the brass. They tend to react poorly to being recorded.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Nov 2017, 12:05

If a tree falls in a forest, it was probably captured on somebody's security camera.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer