The Road to Damascus

Aresen

Re: The Road to Damascus

Post by Aresen » 07 Apr 2017, 16:08

JasonL wrote:It's a military response for the twitter generation. Poetic justice more important than efficacy.
Wouldn't dropping Ivy League Poets on them be worse than chemical weapons?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Apr 2017, 16:11

Just that one guy who got into the ivies because of his impressive history of social activism. Him, some paint and signs - whatever props he needs really - and a parachute. We don't want that airfield broke, we want it woke.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Apr 2017, 16:21

Aresen wrote:I have tried to find out what evidence has been obtained that definitively says the Assad government carried out the attacks - if indeed, they were attacks* - but all I've found so far is "We know Assad did it because he is the kind of person who would do it."

What hard evidence is there?

*The Syrian government claims that a bomb hit a rebel chemical weapons store/factory, so even they seem to say that there was some chemical agent involved.
We probably have satellite imagery showing the planes taking off and dropping the weapons over the site. If we aren't watching that stuff, at least passively, 24-7, I would be very surprised.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Apr 2017, 16:24

JasonL wrote:We don't want that airfield broke, we want it woke.
Yeah, that's going in the signature.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Apr 2017, 16:25

I hate myself for that one ...

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Apr 2017, 16:51

JasonL wrote:I hate myself for that one ...
If it makes you feel any better, I hate you for that one too.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Apr 2017, 17:27

dude i'm so jealous you can't even imagine. it's catchy as hell.

it'd be like if you saw someone sous vide a jeep. you'd be all "fuck, dude, they sous vide'd that shit like what" and you'd be ashamed of your comparative lack of sous vide-fu as you watched them cut through the tailpipe like it was butter.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 07 Apr 2017, 17:56

Aresen wrote:I have tried to find out what evidence has been obtained that definitively says the Assad government carried out the attacks - if indeed, they were attacks* - but all I've found so far is "We know Assad did it because he is the kind of person who would do it.
I have not seen hard evidence that the regime did it, but apparently there is solid evidence that the munitions were air-dropped chemical weapons. There is only one player in that game right now with the capability to do that, and that's the Assad government. That might not be a smoking gun but it's pretty convincing.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Apr 2017, 17:58

They only kept one bomb but Jill Stein showed them how to turn it into homeopathic munitions. It's her fault.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD » 07 Apr 2017, 18:00

Painboy wrote:
Mo wrote:Does firing cruise missiles at an airbase do anything?
I'm know cruise missiles can carry sub-munition warheads. Those can tear up both planes and runways. I assumed that's what they used but I don't have the details.

If they are serious about crippling the airbase they need to do an airstrike using Durandals or some such which are designed to penetrate and then explode making much larger and deeper hard to fix holes in the runway.

Even still if the enemy has the support structure to deal with it you may only disable an airfield for a short time. In a full scale war even a partially disabled airbase can significantly check operations in that area but in this low intensity warfare I'm not sure how much significant damage it actually does as other airfields and even open roads can substitute as improvised runways.

According to the reports, 59 cruise missiles were fired, each with (apparently) a 1000-lb warhead, and
The strike...targeted aircraft, aircraft shelters, petroleum and logistical storage, ammunition supply bunkers, air defense systems, and "the things that make the airfield operate," Pentagon spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis told reporters.
If the targeting was good, I'd imagine 59,000 pounds of high explosive would do quite a bit. Even if the runways themselves were relatively undamaged, the airfield is a lot less useful if you don't have planes to operate from it, fuel to put in the planes, ammunition to put on them, etc.

If you want to be conspiracy-minded: sometimes you don't want to trash a runway if you expect you or another friendly power to capture it soon anyway...!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Apr 2017, 22:02

All the former Obama administration officials cheering on the airstrikes make me think that, despite the wild use of them, Obama may have actually restrained murder robot use.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Apr 2017, 22:08

JD wrote:If the targeting was good, I'd imagine 59,000 pounds of high explosive would do quite a bit. Even if the runways themselves were relatively undamaged, the airfield is a lot less useful if you don't have planes to operate from it, fuel to put in the planes, ammunition to put on them, etc.

If you want to be conspiracy-minded: sometimes you don't want to trash a runway if you expect you or another friendly power to capture it soon anyway...!
My understanding is that the Syrians had enough advanced warning to clear the planes out and likely a decent amout of munitions. The fuel and spare parts are likely gone. Also, I don't know why we would need the airbase, we have access to plenty of them in neighboring countries and Syria isn't that big.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Apr 2017, 22:12

Mo wrote:
JD wrote:If the targeting was good, I'd imagine 59,000 pounds of high explosive would do quite a bit. Even if the runways themselves were relatively undamaged, the airfield is a lot less useful if you don't have planes to operate from it, fuel to put in the planes, ammunition to put on them, etc.

My understanding is that the Syrians had enough advanced warning to clear the planes out and likely a decent amout of munitions. The fuel and spare parts are likely gone. Also, I don't know why we would need the airbase, we have access to plenty of them in neighboring countries and Syria isn't that big.
Plus its why we spend literal gigabucks on aircraft carriers. Syria's nice and coastal so US forces don't even need to get overflight permission.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Apr 2017, 22:46

dhex wrote:

it'd be like if you saw someone sous vide a jeep. you'd be all "fuck, dude, they sous vide'd that shit like what" and you'd be ashamed of your comparative lack of sous vide-fu as you watched them cut through the tailpipe like it was butter.
I'm drunk crying

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Apr 2017, 22:52

dbcooper wrote:They only kept one bomb but Jill Stein showed them how to turn it into homeopathic munitions. It's her fault.
:lol:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Apr 2017, 22:52

Kolohe wrote:
Mo wrote:

Plus its why we spend literal gigabucks on aircraft carriers. Syria's nice and coastal so US forces don't even need to get overflight permission.
I have heard that, when a military ship follows a repeated route in a particular area, it is said to 'orbit'. In that sense, the US fleet can nuke Syria from orbit.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Apr 2017, 23:59

I will say this positive thing about the Trump supporters that are pissed about the intervention, they have hewed to their principles more than any Congressional Republican.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 08 Apr 2017, 00:45

dhex wrote:

This is poetry.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Apr 2017, 00:55

Mo wrote:I will say this positive thing about the Trump supporters that are pissed about the intervention, they have hewed to their principles more than any Congressional Republican.
Which one?

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Apr 2017, 01:59

Mo wrote:I will say this positive thing about the Trump supporters that are pissed about the intervention, they have hewed to their principles more than any Congressional Republican.
Ahem. Way to throw your Arab brother under the bus.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Apr 2017, 11:39

The Syrian airstrike = Operation Theranos. An expensive pinprick, hyped by clueless & derided by experts, whose failure means more blood.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Apr 2017, 12:55

Kolohe wrote:
The Syrian airstrike = Operation Theranos. An expensive pinprick, hyped by clueless & derided by experts, whose failure means more blood.
Well at least it wasn't a baby aspirin factory.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Apr 2017, 14:19

Haha whoops
An airstrike by the American-led coalition fighting the Islamic State killed 18 Syrian fighters allied with the United States, the military said on Thursday.

The strike, on Tuesday in Tabqah, Syria, was the third time in a month that American-led airstrikes may have killed civilians or allies, and it comes even as the Pentagon is investigating two previous airstrikes that killed or wounded scores of civilians in a mosque complex in Syria and in a building in the west of Mosul, Iraq.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 30 Apr 2017, 22:00

How they gonna prevent airstrikes with a patrol of armored vehicles?
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Apr 2017, 22:47

MANPADS probably.