The Road to Damascus

Aresen

Re: The Road to Damascus

Post by Aresen » 09 Feb 2017, 10:40

Taktix® wrote:
nicole wrote:It's like you want Syria to be a failed state with no government, Hugh.
Yes, without the loving caress of the U.S. Military, a failed state in Syria might spawn a terrorist organization or something. We need to bomb the children, for the children...
It's Assad state of affairs.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Feb 2017, 00:17

Aresen wrote:
Taktix® wrote:
nicole wrote:It's like you want Syria to be a failed state with no government, Hugh.
Yes, without the loving caress of the U.S. Military, a failed state in Syria might spawn a terrorist organization or something. We need to bomb the children, for the children...
It's Assad state of affairs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 08 Mar 2017, 21:52

Send in the marines!!

Does a couple of hundred in a "temporary" deployment count as the unleashing of our warriors that Sarah Palin promised?
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Mar 2017, 22:08

fyodor wrote:Send in the marines!!

Does a couple of hundred in a "temporary" deployment count as the unleashing of our warriors that Sarah Palin promised?
Is this 'temporary' like the three month operation in Iraq in March 2003?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 08 Mar 2017, 22:21

Under the existing limits put in place by the Obama administration, the military can have up to 503 U.S. forces in Syria. But temporary personnel do not count against the cap.
*facepalm*. With exceptions that big, why bother having rules.

Remind me what the current state is of congress declaring war in Syria?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2017, 22:26

Oh fuck me. What the fuck are you doing Donald? Sticking your toe in like some little girl on the lake shore trying to see how cold the water is. It's fucking freezing alright. So before you get wet, get a fucking plan, and then take the plunge. Don't go poking at that hornets nest with a stick, you'll get stung.

Hey, maybe then he'll have the good sense to not fuck with it, like Reagan in Lebanon. I mean it could happen. Couldn't it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Mar 2017, 07:12

Well, at least they won't have decent internet access anymore.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Mar 2017, 16:08

Warren wrote: like Reagan in Lebanon. I mean it could happen. Couldn't it?
In today's light, there isn't much in the rear view mirror of history that seems as unlikely as Reagan pulling out of Lebanon after the barracks bombing. Nowadays that would be considered yella. Trump is maybe something of a cipher so far on foreign military intervention so who knows , but I sure don't trust his ear whisperer Steve "clash of civilizations" Bannon.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Apr 2017, 08:32

In tonight's all-new episode: US President says that Syrian government using chemical weapons crosses a red line
"It crossed a lot of lines for me," the president said during a Rose Garden news conference on Wednesday with Jordan's King Abdullah. "When you kill innocent children, innocent babies, little babies, with a chemical gas that is so lethal that people were shocked to hear what gas it was, that crosses many, many lines, beyond a red line, many many lines."
Still, when pressed on how he would respond, Trump was coy and reiterated he didn't want to show his hand and would remain flexible.

"I now have responsibility, and I will have that responsibility and carry it very proudly," Trump said.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Apr 2017, 10:27

Hugh Akston wrote:In tonight's all-new episode: US President says that Syrian government using chemical weapons crosses a red line
"It crossed a lot of lines for me," the president said during a Rose Garden news conference on Wednesday with Jordan's King Abdullah. "When you kill innocent children, innocent babies, little babies, with a chemical gas that is so lethal that people were shocked to hear what gas it was, that crosses many, many lines, beyond a red line, many many lines."
Still, when pressed on how he would respond, Trump was coy and reiterated he didn't want to show his hand and would remain flexible.

"I now have responsibility, and I will have that responsibility and carry it very proudly," Trump said.
Oh great, now he is going to try his hand at five sided, eleven dimensional fairy chess.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 06 Apr 2017, 10:38

From what I've read Trump has given a lot of latitude to Mattis. Mattis in turn has decided to step up the operations and let the commanders on the ground more leeway. It's clear that he wants to give current forces what they need to finish these conflicts as quickly and efficiently as possible. Regardless of one's opinions on the likelihood of that happening, it's not clear that the administration wants to get involved in any other major conflicts yet.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Apr 2017, 11:21

Painboy wrote:From what I've read Trump has given a lot of latitude to Mattis. Mattis in turn has decided to step up the operations and let the commanders on the ground more leeway. It's clear that he wants to give current forces what they need to finish these conflicts as quickly and efficiently as possible. Regardless of one's opinions on the likelihood of that happening, it's not clear that the administration wants to get involved in any other major conflicts yet.
Yeah, one possible scenario is that the US continues its push against ISIS in Syria until Raqqah et al are secure, then shifts the press against Assad's forces (and dare the Russians to get in the way)

(Or buy them off somehow. Or, since this whole thing will take years, hope Putin himself's grip on power has been destabilized by that time. And heck, Putin is right at the median life expectancy for Russian males, though he probably doesn't drown himself in vodka like half of them do)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 06 Apr 2017, 13:52

The comment about this changing his mind about Syria made me think of Jimmy Carter saying that the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan was a revelation to him about the Soviets.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Apr 2017, 21:32

It has begun.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... tagon-live

Another western military intervention in place I will never be able to care about.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Apr 2017, 21:47

dbcooper wrote:It has begun.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... tagon-live

Another western military intervention in place I will never be able to care about.
I am sure this will help the people of Syria.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Apr 2017, 22:37

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Apr 2017, 23:07

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Apr 2017, 23:30

Kolohe wrote:
I regret clicking on that link.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Apr 2017, 03:22

Crusty Juggler wrote:A billionaire unilaterally ordering missile strikes from his mansion? Ummm...#MAGA?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Apr 2017, 06:22

Now all Trump has to do is make Syria pay for the Tomahawks

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Apr 2017, 15:47

Does firing cruise missiles at an airbase do anything?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Apr 2017, 15:50

I have tried to find out what evidence has been obtained that definitively says the Assad government carried out the attacks - if indeed, they were attacks* - but all I've found so far is "We know Assad did it because he is the kind of person who would do it."

What hard evidence is there?

*The Syrian government claims that a bomb hit a rebel chemical weapons store/factory, so even they seem to say that there was some chemical agent involved.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Apr 2017, 15:51

Mo wrote:Does firing cruise missiles at an airbase do anything?
It makes the POTUS feel potent.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Apr 2017, 15:59

Mo wrote:Does firing cruise missiles at an airbase do anything?
I'm know cruise missiles can carry sub-munition warheads. Those can tear up both planes and runways. I assumed that's what they used but I don't have the details.

If they are serious about crippling the airbase they need to do an airstrike using Durandals or some such which are designed to penetrate and then explode making much larger and deeper hard to fix holes in the runway.

Even still if the enemy has the support structure to deal with it you may only disable an airfield for a short time. In a full scale war even a partially disabled airbase can significantly check operations in that area but in this low intensity warfare I'm not sure how much significant damage it actually does as other airfields and even open roads can substitute as improvised runways.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Apr 2017, 16:04

It's a military response for the twitter generation. Poetic justice more important than efficacy.