The Road to Damascus

dhex

Re: The Road to Damascus

Post by dhex » 26 Jan 2018, 09:06

How well did IRA bombings in London deter the Brits from marching troops and APCs around Northern Ireland?
the answer is complicated: it helped until it didn't help.

what various republican groups committed to violence eventually did was create a contrasting space for the non-violent republican/peace groups, which in turn created enough breathing room for the ruc to crack down on prod squads.

the brit overreaction certainly helped kickstart the resolve of peace groups after bloody sunday (by creating martyrs and showcasing their brutality to the wider public) but holy shit that process dragged like hell.

so sort of but not really and your point is ultimately largely correct.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jan 2018, 10:09

Warren wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 18:22
Nuclear weapons. If you want insurance that the USofA isn't going to erase your social order because it's on the rag this week, you detonate a nuke. That's it. That is the only thing that will deter American FUTW military intervention. And it will absolutely do that. We might fuck with you some other way, but we're not going to rain death from the skies and we damned sure aren't going to invade you.
That particular deterrent is looking a little iffy right now, given the way Trump tends to listen only to those who agree with him.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Jan 2018, 10:22

I don't think there are any great answers to anything in global security, including staying home. I look around and ... it kind of seems like most of the big problems were always going to be problems. Possibly / almost certainly situations have been exacerbated by our behavior but a lot of it is at its core freaky people being freaky.

I snicker a little bit when I hear suggestions that Kim was going to do anything other than get a nuke. To Warren's point, there's nothing better than a nuke for a person who leads by oppression and doesn't care about economic incentives because he already has all national wealth anyway. If nuke material and nuke know how is out there to be had, all those people will have it. I used to feel like in some cases you needed to interdict those situations, but I don't really see any way to stop it. If DPRK can do it anyone can. We are and will continue to be living in a multi polar nuclear balancing act and there's not anything to be done about it tbh.

ISIS is basically COBRA. I don't think you can leave them alone. Once you don't leave them alone you have all the problems in the region at your doorstep, but man I really don't think you can just leave them alone for they are super freaky with a doomsday mindset. We should have left Saddam alone but we didn't and I'm not sure we wouldn't still have similar looking problems in any event. These factions would still exist. They would have people willing to fund them.

All in all, I'd reduce military spending by 20% or so to start and see what happened over the next few years. I'd probably still be trying to kill ISIS and deal with whatever Syrian fallout you have to deal with. Come home from Afghanistan. Close other bases. I think Trump is a healthy corrective to NATO dependence on US spending.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jan 2018, 10:46

JasonL wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 10:22
ISIS is basically COBRA. I don't think you can leave them alone. Once you don't leave them alone you have all the problems in the region at your doorstep, but man I really don't think you can just leave them alone for they are super freaky with a doomsday mindset.
I still think leaving them alone is the best of all possible worlds. That doomsday mindset is ultimately self defeating. The question is how much external damage do they do before they turn on themselves? And the point being made is, when they do any at all, the cry for blood and vengeance rings out across the land.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Feb 2018, 18:44

Alleged ISIS operative 'Jihadi Jack' begs Canada to let him come here

Fuck him and the Toyota Hilux he rode around in.

I don't want any involvement with the Syrian civil war or ISIS, but if you go off to join ISIS, you deserve what you get.

I don't buy for a minute his story that he went on a 'vacation in Syria' in the middle of a civil war.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Feb 2018, 19:10

Looks like we killed a couple of Russians last week. There are rumors on the internet of hundreds of Russians killed, but this is the only reputable news source I found.

http://m.jpost.com/Middle-East/Russians ... ria-542447
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 13 Feb 2018, 10:57

Uhboh, the NYT is picking up the reports of dozens of Russians dead. The Kremlin says they were mercenaries and disavows involvement, but this is still bad.

Dozens of Russians Are Believed Killed in U.S.-Led Syria Attack https://nyti.ms/2BrdrDv
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Apr 2018, 23:46

Now this here thread, this is the one that never ends.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Apr 2018, 15:12

Nikki Haley. "Locked and loaded." It would be nice if there were American politicians talked like people who occasionally did things other than watch bad TV.
Last edited by Fin Fang Foom on 15 Apr 2018, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Apr 2018, 00:14

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 15:12
Milk Haley. "Locked and loaded." It would be nice if there were American politicians talked like people who occasionally did things other than watch bad TV.
That grates on me too. Especially having served as an enlisted man. You don't get to be one of the guys fuckface. And here's another newsflash for you, we don't look forward to going into combat. Stick that gung ho rah rah up your ass. You want our support? Keep us home.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Apr 2018, 17:42

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 10:57
Uhboh, the NYT is picking up the reports of dozens of Russians dead. The Kremlin says they were mercenaries and disavows involvement, but this is still bad.

Dozens of Russians Are Believed Killed in U.S.-Led Syria Attack https://nyti.ms/2BrdrDv
Yeah, one might not want to look at that too closely...

A Russian investigative journalist who wrote about the deaths of mercenaries in Syria has died in hospital after falling from his fifth-floor flat.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."