Have you accepted Nothing as your lord and savior?

Hugh Akston
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Have you accepted Nothing as your lord and savior?

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Jul 2019, 03:03

Interesting article on the challenges of establishing and maintaining secular communities that approximate the religious congregation
Sosis’s point is that while costly sacrifice might not be present in these communities—and they may be suffering for that reason—they have other tools in their toolkit. They already have collective singing and live music, for example, which sets meetings apart from everyday experiences. And he believes they can and will adapt over time, evolving into something closer to conventional religion, even if no deities are involved. Secular congregations can become as meaningful as religious ones, he said, “but there has to be a sense of transcendence … Transcendence is what gives the community a higher level of meaning than going to Johnny’s Little League game.” It might mean developing more rituals, or sharing more stories. It might mean that ideals they already espouse—such as helping others, or finding wonder in nature—get elevated to a sacred level. The irony is that to get away from religion, they may need to re-create it.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jul 2019, 12:04

Hugh Akston wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 03:03
Interesting article on the challenges of establishing and maintaining secular communities that approximate the religious congregation
Sosis’s point is that while costly sacrifice might not be present in these communities—and they may be suffering for that reason—they have other tools in their toolkit. They already have collective singing and live music, for example, which sets meetings apart from everyday experiences. And he believes they can and will adapt over time, evolving into something closer to conventional religion, even if no deities are involved. Secular congregations can become as meaningful as religious ones, he said, “but there has to be a sense of transcendence … Transcendence is what gives the community a higher level of meaning than going to Johnny’s Little League game.” It might mean developing more rituals, or sharing more stories. It might mean that ideals they already espouse—such as helping others, or finding wonder in nature—get elevated to a sacred level. The irony is that to get away from religion, they may need to re-create it.
That's got a lot of appeal to me. I think of myself as a spiritual person, but I have little tolerance for One Book belief systems.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by lunchstealer » 26 Jul 2019, 17:43

I don't think of myself as spiritual at all, but I like pretty buildings and taking stuff seriously sometimes and pretty music and the social aspect of belonging to a congregation.

Not enough to really go to church, mind, because that would involve getting up on a Sunday morning, which I'm already upset about having to do to take mrs lunch's damned dog out.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jul 2019, 18:54

Hugh Akston wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 03:03
This is basically what Unitarians have been doing for decades.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Jul 2019, 20:21

And Rotarians as well.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jul 2019, 18:36

Are Rotarians down with atheists*? Every once in a while I've thought that sort of organization might be good for giving me some better grounding in the local community, but every one I've looked into has a 'higher power' thing, and while I can obfuscate and say I'm a lapsed Presbyterian in certain social situations, I'm not doing it for membership in a voluntary organization.

*Or at least apatheists who mostly would rather switch the channel before talking earnestly about gods and ghosts.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 28 Jul 2019, 20:54

I think the Rotary Club is business secular.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Jul 2019, 20:58

Dangerman wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 20:54
I think the Rotary Club is business secular.
Every service club I've ever been involved with invokes god at some point, usually in their constitution.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Jul 2019, 07:02

Rotary in all my limited dealings is 100% secular in their outreach operations. No idea about membership tho.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Aug 2019, 22:03

I think there was an underlying assumption in most of those organizations that everyone was on-board with an occasional, vague nod to the Almighty whom, it was also assumed, everyone was at least vaguely a believer in. Unlike, say, the Masons or the Knights of Columbus, however, it's cultural theism at most. My longstanding prejudice was that they're all fraternal organizations for people who never went to college and joined a frat or else who did and actually enjoyed it. In retrospect, though, I suspect they're little more than networking opportunities, which is probably how most people now view their actual religious affiliations, too.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 01 Aug 2019, 22:11

I thought "surely not the International Order of Odd Fellows! I mean, not much sets you more apart as odd than atheism". Which unfortunately led me to this site. Because *of course*. Lutherans are so completely paranoid. When I was growing up literally everything was a false god or a cult.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Aug 2019, 23:26

dead_elvis wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 22:11
I thought "surely not the International Order of Odd Fellows! I mean, not much sets you more apart as odd than atheism". Which unfortunately led me to this site. Because *of course*. Lutherans are so completely paranoid. When I was growing up literally everything was a false god or a cult.
Every church/religion regards all the others as worshippers of false gods or members of a cult. Atheists do the same, only make it universal and pretend they are exempt.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Aug 2019, 03:54

Aresen wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 23:26
dead_elvis wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 22:11
Every church/religion regards all the others as worshippers of false gods or members of a cult. Atheists do the same, only make it universal and pretend they are exempt.
Hell I think atheists who think atheism is important are cult-adjacent.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Sep 2019, 00:51

https://deadstate.org/mormon-church-pub ... bvOcPXxVgA

Mormon church publishes Sunday program with Obi-Wan Kenobi on the cover

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Sep 2019, 00:54

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 05 Sep 2019, 01:39

Gordon B. Hinckley. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Nov 2019, 11:27

Kentucky atheist can get ‘IM GOD’ license plate, US court rules
Ben-Hart-FFRF-Photo.jpg
Ben-Hart-FFRF-Photo.jpg (87.7 KiB) Viewed 208 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2019, 13:25

Oh yeah? Well I've got a few complaints I'd like to discuss. I've prepared a PPT stack. You should take notes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Nov 2019, 14:15

What amuses me is that according to the plate we are all under that one guy. It kinda shows the folly of pretending that religiously neutral references by the gov’t to a generic god are actually religiously neutral.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Nov 2019, 19:14

dead_elvis wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 14:15
What amuses me is that according to the plate we are all under that one guy. It kinda shows the folly of pretending that religiously neutral references by the gov’t to a generic god are actually religiously neutral.
1) We are all equal, some of us more than others.

2) Apparently God is one of us.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Nov 2019, 16:35

From Preaching to the Choir Ministries:

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Nov 2019, 14:30

Warren wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 13:25
Oh yeah? Well I've got a few complaints I'd like to discuss. I've prepared a PPT stack. You should take notes.
The lack of an apostrophe makes me read this as a command to Instant Message God.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex