Have you accepted Nothing as your lord and savior?

Hugh Akston

Re: Have you accepted Nothing as your lord and savior?

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Feb 2019, 02:26

While picking up dinner this evening I overheard a middle aged couple discussing the problem of evil, specifically regarding an acquaintance who was doing pretty well for himself despite being an atheist. The wife wondered why god rewarded atheists with happiness and prosperity, and the husband argued that he didn't so much reward them as allow them to prosper in spite of their wickedness, and went on to cite other examples such as Saddam Hussein.

I left before I could find out whether the idea of an indifferent god was any more comforting an idea than a capricious or malicious demiurge. Reading deeper it's hard not to see this as a class complaint of the same form that millennials pose where the people who flout the rules get all the goods while they followed the rules but ended up as doughy lower middle class slobs.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Feb 2019, 08:47

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 02:26
The wife wondered why god rewarded atheists with happiness and prosperity,
Using one's mind analytically does tend to help in the happiness and prosperity department.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Feb 2019, 11:22

A significant (read: alarming) number of religious conservative Republicans are supporters of Israel because it fits into their eschatology given a stupid, literal reading of Revelation. Neocons, an admittedly dwindling number, still support Israel because its a useful military ally, though not as useful or dependable in days past. Flat out antisemitism is pretty much confined to the Alt-Right crowd, though among Evangelical Protestant conservatives, Jews are part of the enemy "Them" that ain't "Us" and that include Roman Catholics, as far as that sort of thing goes.

Christendom universally requires the use of water and invocation of the Trinity (i.e., "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son....) and is universally and reciprocally recognized as a valid sacrament whether it's done by an RC priest or a Big Box Prot. Except, that is, for those protestant denominations that contend the baptized must have attained the age of reason and decided for him or herself to be baptized. Most famously, this includes the Baptists, who don't recognize infant baptism (typically referred to by those who do practice it as Christening) as legitimate on those grounds, so what Jasper witnessed was probably an inverted version of the dubious sacrament of confirmation. Of course, they're all free to make up whatever rituals fit their particular spin on traditional Christian doctrine, but the point is that if water wasn't involved, it wasn't a baptism.

Confirmation, First Communion and such are sufficiently hazy even in the traditional, sacramental branches of Christianity that the rules for who gets confirmed and who gets "received" (which acknowledges prior confirmation) are all but unintelligible, depending not only on custom and practice but, e.g., whether the denomination requires the rites be performed by someone who has been properly ordained, raising also the question of what counts as ordination. Strictly speaking, any baptized Christian can baptize someone else (yes, even the RCs believe this, though only in extreme circumstances such as imminent death) and any (heterosexual) Christian couple not otherwise impeded can marry one another, hence the distinction of being married in the church as opposed to by the church. Theologically, the church acts as a witness and offers a blessing after the officiant, as witness, "pronounces" them to be married after exchanging vows.

Thus concludes our theology lesson for today. There will be a quiz on Wednesday.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Feb 2019, 11:39

Hugh Akston wrote:
While picking up dinner this evening I overheard a middle aged couple discussing the problem of evil, specifically regarding an acquaintance who was doing pretty well for himself despite being an atheist. The wife wondered why god rewarded atheists with happiness and prosperity, and the husband argued that he didn't so much reward them as allow them to prosper in spite of their wickedness, and went on to cite other examples such as Saddam Hussein.

I left before I could find out whether the idea of an indifferent god was any more comforting an idea than a capricious or malicious demiurge. Reading deeper it's hard not to see this as a class complaint of the same form that millennials pose where the people who flout the rules get all the goods while they followed the rules but ended up as doughy lower middle class slobs.
I think people, christians and non alike, generally underestimate the importance of Job to keeping the whole project from falling apart.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Feb 2019, 12:00

dead_elvis wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 11:39
Hugh Akston wrote:

I think people, christians and non alike, generally underestimate the importance of Job to keeping the whole project from falling apart.
I'll never understand how anyone takes Job straight. It's so obviously a farcical comedy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 25 Feb 2019, 15:47

It was the first thing we read in a Meaning of Life philosophy class I took. (Blind Watchmaker was the second thing)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Feb 2019, 15:59

dead_elvis wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 11:39
"Our omnibenevolent deity willingly inflicts death and horrible suffering on people who worship him because a disgruntled former employee double dog dares him to" should be the first thing anyone knows when they sign the EULA for Christianity.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Feb 2019, 16:10

Warren wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 12:00

I'll never understand how anyone takes Job straight. It's so obviously a farcical comedy.
I dunno, the comedy in the movie version was more dark than farcical, but I could see that changing if god hired different scriptwriter-directors.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Feb 2019, 17:21

dead_elvis wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 16:10
Warren wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 12:00

I dunno, the comedy in the movie version was more dark than farcical, but I could see that changing if god hired different scriptwriter-directors.
Yeah. That's Coen siblings so yeah.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 26 Feb 2019, 05:34

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 15:59
"Our omnibenevolent deity willingly inflicts death and horrible suffering on people who worship him because a disgruntled former employee double dog dares him to"
I'm stealing this.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Feb 2019, 14:27

Tuco wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 05:34
Hugh Akston wrote:
"Our omnibenevolent deity willingly inflicts death and horrible suffering on people who worship him because a disgruntled former employee double dog dares him to"
I'm stealing this.
If I'm not mistaken, the original version of Job is from back when Satan wasn't a fallen angel, but just God's loyal accuser.

In other words, the prosecutor and the judge were bored one day, and they started making bets on what this innocent guy would do as the prosecutor kept fucking him over.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Feb 2019, 14:36

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:27
Tuco wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
I'm stealing this.
If I'm not mistaken, the original version of Job is from back when Satan wasn't a fallen angel, but just God's loyal accuser.

In other words, the prosecutor and the judge were bored one day, and they started making bets on what this innocent guy would do as the prosecutor kept fucking him over.
Correct The Book of Job is straight out of the Mesopotamian belief in a 'god of light/god of dark' system.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Feb 2019, 08:34

Eric the .5b wrote:
Tuco wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
I'm stealing this.

Like Trading Places.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Feb 2019, 08:54

Mo wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Tuco wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
I'm stealing this.

Like Trading Places.
Haha. Yes this seems right.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 27 Feb 2019, 17:27

God punished one of His pets as a lesson to one of his eldest children.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Mar 2019, 01:36

As I reflect back upon the roots of my heresy*, I suppose I can give some credit to my 7th Grade teacher, Mr. Byzinski, for taking our class to see Jesus Christ Superstar. I recently stumbled upon this absolutely wonderful (and free) rendition (incl. John Legend as Jesus): https://www.nbc.com/jesus-christ-supers ... rt/3689643

I'll also point out that this is one of a few official rock operas, contemporaries of Tommy and Quadrophenia.

*A conflicted and more contextualized Jesus allowed me to consider the possibility that he was probably just a random radical who had a few good ideas that were probably taken a bit too far.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Mar 2019, 21:32

Does it make me a bad person slash bad libertarian that I want to avoid using service companies that are conspicuously aligned with hay-zeus?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Mar 2019, 21:51

Eh. No. I get the whole thing where we don’t want to have to care about those things, but brands are brands and they have those effects. Brands that are designed to engender positive feelings by way of some vector should expect the counter reaction.

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Mar 2019, 09:23

Exactly
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Mar 2019, 09:41

Telling me that "a penny from every loaf of Perfectbread® goes to support the work of Holy Gospel Christian Crusade" (with Pastor Billy-Bob Bigot) is a pretty sure way to get me to reach for a competitor's product.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Mar 2019, 18:27

Pretty sure no one is going to side with the Catholic Church this time. Fool me once ...

https://nypost.com/2019/03/11/catholic- ... sex-abuse/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Mar 2019, 19:09

Mo wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 18:27
Pretty sure no one is going to side with the Catholic Church this time. Fool me once ...

Is the demand being made on R. Kelly's behalf? Like, sure R. Kelly's awful, but he's nothing compared to our history, so give him some slack?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Have you accepted Nothing as your lord and savior?

Post by Mo » 11 Mar 2019, 19:20

At least the Catholic Church probably peed on fewer people per capita.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Mar 2019, 19:43

Mo wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 18:27

"Apparently, the only acceptable bias these days is against the Catholic Church,” the diocese said in a lengthy statement. “The faithful of our Church are disgusted by the harassment by those in news and entertainment, and this sketch offends millions. The mockery of this difficult time in the Church’s history serves no purpose.”
That 'only acceptable bias' phrase sets my teeth on edge every time I hear or see it. It's almost a confession of guilt.

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Mar 2019, 23:49

There's so many acceptable biases.

Also the brass balls on these fuckers. They have at least a few hundred r Kellys in their recent history.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch